Seattle, WA US

I think if people are silly enough to feed trolls, those of us smart enough to abstain from doing so should be able to enjoy our well-deserved chuckle

shanghai

i dont mind troll threads bacause i like being really fucking rude to dumb cunts on the internet. in real life im a chilled out guy.

IL, US

sorry james, but we're probably always going to close most troll threads...you may want more posts, but i only want more posts if they offer something of value and troll threads rarely lead to anything besides a bunch of people being all pissed off at their keyboards typing idiocies that i then have to read... i get that you may like watching train wrecks for comedic value, but thats not what the site is for

Lexington, KY

What happened to Jabberhonkey?

Brazil

OFF TOPIC NEVER FORGET

Brunswick, GA USA

All you need to do is look  at a 3 year old thread to see the turnaround. I know personally that I don't check boards that have at least some idle chatter because boards that only regurgitate news aren't interesting reads, especially when good news isn't easy to come by...

The Bronx

- - - - - -

To address the original topic... while I understand that the bulk of active users here are close friends on- and offline therefore this forum ought to closely reflect that fact, it's really not meant to be a free-for-all chit-chat site; otherwise the name and URL wouldn't have been so specific to its purpose: chip music. We have IRC for trolling, creating in-jokes, exercises in stream of consciousness and other stuff not directly related to chip music. It's even in real-time. Science.

Besides, if you feel that there aren't enough interesting topics here, the only real solution isn't to succumb to nonsense like the Black Eyed Peas did after releasing "Bridging the Gap", but to promote and instigate interesting stuff like De La Soul have been doing since 1989.

Tacoma, WA

obvious trolls will be obvious...

egr wrote:
TSC wrote:

Goddammit. Can someone just whip up a shitty board, complete with white background and bouncing game boy to clear this fucking place out.

I suppose the easiest way to solve the issue is to just not visit this board anymore...

...or kill anyone under the age of 20.

http://ucollective.org/ is supposed to be exactly that.  Not catching on, unfortunately.

How does stuff like this slip by.

BOSTON
e.s.c. wrote:

sorry james, but we're probably always going to close most troll threads...you may want more posts, but i only want more posts if they offer something of value and troll threads rarely lead to anything besides a bunch of people being all pissed off at their keyboards typing idiocies that i then have to read... i get that you may like watching train wrecks for comedic value, but thats not what the site is for

oh i appreciate a well moderated front page and am not advocating anything different. My point was merely an observation. perhaps there should be an area where things are allowed a bit more leeway; a conversational chip playground of sorts.

minusbaby's post seems to suggest that there isnt interest in that on the part of the mods and that "there are other places", but unless this is an intentional effort to fragment the scene, i think thats exactly the problem right now. CM.o *should* be the go-to spot for chiptune-related discussion, not just an uncluttered front page. the lack of a centralized hub hurts the scene, trolls or not.

The Bronx
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

minusbaby's post seems to suggest that there isnt interest in that on the part of the mods and that "there are other places", but unless this is an intentional effort to fragment the scene, i think thats exactly the problem right now. CM.o *should* be the go-to spot for chiptune-related discussion, not just an uncluttered front page. the lack of a centralized hub hurts the scene, trolls or not.

How is not wanting to see random images of hedgehogs in an otherwise good thread and threads begun by impostors an "intentional effort to fragment the scene"? I think you may be mistaking administration for tyranny.

BOSTON

ahh you're right, after re-reading your post it looks like I misunderstood what you meant; you were advocating supporting more interesting discussion here whereas I was interpreting it as "take that elsewhere", my bad.

I still thing we need a chip chat playground though wink

The Bronx
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

ahh you're right, after re-reading your post it looks like I misunderstood what you meant; you were advocating supporting more interesting discussion here whereas I was interpreting it as "take that elsewhere", my bad.

I like the idea of a playground, too.

Tacoma, WA
minusbaby wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

I like the idea of a playground, too.

noichan chatroom...

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Vellain wrote:

noichan chatroom...

I think James' point was that you shouldn't have to go to a different site to talk with the people you want to talk to on this site, and that we should have an area for general discussion, bot of which I agree with.

Brunswick, GA USA
Russellian wrote:

and that we should have an area for general discussion, bot of which I agree with.

This is the only board I visit that doesn't have an OT section.