clovis CA

i dont like change! sad

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Thank god it's coming along.

Why not just choose pink link text like 8bc? That seemed to work well.

Also I'm totally against a dark background. We have one here and over at Noichan so I think sticking with the light background it a must.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

Thank god it's coming along.

Why not just choose pink link text like 8bc? That seemed to work well.

Also I'm totally against a dark background. We have one here and over at Noichan so I think sticking with the light background it a must.

I agree with that last bit, but I believe he's trying to distance himself from 8bc, seeing as it's a new site and all.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Yeah I thought about that too. It's good he's trying to bring his own into it rather than just clone 8bc.

My Igloo

I think Sam is doing a great job and I don't understand why some people seem pissy about it!? When it gets the face lift and some more users it's gonna be perfect...Hope to see some of you over there!

Last edited by PolarBirds (Aug 3, 2012 4:06 pm)

kitsch wrote:
µB wrote:

Yeeeeeaaaah, that's right!

i heart you

putting record on, now.

yeah, I happened to be listening to this today.

vancouver, canada

my one beef with the site is the ambiguity of the name.

do i pronounce it "micro-collective", "u-collective", or "mu-collective"?  why is there no tutorial explaining what the alt-key combination is to produce the mu character, or at least a tip explaining what the unicode value for the mu character is?

i also understand the spirit of continuing 8bc's legacy (the good parts of it at least), but i'm not so sure that duplicating its exact layout and functionality is what we need. i think something more is needed and i hope the fine folks there will do more to differentiate the site from 8bc.

Harrisonburg, Virginia

I mean, even if it is an exact clone layout-wise of 8bc, I don't see a problem with that, since a lot of people liked that and don't really have an equivalent site right now. Also, since he's in development, if you want to suggest things to him, you still can. I'm sure Sam will at least listen to any ideas or criticisms you have. He seems to be pretty stoic about any criticisms (harsh, constructive, or both) that have come his way through the site's development.

vancouver, canada

naw, sam's a good guy and i'm sure he's doing what he can.  i'm pretty sure my comments have already been made in a similar form by someone else anyway.

and yeah, i don't actually have a problem with a site being like 8bc in layout and functionality.  the question is whether or not such a site is enough to meet peoples' current needs anyway.

in other words, even if 8bc itself came back, is it robust/relevant enough in its current form to wrangle back in a scene that has fragmented and decentralized since 8bc's fall?  (btw fragmentation/decentralization isn't a bad thing, it's just a fact of how the scene has evolved.)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

There's a databent cat in the image section.

I think it's heading in the right direction.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
bryface wrote:

in other words, even if 8bc itself came back, is it robust/relevant enough in its current form to wrangle back in a scene that has fragmented and decentralized since 8bc's fall?  (btw fragmentation/decentralization isn't a bad thing, it's just a fact of how the scene has evolved.)

I think that if 8bc came back, it would at least regain some of its more frequent visitors. uC on the other hand? I don't know how well it's gonna do, since noichan and cm.o kinda took over from where 8bc left off and have been doing so for a while now. I can't wait for uC's redesign, but I just don't know how well it will do. People do put music up on there quite frequently, though, so it's definitely not hurting for activity right now. The forums are quite dead, though.

NC in the US of America

I thought this was a beauty pageant thread. sad

It seems like the uC forums would be more active if the homepage led to the forums instead of to the music section. Also, the italicized "recent posts" section on the side doesn't exactly draw the eye or make a person want to click those links.

Brazil

I'm waiting the ultimate battle between the forums.

SketchMan3 wrote:

I thought this was a beauty pageant thread. sad

It seems like the uC forums would be more active if the homepage led to the forums instead of to the music section. Also, the italicized "recent posts" section on the side doesn't exactly draw the eye or make a person want to click those links.

That would just make it the same as this site though, why would anyone want 2 news oriented chipmusic sites.

It's the line between chipmusic and 8bc that made them so different.

MUSIC(8BC) | FORUMS(CM.O)

In fact being led to a forum section makes it less inviting imo. Specially if the forum is blank half the time. Being shown a music page just shows that anyone can post. It's way more inviting, it's more lively.

2 things that hold UC back.

-It's not unique. People aren't excited. People are already situated here. The website needs sharing about, possibly the best thing you could do to help it grow.

-A lot of people hold a false grudge against 8bc and UC is in many ways similar to that site.

The main attraction of UC is that people WILL get their music heard. (Granted that the user base grows) I think that this feature of the site should be boasted.

they could call it grrrrrrreat bit collective

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Je Mappelle wrote:

-A lot of people hold a false grudge against 8bc and UC is in many ways similar to that site.

Agreed. I may just be showing my newness/non-involvement in the community, but why did/do people despise or at least not like 8bc? I can understand that the forums were a sort of magnet for idiots/derpiness, but the music section was my main (if not only) source for chipmusic and a lot of the the stuff posted there was great.