México, DF.

Re-harmonization.
Basically, you can use a lot of different progresions to support a melody.
For example, if your melody is playing an E, your chords can be Am, C^, E^, Em, etc., etc., etc. Why? Just because those chords have E on them. You can even use available tensions, like a G^13 because the 6th/13th is E.
It's not that hard, you just have to look for chords that share the same notes in order to support the melody. So, you have to get your scales together.

Brunswick, GA USA

I had a teacher who said the root word in reharmonize is "harm." I think he was the same one who said the root word in analyze is "anal."

Another thing to try: hold one note and see how many chords you can spell around it whether you seem to change the key or not.

México, DF.

For a reference, it is good, but you can also give it another root and explain everything again with other bunch of modulations and modal interchanges. Herp derp, music is beautiful.

Austin, Texas

You guys are gonna make me crack music theory textbooks again…

I am terrible at this stuff, but I've always found musictheory.net to be a particularly helpful little primer.

NC in the US of America
SadPanda wrote:

My 2 rules are:

1. If it sounds right, it is.
2. If it sounds a little off, close enough.

Edit: Bonus Rule: If it sounds good, better add some glitches.

Rule 1 is what I live by. I only use theory to explain stuff after the fact.

Another thing to try: hold one note and see how many chords you can spell around it whether you seem to change the key or not.

I love doing that.

ant1 wrote:

are you asking for rules about breaking the rules?

No. I was just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts and ideas were on the subject. Just looking for a general discussion on it. Not really looking for a tutorial specifically for me, just insights and musings.

Paso del Rey, Argentina

Interesting topic.

I think that the more knowledge about harmony you have, the easier you´ll be able to break the rules. By the way, one should have the criteria to discover when the rules should be broken and whent they shouldn´t.

As it has been said here, you can give totally different harmony to a given note, and of course, on the contrary, you can create very different melodies over a given chord or over a chord progression. In theory, any sound can be preceded or followed by any sound, and any chord can be preceded or followed by any chord, being the only judgement basis, the way it sounds. Of course, there are common chord progressions and scales which fit them easily. (In fact, jazz players tend to think in scales and chords as two different expressions of the same thing). Knowing this kind of relationships between chords and melody can be useful if you want to explore new sounds and break the rules of tonality.  It could bealso  useful to know how to harmonize a given scale.

Theoretically, any note could be played in most situations, the key here is, HOW you play it. Do you play it over a strong or a weak beat? At which volume do you play it? How do you attack it? Which not precedes it? to which note it will be leaded? In traditional instruments (knowing the tecnique of the instrument) it is easier to give the proper expression to a note that does not belong to the tonality, however I think that it can be made also in chipmusic.

Finally, the disonance must not necessary be in the main melodic part, What about a disonance on the bass line? Just listen to jazz walking bass players and you´ll have a huge inspiration resource there.

rochester, ny

can you share examples?

washington

I think chipmusic needs more chord tension. just take a note from a chord, and flatten it by a half step. Or put two notes a half step away from each other in the same chord, that can have fun results. Sometimes it just sounds wrong, but other times it's super cool.

Brighton/Southampton
boomglitch wrote:

I'd just suggest listening to and studying Stravinsky's works.

Stravinsky's a VERY good composer to study. "The Rite of Spring" (and other 20th century works) frequently uses a tonal technique called "Bi-tonality" where there are essentially two key signatures going on at once. It sounds very dissonant at times (I guess to can say it sounds atonal, even though it really isn't), the way he does this, but at other points, it sounds beautiful.  This is because of the conflicting nature of each key signature.

For example, a little way into this piece, he combines Eb Major and E Major, and it ends up sounding very clashy, but the music is still tonal.
Certain combinations can sound good (eg. Tonic + Dominant works well). It's a trick that's fun to experement with.

There are no "rules" to tonality, but you can reinforce them if you want to (ie. 16th Century Counterpoint). But, even geniuses like Bach broke the "rules"

Last edited by Fearofdark (Aug 6, 2012 7:39 pm)

NC in the US of America
Victory Road wrote:

listen to/study kwwrr, especially the album "Big Times" (although it's all consistently dissonant & yet really thoughtfully written and sensible)

Just checked this out. Yeah, you're right. It has an underlying feeling of coherency that permeates throughout, and it has moments of a clear understanding of the basic "conventional" rules, and the dissonance is meaningful. And it still has an element of "melody" to it, however disjointed.

I feel all hoity toity, but I can't describe it any other way =q

Thanks for posting that, btw.

There are no "rules" to tonality... unless you were aiming to compose counterpoint in the style of Bach (and even he breaks the rules)

Yeah, you're right. I should have said "Getting away from conventional western tonality" instead.

And Bach is awesome. He made a composition based on the letters of his name, (H is A, if I'm not mistaken) Edit: It's actually B. That's awesome.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 8, 2012 6:13 am)

Lexington, KY

A nifty way to reach truly atonal sounds in LSDJ is with the PU FINE detune! I like to call the areas between sharp and natural 'narps'

Brunswick, GA USA

For those who are ready;

No matter how complex your notes, there are only four functions in harmony: tonic, dominant, subdominant, and transitional. Regardless of how you make your notes or how consonant they sound, your song will still follow those for functions, even if you define a tritone stack or flat ninth as "tonic." Once you understand this, there are no rules.

It is also permissible to drive tension by a means other than harmony, such as rhythm, lyric rhyme, or outright storytelling. Just something to think about.

Brighton/Southampton

Yeah, you're right. I should have said "Getting away from conventional western tonality" instead.

And Bach is awesome. He made a composition based on the letters of his name, (H is A, if I'm not mistaken). That's awesome.

Bach is probably my favourite classical composer.

Another way of "breaking the tonal centre" which you could be describing in your first post can be achieved by using whole tone scales. Unlike normal major/minor/modal scales, these just go up in whole tones (eg. C, D, E, F#, G#, A#, C). Because there are no semitones in a whole tone scale, there are no resolutions (ie. You can't create proper cadences). This produces a "mysterious" effect.

Although the composition could have an actual key signature, whole tones are a way of disguising it in order to create tension/make things more interesting.

An example, Berg's "Nacht" (whole tones right from the start, but then at 0:49 we get a cadence) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RzlaMU1RVA
A chiptune example is Velathnos's "Action 53" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItbJ7r__ … ature=plcp (again, whole tones from the start)

It is also permissible to drive tension by a means other than harmony, such as rhythm, lyric rhyme, or outright storytelling. Just something to think about.

This is also very true.
Dynamics are a great way to produce tension, and it's one that's often overlooked in chiptune I've found.

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

you should study all my tunes yikes)

i noticed recently that everyone forgot how much better i was than all the new dudes

Seriously. I'm not even kidding-I could write theses on ZZZV chord modulations. Do you play piano?

3:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMUEn6bQ3LQ

edit: also, wtf is the "that Avril Lavigne chord progression?"

Fearofdark wrote:

A chiptune example is Velathnos's "Action 53" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItbJ7r__ … ature=plcp (again, whole tones from the start)

That tune has fami-blastbeats! omg awesome

Last edited by an0va (Aug 6, 2012 9:40 pm)

edit: derp, deleting for accidental hat trick

Last edited by an0va (Aug 6, 2012 9:28 pm)