Austria

Hello dear chipmusic fellows!

First of all thanks to all for keeping that forum alive and helping each other out.
I am Patrick from Austria and i enjoy chipmusic since i was a little kid.
I think the sounds of an gameboy, nes, genesis or c64 are so stunning, they unlock parts of the brain that could be described as euphoric or even psychedelic nature.
As i am more of an modder than an composer, i would like to ask you, my friends, to help me out with some links for tutorials to get me going on composing in LSDJ.
The Stuff i really like is arpeggiated sounds, most known in c64 chiptunes, but i heard those on gameboys too.
Because of a lack of money i sold all my gear one year ago (MidiBox SID MB6582, Casio SK1, alot of gameboys and synths, grooveboxes etc.)
I really regret that step, but now i want to restart slow and just concentrate on my little gameboy big_smile

Thanks to all who are willing to help me out. You can also comment on my blog (which i started one week ago), i will always post the newest projects there (hopefully the parts are coming soon). You can reach my blog here: http://chipmod.blogspot.com
I would really appreciate if we could help each other out, and i am also interested in finding new friends that share the same interest smile

So long, i wish you all the best, peace and love

Patrick

BK

Read the LSDJ manual over and over. Just go through it once a day- things will eventually fall into place.
Also, check out LSDJguides on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/LSDJguides

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

You're so courteous I almost feel bad for telling you to learn how to use the power of the internet. Almost.

Learn how to search, man. I'm so tired of these 'how do you use this' threads. Jeez, there's stickys and stuff. There's Google and YouTube. Sigh. Everything can be found without you asking for help. Shit, I started making music without asking one on here. Without any tutorials at all actually. Seriously.

But since you were so nice, I didn't say any of this meanly. smile

Savannah, Georgia
Auxcide wrote:

You're so courteous I almost feel bad for telling you to learn how to use the power of the internet. Almost.

Learn how to search, man. I'm so tired of these 'how do you use this' threads. Jeez, there's stickys and stuff. There's Google and YouTube. Sigh. Everything can be found without you asking for help. Shit, I started making music without asking one on here. Without any tutorials at all actually. Seriously.

But since you were so nice, I didn't say any of this meanly. smile

+1. but really, it all goes downhill when you first learn holding select and using the d-pad switches menus.

Last edited by Aeros (Jul 23, 2012 1:31 am)

Madison, Alabama
Kris k wrote:

Read the LSDJ manual over and over. Just go through it once a day- things will eventually fall into place.
Also, check out LSDJguides on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/LSDJguides

The manual is good.  Read it.

Austin, Texas
Aeros wrote:

but really, it all goes downhill when you first learn holding select and using the d-pad switches menus.

I am pretty sure I figured out that B+D-Pad tabs between sequential pages and chains without going up the menu tree entirely on accident and it blew my mind and I never went back. yikes

Really, though, the best way to learn is to LURK MORE.

(I know that is kind of a dickish way to put it, but I really wanted to say it before Saskrotch.)

Sincerely, though: Welcome aboard, RyuX! We're all going to have a good time! smile

Austria

Hey guys,

thanks for your input. You are all absolutely right ! I could have done more research and use google and youtube.
But on the other hand, i think there is not one single Topic in this forum that you couldnt find on google and youtube or any other site.
Any Forum would be dead in almost no time if no questions are about to be asked twice big_smile

I know that it sometimes can be painful to see new topics with the same questions all the time, again and again and again wink
So i feel ya'

I just thought that some of you, who are really experts, have some hints for someone like me that you cannot find on google by typing "LSDJ Tutorial".

I printed out the LSDJ Manual now, and will read through it tomorrow.

So far, thanks for all of your time heart

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

That's definitely a good start. I wish I had printed the manual when I first started. I'm glad you're not taking this personally. You'll do fine here. smile

Last edited by Auxcide (Jul 23, 2012 3:18 am)

New York
RyuX wrote:

I just thought that some of you, who are really experts, have some hints for someone like me that you cannot find on google by typing "LSDJ Tutorial".

probably the best thing to do would be try out the program with the knowledge you get from the manual, tutorials, and your own experimentation. once you're comfortable with it, then come to us and ask for some tips, when you know what you would like to improve or learn more about

orange county, CA

what a nice dude. hope all is going well in your tracking and composing.

Austin, Texas

We are such a happy family. big_smile

The best teacher is the hands-on experience. Go through the manual with the game boy right there in front of you.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

I highly suggest you to find the time to learn the basics with the manual, learning basics tricks, the classical sound designs...

then

Forget everything that you've learned, and you're gold. And please enjoy!

Gorinchem, The Netherlands

Dude, I'm sort of in your boat as well - mostly a modder but also getting more interested in actually crafting music. I consider myself a general electronic hobbyist that dabbles in Gameboys, and I certainly engage in that stuff with more inspiration and enthusiasm than I would approach writing music with, especially since I have no formal music background at all. But I still want to pick up composing more seriously at some point. I'd be perfectly fine just tinkering though, so we'll see. smile

Maybe it's a bit superfluous, but I agree with the advice above. I also often hear the tip of downloading .savs to check out other people's techniques.

Austria

Good to hear that there is also other ppl like me tongue
I think all of the advices are good, and i will try my best to achieve my goal smile

Hopefully the parts arrive soon (LSDJ, pocket for parts, arduinoboy parts etc.) and hopefully i will be able to solder the pocket display to the DMG, because i want to have some sort of ultra DMG (internal midi, bivert, prosound, pocket display, custom case,buttons, white inverted backlight, pitch mod etc.)

thanks to all of you big_smile
Keep doing what ya all doin' heart

Chicago IL
Telerophon wrote:

Really, though, the best way to learn is to LURK MORE.

(I know that is kind of a dickish way to put it, but I really wanted to say it before Saskrotch.)

i would never say "lurk more".

México, DF.

Listen to a lot of music.