California

I think it was from the drama in 2010. I joined after that occurred so I'm still not exactly sure what happened, but I believe it ended up in people splitting from 8bc and forming CM.o

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NC in the US of America
Je Mappelle wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

I thought this was a beauty pageant thread. sad

It seems like the uC forums would be more active if the homepage led to the forums instead of to the music section. Also, the italicized "recent posts" section on the side doesn't exactly draw the eye or make a person want to click those links.

That would just make it the same as this site though, why would anyone want 2 news oriented chipmusic sites.

It's the line between chipmusic and 8bc that made them so different.

MUSIC(8BC) | FORUMS(CM.O)

In fact being led to a forum section makes it less inviting imo. Specially if the forum is blank half the time. Being shown a music page just shows that anyone can post. It's way more inviting, it's more lively.

Yeah, that's true. I can see the appeal. They do need something big to set them apart from 8bc. Maybe a SoundCloud embed BBCode? Hm. Maybe I should go over there and talk about this stuff, come to think of it.

Russellian wrote:
Je Mappelle wrote:

-A lot of people hold a false grudge against 8bc and UC is in many ways similar to that site.

Agreed. I may just be showing my newness/non-involvement in the community, but why did/do people despise or at least not like 8bc? I can understand that the forums were a sort of magnet for idiots/derpiness, but the music section was my main (if not only) source for chipmusic and a lot of the the stuff posted there was great.

8bc went downhill because of the Jose Torres (co-founder of 8bc) incident which involved all sorts of backstabbing and plagiarism. Jose ended up banning old members from 8bc which led them to form this website.

I agree with you about the music section and it sucks that we don't really have anything like that anymore.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Je Mappelle wrote:

8bc went downhill because of the Jose Torres (co-founder of 8bc) incident which involved all sorts of backstabbing and plagiarism. Jose ended up banning old members from 8bc which led them to form this website.

I agree with you about the music section and it sucks that we don't really have anything like that anymore.

Well, technically, noichan and here are pretty much the same just without charts or the same love/bookmark system.

And I thought that's what was up with the 8bc hate. If that's still around and people are already labeling uC the same way before it can even make a name for itself, that's kind of petty. Wait, what am I talking about "petty", I'm posting on cm.o. ;D

Last edited by Russellian (Aug 3, 2012 8:14 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Most had grudges against the music ratings and the users there.

I liked the music section as did many here. It was a quick way to find music and a lot of it was good.

That died and now derpness comes here. I mean some dude just posted a link to a youtube video of him playing Doom. Stupid shit that didnt have anything to do with chipmusic, or was posted by a 5 year old, or was a troll was sniped away by 8bc keeping this site much more informative and serious.

The circlejerking and popularity contests have started forming here. If this site were to have a rating system like 8bc did we would be seeing the same exact favoritism we saw at 8bc. It's a sign the user base here has gotten a little wonky.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Aug 3, 2012 8:17 pm)

Chicago IL

http://ucollective.org/images/Alexpowrs … te+%3A%29/
http://ucollective.org/images/FotonCat/ … +commando/
http://ucollective.org/images/Jredd/ZOOMBIE/

you don't even have to go digging for this stuff guys it's on the front page

You know, a lot of forums have trolls and stuff. Look at your reply on that post "8-Bit-Rex", why are you re-directing him to UC.O? Are you better than the people there? You shouldn't take it out on a small community (if you could call it that). What you should do is ignore it.

Popularity contests are awesome in my opinion, gets people really working rather than just releasing the same LSDJ album every half a year. Also when the focus is purely on music is drapes in people from all over the scene, not just people that go to chip shows.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

The circlejerking and popularity contests have started forming here.

I don't really see any popularity contests here. It's mainly just a hard and fast focus on chiptunes and outright hate for anything else. I'm not disagreeing, it's just an observation. I wasn't active enough on 8bc's forums, but I assume they actually allowed for general discussion there instead of a stern focus on only chiptune discussion?

Was there really never any stupid shit here? I mean, I guess you could classify Swimm's and others' posts as "comedy" or "humorous," but I can't really take you guys seriously when people like Je Mapp, Swimm, Saskrotch, etc. post a bunch of ridiculous shit and it's seen as comedic gold/given a pass because they contribute to the community or have been here for a while. It's like "We can post random bullshit, but you new people?...yeah, fuck off." I mean, I like their ridiculous posts, just not the fact that everyone bitches about when other people do the same. Double standards and shit, bro.

