Blackpool

As the title says, I am wondering best type of paint to use, also if I was to do splatters how could I achieve the effect?

NC in the US of America

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/161/p … ring-text/

New Albany Indiana

Thats a perferal....

I have never used X metals paint. it realy just depends on what you want it to look like; What texture do you want? What types of colors? is it an internal coat?

San Diego

Personally I can say the X-Metals paint is great, a bit limited on what colors you can get but still awesome none the less. With paints really I think its just choosing the colors you really like. Splatters can be achieved by a couple of different methods really. One is to push forward on the nozzle instead of down to get a slight spitting effect, another is to spray paint onto your finger and flick it, or for really fine splatter you can spray onto a tooth brush head and then drag your thumb across the bristles.

KC

If you're not going with metallic paints, I like satin finish the best.]

gloss looks good, but its easy to mess up and gets smudgy and slighty sticky to the touch

The Krylon satin ivory and black look great especially together

Last edited by Grymmtymm (Aug 9, 2012 6:50 pm)

Austin, Texas

I really don't want to be that guy who tells you to search before posting, but there's a ton of information about this both on this forum and all over the internet. FYI.

As for painting, the best way to approach it is like you are building models. All of the same stuff you would use to paint plastic models is stuff you can use to paint DMG cases. The sky is the limit!

Here's my last paintjob:

As for my personal experiences, I did the DMG above with DupliColor vinyl spraypaint, used to do vinyl automotive interiors. If you can get spray vinyl die, that's better and leaves a finish like the original game boy, but that's hard to find. I've never seen the stuff in person.

Blackpool

I bought some acrillic paints for hobby painting and it just goes on horribly, glad I used a scrap case, what else apart from spray paint can I use, I want to do a graffiti piece on it. I guess I could use different stencils.

hiding under your bed

I was about to make a similar thread, but I suppose I'll just ask here, what would be the best way to go about painting a checkerboard pattern on a DMG?
And if I wanted to do some more detailed stuff, IE painting a character over the checkerboard pattern, what would be the best type of paint to use?

Austin, Texas
PIXeL_92 wrote:

I bought some acrillic paints for hobby painting and it just goes on horribly, glad I used a scrap case, what else apart from spray paint can I use, I want to do a graffiti piece on it. I guess I could use different stencils.

Was it for plastic? You can get Tamiya polycarbonate spray paint for model making at hobby shops, CM.O member Evil Scientist has used it with much success for some of his custom mods.

As for doing a graffiti style piece, I'm not going to be able to give good advice about how to scale down a full-size piece. The issue with recreating graffiti at small scale is the tools: you need both an airbrush and a firm command of the airbrush as a means of artistic expression. A typical full graffiti piece done with rattle cans is about 8 feet X 12 feet, so you would be scaling down immensely. If you really want to try it, your best bet is probably paint markers. You'd still have to spray your case with plastic primer and a base coat, though.

As an alternative, may I suggest you design a tag-styled linework case and clearcoat over that? I think that would be a lot easier to do at that scale. Not that I'm an expert on graffiti or anything… cool

PianoGameboy wrote:

I was about to make a similar thread, but I suppose I'll just ask here, what would be the best way to go about painting a checkerboard pattern on a DMG?
And if I wanted to do some more detailed stuff, IE painting a character over the checkerboard pattern, what would be the best type of paint to use?

Painter's tape or masking tape, the same way I did the lines on my case. just make sure your mask is on securely or you're get overspray like what is by my A Button. Paint a base coat that's white or the lighter color, and then do the checkerboard in the darker color over that.

Blackpool

What I have come up with is a stencil set with a jig, so it will keep the gameboy in precise place, I have made the design on photoshop and each layer will be printed out, glued to card then sprayed, I will be using a wide nib so the paint is more of a cloud of paint to settle on the gameboy, it will use  a hell of a lot of paint but will give it a better and even finish.

Yo show me the graff you wanna do

Blackpool

Just finishing it.

KC

yeah ditto what telerophon said about painting like models.
same technique.

and always use a primer.

I like to wash with windex and let dry completely before I put on primer, and spray enough that you can sand down just a little cause the spray pattern of cans sometimes produces texture.
I like several thinner coats too, with ample dry time between them. you use more paint that way, but the results are worth it.

Austin, Texas

I got sloppy and did mine with no primer, but it's also a plastic bonding paint, so that made it ok.

This is the same stuff I paint LSDj keyboards with; it works pretty well.

Grymmtymm wrote:

I like several thinner coats too, with ample dry time between them. you use more paint that way, but the results are worth it.

You see this quote? You just read the bible, right there.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think you don't use much more paint this way, but you want the thinnest coat dried to the touch over and over until you get an even coat, not sloppy thick coats that don't dry right before you start the next coat.

Last edited by Telerophon (Aug 10, 2012 6:45 am)

Blackpool

Somthing like this, it's just a draft, I may make my name central to the design though.

Tell me what you think big_smile

Austin, Texas

That's real clean. You could probably do that in a meticulous fashion with acrylic paint markers and a careful masking, but I haven't tried to paint anything like that small scale before.