Germany, Trier

I always buy such dirty DMGs, because no one wants them and you get them for a very low price. Like every console i mod, i first disassemble all in every single part, all plastic parts go on a bath first, classic with soap and a good clean with a not more used toothbrush. After that, if there is any dirt or something, it gets a good clean with isopropanol. when there is any rubber or silicon rests, i get them away with something i got from my pc for cleaning thermal compound. its from artic and called ArctiClean.

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I just want to let anyone who's interested know that I finally took enough time to fix everything. Cleaned the case (it was kinda dirty, the smell vanished after a while by itself), fixed the vertical dead lines and cleaned up the battery contacts. Going to look back into doing some mods on this one, but I'll probably just backlight it and maybe prosound it. I also might put some coloured buttons in and change the screen cover (it came loose in the process).

Go with inverted backlight. it will bump up the resolution very much. The chip to complete a bivert is worth it as well, but I do not recommend that unless you are used to such small soldering.

12ianma wrote:

Go with inverted backlight. it will bump up the resolution very much. The chip to complete a bivert is worth it as well, but I do not recommend that unless you are used to such small soldering.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Probably just going to install an inverted backlight and set LSDJ to inverted, and maybe when I'm a bit more experienced install a biversion chip.

KC

vinegar works better than alcohol for removing the battery crud IMO.

but use rubbing alcohol to clean the pcbs off though

Lavar wrote:
12ianma wrote:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Probably just going to install an inverted backlight and set LSDJ to inverted, and maybe when I'm a bit more experienced install a biversion chip.

If you are using the unit for lsdj there is no point to use a chip, the software can invert the color anyway. plus to be honest the inverted colors look great on the colored backlights, as the the black text and such which is now "white" becomes the color of the backlight.

What color backlight do you intend to put in the unit

Grymmtymm wrote:

vinegar works better than alcohol for removing the battery crud IMO.

but use rubbing alcohol to clean the pcbs off though

I found that out myself. I tried cleaning the battery contacts with nail polish remover, but they were still dirty. I got them clean with vinegar.

12ianma wrote:
Lavar wrote:

If you are using the unit for lsdj there is no point to use a chip, the software can invert the color anyway. plus to be honest the inverted colors look great on the colored backlights, as the the black text and such which is now "white" becomes the color of the backlight.

What color backlight do you intend to put in the unit

I'm going to put a blue backlight in

Toronto

oh god, not acetone polish remover. that actually eats at the plastic. unless you're dyeing it and need to use acetone for that purpose, i would just stay the hell away from that. for plastic, i usually use distilled water, and for stuff like the PCB and contacts, rubbing alcohol.

QueenOfTulips wrote:

oh god, not acetone polish remover. that actually eats at the plastic. unless you're dyeing it and need to use acetone for that purpose, i would just stay the hell away from that. for plastic, i usually use distilled water, and for stuff like the PCB and contacts, rubbing alcohol.

I removed the battery contacts from the case and then put them in nail polish remover. I had read that it eats plastic away, so I made sure the case wasn't anywhere near the nail polish remover.