Chepachet, Rhode Island

I agree with spacetown.
When people ask me and a couple buds about Chipmusic when we busk I have to take a second and think whether I should give out CM.org or not. A year or two ago I'd have given it out without hesitation...but now...

I've been saying "go to CM.org...but ignore the forums just go to the music at the top" and that's my gut response so something's definitely changed.

Edit: Of course as I write this I realize all the current bumped threads are either releases, tutorials or tech threads. Sonofabitch.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Aug 4, 2012 6:50 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Man, I don't see why everyone is hating on these forums. I've been to a lot of other forums and they have much worse trolls and derailment. At least here it's all contained into single threads. Most real trolls try to attack as many threads as they can, not here. Everyone's looking at the negatives but we do so much good here too. I try and answer legitimate questions and concerns and I know others do as well.

I'd recommend this place anytime but with the warning of lurking first

San Diego, CA
Auxcide wrote:

Man, I don't see why everyone is hating on these forums.

See, I'm not so much hating; it's more that I want us to do better. I think that's the best way to put my stance. I'm still telling people to come here -- I'm just doing it with more hesitation than I used to.

buffalo, NY

I just want to say that I thought you were SpacemanFantastique too.  Whooooops

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Auxicide, It's because it never really used to be like this.
These days everyone just posts whatever and whenever they feel like it even if it doesn't really serve a purpose.

Seriously no hate by this...just an example... you have 60 pages of posts here in under a year.

Ant1 (who you said you blocked to make things quieter) has 77 pages over the course of THREE years.

Forums are a place for discussion. Not texting each other back and forth 30 times a day.

I mean I say all this but I still visit the site every day for releases and stuff. I'm just 25 and hate change.

San Diego, CA
danimal cannon wrote:

definitely editing my profile now big_smile

BOSTON
spacetownsavior wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

definitely editing my profile now big_smile

Seriously... Ive been under that assumption for over a year and obviously havent given you a fair shake. it REALLY sucks that its not just me D:

Hopefully this clears it up a bit

Cambridge UK

Where does it say that everyone posting should do so in a way that furthers the education of the general population on the topic of chipmusic?

Cambridge UK

I mean it is my understanding that this is a forum by and for the people interested in chipmusic, not a perfect representation of the chipmusic community to The World. This is not a PR site, right?

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

Auxicide, It's because it never really used to be like this.
These days everyone just posts whatever and whenever they feel like it even if it doesn't really serve a purpose.

Seriously no hate by this...just an example... you have 60 pages of posts here in under a year.

Ant1 (who you said you blocked to make things quieter) has 77 pages over the course of THREE years.

Forums are a place for discussion. Not texting each other back and forth 30 times a day.

I mean I say all this but I still visit the site every day for releases and stuff. I'm just 25 and hate change.

In truth, I didn't block ant1. tongue

And, no hate to ant1 here, he doesn't post as much or help people using lsdj. And a lot of my posts are in the threads that I've made. Such as time signatures and poly rhythms in lsdj, talking about the Kaoss line, my album, helpful tips for an ep, etc.
We're not the best to compare, we're wayyy too different as users. Yes, I do post in a conversation style, but why not? This is a forum and you're my friends. I have taken to talking more outside out of here, so mebbee that'll make you happier. People appreciate that I help them though, and that's what this place is about.

it's a real small subset of chip musicians on any of these forums tbh.

San Diego, CA
George wrote:

I mean it is my understanding that this is a forum by and for the people interested in chipmusic, not a perfect representation of the chipmusic community to The World. This is not a PR site, right?

I don't think cm.o should be a PR site, definitely, but that doesn't mean we can't try and be more mature. No one here has an obligation to educate anyone on chipmusic (or anything, for that matter) but I feel like we'll be a better community if we do. Obviously it's not that simple, but I don't think it's a terrible thing to want a central chipmusic site to help others understand what we're all about on our terms.

Again, I'm not trying to dictate that anyone does anything; it's more like an appeal. It's not an unreasonable trait to desire, and as the medium reaches more people there will only be more new listeners; we might as well be mature about it. And maybe cm.o isn't that site, or maybe we won't even have a site at all, maybe it'll be the artists that play big shows and festivals that put that representation out there, but I don't think it hurts to try, at least.

Cambridge UK

This is not the site's mandate, and I don't reckon it'd be better if it were. Netlabels and events are there to promote chipmusic

San Diego, CA

The thing is, neither of us are really in a position to mandate what the site is or isn't -- we can only conduct ourselves in a way that we want others to follow. I mean, if the current state is where the site is headed, I can't really do much about it but try to be helpful and post where I can. Ultimately the site turns into whatever you want it to be through your interactions on it...I would just rather it be helpful; I can go to 4chan for trolling.

And as far as promoting chipmusic goes: as immature as it may be, I still respect *whatever* it is enough to try and speak well of it when I can. It's not a "job" to me, it's just what I should do...I don't need to wait for a netlabel or whatever to do it for me.

Cambridge UK
spacetownsavior wrote:

The thing is, neither of us are really in a position to mandate what the site is or isn't

*clears throat*

chipmusic.org wrote:

Welcome to chipmusic.org, an online community in respect and relation to chip music, art and its parallels. We are working hard to add features that will indubitably inspire and encourage our community, but feel free to join us now as we aim to find a comfortable balance between the ethereal and nonsensical.

"inspire and encourage our community"
not
"represent and promote chipmusic to the world"

I also like the last bit which could be translated as "chill out".

San Diego, CA

Well if you want to be semantic about it the community is actually just "in relation to chip music, art, and its parallels"...the features being added are meant to inspire us or whatever. Not that it matters; I'm on the platform of "be mature and people will think better of us", not "we need people to think better of us so be mature", and this conversation isn't about whether cm.o is meant to promote chipmusic anyway. I only mentioned our community being represented in public as an example of how being less trollish and inane could benefit us. At the very least, it couldn't hurt.