Forest Maze

Welp Lazare bubsy if you eve come back, I wrote a song just for you

http://chipmusic.org/nuclace/music/lazares-theme

no hard feelings

Forest Maze
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

They try to sound like they're more knowledgeable than the average user even though it's the first time they've posted in the forum. The classic inflated internet ego.

I read through the thread again this morning, and I never get the tone that this guy knew more than anybody else, I saw he said, he has no knowledge of the work that goes into it, and that he was just wanting music that didn't use a game boy.

Last edited by NUCLACE (Aug 1, 2012 6:13 pm)

Katowice, Poland

I didn't read whole topic, i guess it would be pointless but... I think the main reason of today's things get going on is what chitpune artists listen to.

Decade ago there were other inspirations, no dubstep & electronic/glitchy pieces but melodical pop, tunes from C64. Experimenting with non-melodical stuff started for good about '97 and later (obviously there were many such tunes before but it wasn't that popular). It could be possible thanks to new machines, new samples and birthing VSTi.

It is easy to observe how has changed the tracker scene by simple looking into the .mod/it/s3m/xm files. First era with poor samples has an easy goal: to recreate modern or natural sounds. We had Moby's rock tunes, Bruno's funk first attempts, Walkman's piano pieces and so on. Next age comes with ability to record/create synths voices. For example, we have these two guys: Lizardking, Revisq (a bit later); they had many tunes with sampled synths and it was blockbusting! But the second one started to esacape from melody as long as Lizardking keeped giving to us many sweet leads. With 1997, if I recall correctly, when there were many different samples yet, there have formed many subgroups specializing in making noise tunes and they started to be mainstream in the demoscene environment. There was no longer need to recreate natural sounds if there were such good sounding samples. Although, obviously, some artists like Reed, Quasian or Smash didn't stop to make funky/rocky/jazzy tunes.

Why do I tell about tracked tunes and not chiptunes? For two reasons: chiptune genre is a mirror of other genres and people's look at music, how its goal is, what it supposed to sound is, etc. and, earlier, chiptune was a product of almost only demoscene artists.

Also, nowadays it's easier to start with making not melody but own waves/sounds. Many new artists start their practice from creating unusual sound, the melody and harmony start to be peripheral in this deal. Unfortunately, some of them are forgetting to back to learn melodies.

Greetings.

Last edited by Jakim (Aug 2, 2012 2:55 am)

BOSTON

oddly enough, i think this turned into a pretty good thread

Unsubscribe
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

oddly enough, i think this turned into a pretty good thread

agreed

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Very insightful and well said, Jakim.
I attribute my love of melody to my videogame upbringing and musical instrument backgrounds.

Brunswick, GA USA

Related but not the OP's topic

http://reuters.com/article/idUSL6E8IOE3 … 6?irpc=932

Joliette, QC, Canada

Everything Jakim said ! big_smile

chipmusic must belittle belittle belittle

NC in the US of America

And if everybody is listening to each other's music, our music will start to be influenced by the music of our peers big_smile.

Auxcide wrote:

Very insightful and well said, Jakim.
I attribute my love of melody to my videogame upbringing and musical instrument backgrounds.

Add to that my exposure and embracing of melodic classical music at a young age, and also church hymns.

Holland

Nice post Jakim.

Yay melody.

Holland

I guess the only thing I could really contribute to melodic (chip)music is continue to make them. :-)

As chiptunes without bore me incredibly fast.

Canada

Thanks again to everyone who was nice and introduced me to some new artists,
I was not attempting to come off as a "know-it-all" as I know very little about the creation process of any of this music,
and the only kind of musical training I've had were 2 years of piano lessons when I was a child, which I loathed.
I'm still digging through this thread to find more of the music people have posted, and plan on scouring the release and constructive criticism to see what else  can find.

@minusbaby, that 6955 video is astounding, have you tried opening multiple tabs with that video and playing them all? It's intense.

@NUCLACE: no hard feelings, and I really liked my theme XD.

Scotland

www.edwardshallow.bandcamp.com

The majority of my music focuses on melody.
Particularly, World Head Law.

Earth

I really don't mind if people want to make noise, or really effective melodies. I really don't care, just make it interesting. Be yourself. Obviously, the people who make chip now are much more diverse than demosceners. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.