There should be a countdown timer on this thread or on the site in general.

San Luis Obispo, CA

Only had a couple of hours to work on this, and won't have time tomorrow so I'm posting it a bit early! I don't know much about fine art or art history, but love print making. The image is based on one of my favorite woodblock prints. Here's my 24 hour challenge version of "The Breaking Wave Off Kanagawa" by Katsushika Hokusai, originally created in 1831:

Here's the palette I used:

The top three colors are from the color wheel originally posted by Ogrim, with the fades to black or white below each. Ended up not using a couple of the initial colors. Wish I had more time to work on this. sad

NEXT CHALLENGE: OCTAVIALSILVER

Draw an image inspired by the worst nightmare you've ever had (make one up if its too horrifying to share), using this palette:

Must be 640 px wide and height doesn't matter.

A gray world of dread

Nice work! That's one of the pictures I have on my wall. The fingers of the wave are spot on, only the guys seem to have been swept out of their boats. Great Wave Off Kanagawa: One wave later tongue

Westcoast Norway

Excellent work, Crystal Labs! I like your choice of the print, as it is well known smile Cool to see the palette also, as it is evolving.

San Luis Obispo, CA

Thanks, guys! smile

FERNDALE, MI, USA

accepted!

it's 11:00 pm here.

Minneapolis

BTW, amazing work on the big wave Crystal Labs, it's quite excellent. I actually think it looks neat without the fishermen, and not like a cop out. Fantastic use of the palette too!

FERNDALE, MI, USA

so this is getting fairly ridiculous so far. but quickly becoming my favorite pixel art yet. tongue

Philly/NY

Fuck yeah, Hokusai. Great work, Crystal Labs - I love seeing well done pixel art ukiyo-e!

San Luis Obispo, CA
octavialsilver wrote:

so this is getting fairly ridiculous so far. but quickly becoming my favorite pixel art yet. tongue

Can't wait to see it!

enso wrote:

Fuck yeah, Hokusai. Great work, Crystal Labs - I love seeing well done pixel art ukiyo-e!

Thanks, man. Still interesting in doing some art for STFUAJPGM?

Philly/NY
Crystal Labs wrote:
enso wrote:

Thanks, man. Still interesting in doing some art for STFUAJPGM?

Of course! Just let me know what and when!

FERNDALE, MI, USA

i really wish i had a bit more time to work on this, in the end i just ran out of time. but here it is in all its nearly finished glory, my "nightmare."

for the record ive not had this dream nor do i want to, as i very rarely remember my dreams in the morning.

[click for actual size, so you can see some detail]

Spokane

nicework octavial! ;D! i like the text you made.

Philly, PA, USA

is that like a zombie c-men?
it's terrifying and awesome, nice work

New York City

"A zombie c-men"??? hahhahahhaa laughing my ass off at that big_smile
That's an interesting pic, oct! Good job.

Make a challenge now!

FERNDALE, MI, USA

thanks for all the kind words everyone!

umm, who has said they would like to be challenged and has not yet been challenged?