New York
Russellian wrote:

I think James' point was that you shouldn't have to go to a different site to talk with the people you want to talk to on this site, and that we should have an area for general discussion, both of which I agree with.

Isn't the General Discussion part of the forums for general discussion? I thought that was what it's for.....

Parallelis wrote:

Isn't the General Discussion part of the forums for general discussion? I thought that was what it's for.....

EXACTLY.

"General Discussion" seems to always have this aura of "general discussion, as long as it relates to the scene." I remember one of the first topics I ever made was about a video game and the responses were along the lines of, "this isn't the place for that," when the only thing I could think of is, "general discussion isn't the place for...general discussion?"

although I could have just been stupidly and n00bishly taking the bait for trolling back then.

But really, the chip community really does have the capability to get 4channy really fast. I'm definitely purposefully silly sometimes, but that's specifically not my thing too much.

Last edited by an0va (Aug 4, 2012 3:12 am)

Brunswick, GA USA

Think of it like an electric circuit with no ground. If you don't have a place to send the noise, it gets stuck in your circuit and the stuff you want gets noisy and overloaded.

Savannah, Georgia
chunter wrote:

Think of it like an electric circuit with no ground. If you don't have a place to send the noise, it gets stuck in your circuit and the stuff you want gets noisy and overloaded.

oh my god

I've been saying for months now that all we need is just some dedicated shit thread for all the garbage to go. A place for senseless banter. There's nothing wrong with off topic talk. There's nowhere else that we can really all meet up to talk besides here, at least not right now.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
an0va wrote:

"General Discussion" seems to always have this aura of "general discussion, as long as it relates to the scene."

That's what I've thought ever since I joined this board. The reason most boards have a General Discussion for anything at all is because general talk will happen elsewhere if you don't. So, if you have a dedicated General subforum (which I thought General Discussions was), you usually eliminate the unrelated banter across a forum (well, most of it, anyway).

Savannah, Georgia

we probably do need an off-topic thing where the posts don't show up in the recent posts unless you say so

New York
Frostbyte wrote:

I've been saying for months now that all we need is just some dedicated shit thread for all the garbage to go. A place for senseless banter. There's nothing wrong with off topic talk. There's nowhere else that we can really all meet up to talk besides here, at least not right now.

why can't this just be our shit thread?

Last edited by Parallelis (Aug 4, 2012 4:54 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Me and Nuclace had that shit thread that had no topic to be derailed, but people didn't like it. So many hedgehog lives were lost in there. . . sad

Parallelis wrote:
Frostbyte wrote:

why can't this just be our shit thread?

i've tried that with at least three threads in the past and people completely ignored the suggestions

New York

calling nuclace....calling nuclace

The Bronx
an0va wrote:

I remember one of the first topics I ever made was about a video game and the responses were along the lines of, "this isn't the place for that," when the only thing I could think of is, "general discussion isn't the place for...general discussion?"

Your butt is the place for general discussion.

- - - - - - -

Having a section for general discussion doesn't mean that we ought to accept deliberate topic derailments and obvious trolls as commonplace. What do you think this is, the United Nations?

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Well no, but can't it mean that we have a place to post things not about chiptune? I mean, you can enforce thread closures and bannings like usual, just some place to store the off-topic stuff would probably be beneficial to the forum.

The Bronx

Maybe!

IL, US

when it comes to off topic sections, i'm opposed...i remember it having a negative effect on 8bc back when we first made one over there.. we already allow some off topic stuff in the forums (threads about movies and video games often are safe enough), but straight out having a section for it leads to some just plain stupid stuff and makes it harder to find important troubleshooting threads and things like that