Je Mappelle wrote:

Popularity contests are awesome in my opinion, gets people really working rather than just releasing the same LSDJ album every half a year. Also when the focus is purely on music is drapes in people from all over the scene, not just people that go to chip shows.

There are pretty obvious pros and cons to this model as were discussed in that thread a couple months back. Popularity contests do seem to force people to make music and sometimes to innovate. Many times, though, they do really draw in people who will make tracks for the sole purpose of getting a lot of likes/loves/bookmarks/comments. Those songs could be innovative, they could be generic dancey shit. Regardless of their content, they were usually good on 8bc. Usually.

Last edited by Russellian (Aug 3, 2012 8:57 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Honestly...I just don't want to see a dozen pictures of a hedgehog in a thread I was originally interested in. My crabby attitude lately has stemmed from that.

Edit: Anyway...I think uC is coming along nicely and I definitely do look forward to browsing the music section late at night while continuing to come here for forum stuff.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Aug 3, 2012 8:59 pm)

Forest Maze
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

in a thread I was originally interested in..

You must have really needed to learn how to drop the bass in lsdj

Harrisonburg, Virginia
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

Honestly...I just don't want to see a dozen pictures of a hedgehog in a thread I was originally interested in. My crabby attitude lately has stemmed from that.

Fair enough. I still think you guys can just ignore that stuff, since it doesn't exactly derail a thread. Also, you can request that they stop. You know...because talking usually works better than passive aggressively posting in a separate thread about it and not mentioning Je Mapp's name.

I'm amused and slightly annoyed at how childish the solutions some you guys come up with can be. Instead of actually confronting people (and I don't mean posting in the same or a different thread subtly referencing people and things) in public or private like adults, you guys post a slew of new threads mocking each other. I mean, by now, you're basically asking for the shit people post. It's a reaction to the passive aggressive/snarky nature around this forum. Not like that's gonna change any time soon, and I may be totally off-base, but most of the shit that's happening now can't really be blamed on 8bc closing anymore. It's about the reaction to it and the nihilistic nature coming from you guys. "This forum is already dead" or "I hate this but will only insult you to make you go away" or the ever-faithful "CHIPTUNE IS DEAD."

tl;dr: Nerds gettin' angry makes other nerds get angry.

Last edited by Russellian (Aug 3, 2012 9:08 pm)

Harrisonburg, Virginia
NUCLACE wrote:
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

in a thread I was originally interested in..

You must have really needed to learn how to drop the bass in lsdj

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/h/hedge … 105106.gif

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my post right there.

Chicago IL
Russellian wrote:

I can't really take you guys seriously when people like Je Mapp, Swimm, Saskrotch, etc. post a bunch of ridiculous shit and it's seen as comedic gold/given a pass because they contribute to the community or have been here for a while. It's like "We can post random bullshit, but you new people?...yeah, fuck off." I mean, I like their ridiculous posts, just not the fact that everyone bitches about when other people do the same. Double standards and shit, bro.

I've started 4 threads i'd consider "off-topic" since 2010. I don't come here to post buillshit, but when someone starts a thread that could've been solved with any kind of search (be it forum, google or youtube), I'll let them know that they're dumb and lazy in the funniest way I can think of. I don't start shit, but I do what I can to finish it.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Saskrotch wrote:

I've started 4 threads i'd consider "off-topic" since 2010. I don't come here to post buillshit, but when someone starts a thread that could've been solved with any kind of search (be it forum, google or youtube), I'll let them know that they're dumb and lazy in the funniest way I can think of. I don't start shit, but I do what I can to finish it.

I look up to Saskrotch. He does a good job and we value his service.

saskrotch has a really cute pic

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Saskrotch wrote:

Exactly, and that's why I love what you do. heart

I'm saying that people bitching about junk posts have selective memory and neglect your or others' posts in a similar but slightly more acceptable vein. As I said, I like your guys' bullshitty/funny posts. I'm not devaluing them. I'm saying I like them. smile