X

Hey everyone,

Awhile back I came here to get some ideas for hardware projects and a battery powered mixer was something that a number of people wanted. I've basically gotten the design finished for said mixer and hopefully will be able to breadboard the design once I get some parts, then a full prototype, and then maybe a custom PCB + enclosure deal.

I got thinking about one thing the other day though, would people be interested in a more modular design? What I mean by that is that there will be the base mixer module and then you can plug in an EQ module or an FX send module into each channel and expand the mixer capabilities that way. That way for people who just want a cheap mixer with no bells or whistles can have that, but others have the option of adding things to it to suit their needs. I may need to rework the design to deal with power routing to the modules and such, but if people are interested I think it could be pretty neat.

So let me know what you think, and if anyone has questions I will do my best to answer them here.

Cheers

Last edited by skybreaker (Aug 14, 2012 3:56 am)

Turku, FIN

Modular design sounds super neat!

Ohio

I'm interested.  Will the number of channels be expandable? Is it going to be something like a Eurorack/FRAC style mixer modules that can be linked together?

X

@KeFF - Thanks!, I thought it would be nice to allow people to configure the mixer to their needs somewhat.

@BTS - I think it may be fixed at 3 or 4 channels, but if I can figure out a good way to do so I suppose its an option. As far as connecting the modules goes I was thinking about having separate modules that connect via a bus that provides power and connects the audio signals as opposed to having them joined with audio cables, but all of that is still up in the air

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

This is a really cool idea. Very interested to see how this goes.

shanghai
Auxcide wrote:

Unsubscribe
Auxcide wrote:

X

@Auxide, Downstate, and herr_prof - Thanks! I'm glad that people are interested in the whole modular design thing, I'll try and get some sort of mockup done soon, and I'll work on getting a prototype built as soon as I get the parts for it.

Tacoma WA

i have some modular synth modules that have expansions.  they use jumpers cables and to hook up on the back.  works pretty well and keep it clean and out of the way.

X

@infradead - The jumper cables would probably be easiest for configuring the mixer, but my only thought is that you would still have to have all of the modules present in the mixer itself, regardless of whether or not you are using them. The way I envision it is having separate modules that would fit together in order to reduce the components needed for the mixer, meaning if you only need a mixer with no EQ or FX sends then you would only need the base mixer module and none of the others.

X

I've posted a design mock-up for the mixer on my tumblr

Check it out here:

http://skybreakr.tumblr.com/image/29386222095

I quite like this, keep it up!

X

@MagFitch - Thanks! I'm hoping to have a working prototype in the near future to show you guys.

shanghai

this is an awesome project ! keep it up sir !

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Yeah, I can't wait to see where this goes!

Russellian wrote:

Yeah, I can't wait to see where this goes!

Same here!