Madison, Alabama

I'm going to add something to this thread, re: the stage persona idea.

I just played my first live show ever at BRKfest in July.  I am a super mild-mannered wallflower kind of guy.  I am not, nor will I ever be, a spazzy jumping around dude.  Luckily, my music is not very spazzy, so maybe no one expects me to jump around.  I dunno.  ANYWAY.

A few days before the show I randomly decided to wear a short sleeve button up shirt and black tie to perform in.  The idea appealed to me.  On one hand, it seemed silly to get on stage and play music with game boys wearing a tie.  On the other hand, wearing a tie while playing game boy music seemed to say, "I take this stuff seriously."  I liked the duality of it, and it seemed like a costume, in a weird way.  Costumes are great for wallflower-types, as they help you slip into a different role/persona.

I was nervous, but my costume helped put me in a different mindset.  And I was super fortunate, in that like two sets before I went on 5+ dudes were on stage shirtless, so after my opening volley, I made a joke about adjusting my tie instead of taking my shirt off.  The crowd laughed, and the night got easier. 

I didn't jump around (I had given myself a lot to do between multiple game boys and the DJ mixer, so I felt pretty busy on stage), but I did do some hand waving and clapping, and the crowd followed suit.

I guess my point is that if you're perhaps nervous/wallflowery, don't be afraid to adopt a stage persona--it may help, and if you make chill music, don't jump around.  You can wave your hands or clap or something to get the audience locked into the groove.  You don't have to be a spazz on the stage.  Give yourself work to do, when you're not working your gear, do something appropriate.  Maybe it's spazzing out and jumping.  Maybe it's bobbing your head and waving your hands in the air.  Maybe it's adjusting your tie.

Last edited by roboctopus (Aug 27, 2012 2:52 am)

washington
roboctopus wrote:

and if you make chill music, don't jump around.

I make dance music, but I'm not a 'spazzy jumping around dude'.

Madison, Alabama
basspuddle wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

and if you make chill music, don't jump around.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to be offensive.  I always intend to make dance music.  My point was not everyone has to go all out and jump all over the stage.

CS wrote:

When Maru and BSK first came to visit the Toon (Newcastle) last year, we used a MX-5 battery powered mixer and an amp to power two small sets of speakers.

We caught a lot of peoples attention that afternoon, went down pretty well.

Here's video I got from the day. Just enjoy yourself and be confident when you're out busking.  Good luck.

Awesome. I once saw a video of Maru busking a while ago and I fell in love with the idea. What's going on with that mixer? It looks like you guys are just turning down the volume with the fader for a sidechain-like effect...but audio is still going? There's also no gameboy syncing either so, HOW DO

washington
roboctopus wrote:
basspuddle wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean that to be offensive.  I always intend to make dance music.  My point was not everyone has to go all out and jump all over the stage.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I was trying to say how the type of music I make is ironic because I'm not a dancer. Trust me, I'm really hard to offend smile

UK
an0va wrote:

Awesome. I once saw a video of Maru busking a while ago and I fell in love with the idea. What's going on with that mixer? It looks like you guys are just turning down the volume with the fader for a sidechain-like effect...but audio is still going? There's also no gameboy syncing either so, HOW DO

Each channel in the mixer is controlling the main volume of each device's line out (Two Gameboy's in this case). If you set two tracks at the same tempo and press play at the same time they will both run in sync with each other. Ideal for mixing and improvisation.

Last edited by CS (Aug 27, 2012 10:37 am)

STARDRAIN, CA

personally, I believe that you should be completely honest with everything you do. if you have some sort of "persona" on stage, then it should be who you REALLY are in real life, all the time. a lot of the time, i hear a lot people saying that they aren't interesting enough for that sort of thing, but the truth is, if your life isn't all that interesting, spice it up. if music is just a hobby for you, then whatever, a lot of hobby musicians are really fantastic, but when it comes to embodying a full on art piece, with an image, personality and a substantial amount of integrity, then it's gonna require as much as a really good marriage would. your time, passion, soul, everything. not to be meant in a cheesy way either. i hate the way people get tattoos for "meaningful" reasons and all that, but my one and only tattoo is my logo. I look at it every day and I'm reminded of what I said I'd do with my life. All of this is literally the reason I never went to college. the reason I've spent months homeless in places that I'd never been to before. the reason I dumped my recent manager (turning down lots of money) so I could make all of my music as weird as possible. most of the time, I'm proud of myself. I really really really do like my music. I listen to it regularly because i just actually like it... a lot. it's embarrassing how much I love to listen to my music, but whatever, I do; but sometimes, it actually is a bit much to handle. most of the time, I wish I could just start all over. I wish I could go back to where I wasn't past the point of no return, so I could like, go to college and become a civil engineer or something. it sounds SOOO stupid, but being a musician (or an artist in any SERIOUS sense) should not be a thing you do, but it should be you. if you're an asshole to people you work with, then you're just an asshole. I'm actually not convinced that even 80% of people that like my shows actually feel passionately about my music. I'm pretty sure they just like to see a crazy show most of the time. I can also guarantee that most of the shows I've gotten are due to me being easy to work with, and friendly. if a show isn't working out as planned, and all the other bands are complaining about every stupid thing, then you REALLY should be easy to work with. the booking person is going to love you. be nice.. seriously. work out your personal, real life stuff before you perform. have a lot of energy, have a lot of balls, but don't be angsty. when you perform out of aggression, a lot of the time, you can end up causing a LOT of problems. lots of assholes are famous, but the honest, true, cool, calm, collected, original, creative, intuitive, developed, eager-to-learn, fun, friendly, people are the one's that get people to show up to their funerals.

STARDRAIN, CA

when it comes to busking, people like to see someone being passionate. be your own audience. people wont act like they do at shows. so they just wanna stand around and see something cool. that will warrant tips.

Westfield, NJ
roboctopus wrote:

I guess my point is that if you're perhaps nervous/wallflowery, don't be afraid to adopt a stage persona--it may help, and if you make chill music, don't jump around.  You can wave your hands or clap or something to get the audience locked into the groove.  You don't have to be a spazz on the stage.  Give yourself work to do, when you're not working your gear, do something appropriate.  Maybe it's spazzing out and jumping.  Maybe it's bobbing your head and waving your hands in the air.  Maybe it's adjusting your tie.

this is why I wear my blue glasses whenever I perform. plus, the fact I have trouble seeing through them prevents me from focusing on the crowd, which would probably make me very nervous.

A story: A couple years ago I was fortunate enough to catch a certain very accomplished chip musician playing a live set. This is a guy who almost never plays live shows. The music was insanely good and everyone was very into it, dancing like crazy and cheering a lot. While the whole crowd was going wild, the guy on stage pretty much stayed rigid, shrugging the whole time, and whenever he looked up he had this look on his face like "what are you guys looking at please don't look at me." Some months after the show, a coworker of mine mentioned that he had worked with this musician in the past and that this musician has the worst stage fright you could ever imagine. Apparently this guy abhors being up there. But it honestly didn't matter what he did because like I said, the music was outrageously good and we all got into it.

That being said, this won't work for most people. What I will say is that the advice that's already been presented is very sound: be honest. People can see through this kind of stuff. Case in point, I saw another performance where the musician had a keyboard and a mic and she was playing and singing, and her music was OK, kinda moody lo-fi dancey stuff, but she also had a couple friends in these blue bodysuits with glowing balls standing behind her, and they should probably have been dancing or posing but they didn't seem to know what to do, so they did a kind of half-dancing, half-posing routine that was just too awkward to go along with. It was like, what's the point of having people in costume up there if they aren't really doing anything? And to make things worse, I think they were distracting from the musician's playing and singing, which was actually pretty cool to see at a show where you usually just have some guy leaning over a gameboy the whole time. Furthermore, if you are going to put on some kind of show, you should definitely be prepared. It's gonna be obvious otherwise.

Anyway there is a lot to be said for stage presence, and I think some bands / musicians get a lot of points for putting on a good show live, even when their music is mediocre. Some people prefer to see that sort of thing... after all, some people respond more to visuals than others. Lastly, I would say that if you want people to dance or clap or jump around to your stuff, maybe you should do it too. If the crowd isn't dancing enough, show them what they should be doing. Maybe they just need that first person who is going to "break the ice" so they can feel comfortable dancing too, and maybe that first person should be you.

Okay, enough rambling. Just go with your instincts, put yourself out there and nobody can put you down for trying smile

Lexington, KY

Middle ground is always acceptable when busking, too. HunterQuinn, AndaruGO and I did some busking this weekend together and the stage theme was some head bobbing, some toe tapping and a few lil jumps here n there. Response was freaking phenomenal. Everyone got ovations.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

I get drunk, have fun, and fuck up.