Brunswick, GA USA

http://www.harryfox.com/public/Mechanic … seslic.jsp

r4c7 wrote:

Maybe some screenshots of the game could remove some skepticism, even if just concept art. This could also help some get a better idea of the type of music.

Good idea and something we probably should have done earlier.

And for the record, in response to Chunter, we will not be licensing the winning composition, but rather buying all rights to it in its entirety.  Again, this would be work for hire.

Last edited by coneal (Sep 9, 2012 4:54 am)

Utah

Those cards look very well done and I'm now considering making something to submit.

The Laohu wrote:

Those cards look very well done and I'm now considering making something to submit.

Thank you!  My brother is the lead designer on this game.  The art is commissioned work from pixel artists, some of whom may be known to this community.  We're trying very hard to put together a quality game on a shoestring and we have high hopes for it.

Chicago IL, USA

that actually looks pretty dope, I wish I could know more about the gameplay and stuff. I won't do a song because I'm not very good at making gamey music, but if it all works out I may purchase a set at some point. I hate to be the "make a compilation" guy, but with the unpicked songs you could offer a free download as sort of a promotion maybe?

The Bronx

This isn't a competition. It's spec.

Sydney, NSW

Man, those cards look really really nice! And I'm an avid Magic player and collector, so I know what I like when it comes to card art.
I'll try to get something done soon! Although with exams and stuff, I can't promise anything so soon.

Sydney, NSW

But seriously, those cards looks really well done!!

SadPanda wrote:

that actually looks pretty dope, I wish I could know more about the gameplay and stuff. I won't do a song because I'm not very good at making gamey music, but if it all works out I may purchase a set at some point. I hate to be the "make a compilation" guy, but with the unpicked songs you could offer a free download as sort of a promotion maybe?

Thanks!

And your idea is not off the mark. If the Kickstart is a success, I think there's a good chance we would come back here and try to commission more songs for a lengthier "sound track," but the winner will get $100 whether the game is funded on Kickstarter or not.  We would likely use portions of the winning song on the Kickstarter videos (and again, the composer would be credited there).

Bristol, UK

The cards look awesome. I think one of the tracks i'm working on at the moment might fit the description...

Brunswick, GA USA

At least consider a cap on the number of sellaoble units or a statement that the artist retains rights or that duplication for the game is non-exclusive before setting yourselves up for litiga- I mean failure.

Chunter, I feel your concern here, and I appreciate that you're looking out for your community even if you're mocking us while you do it (which you don't have to do, by the way.  We're very open to your concerns and advice).

To be doubly (triply?) clear, from the competition we will select one person who we will then create a work for hire situation with, contracting with them to create a 10 minute song that will serve as the signature song and sound track for this game. 

The contract we create with that artist will specify that WE WILL OWN ALL RIGHTS to that song.  We will be able to use it in videos on our website and on Kickstarter, and we will be able to ship it to customers who buy exclusive versions of the game.  Unlike many work for hire situations, we will give the artist credit on all presentations of the song (we'll even link to your webpage if you'd like).

This type of relationship is not for all artists, and we completely understand that.  If this sort of arrangement sticks in your craw (and it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't give any artist at least a little pause), we are sympathetic and honestly wish you the best (we love the music here; you guys are amazing), but this competition probably isn't for you.  And as I've said in earlier posts, we know the amount of money is crap.  If we had more money, we'd pay more money, but as it is, my brother and I are dipping into our savings just to get the card art funded.  We thought about just asking for "donation" songs, but we wanted to do something to recognize the artist.

We do hope you'll think about it though.  This could be great exposure.  We've heard of very few board/card games that have shipped with their own songs, and part of our effort here is to raise awareness of chipmusic.  At the very least, your song would be heard by the thousands of people who will look at our Kickstarter.  We hope the Kickstart is successful and your song will be playing while legions of nerds play the game (maybe not legions, but scads...definitely scads of nerds).

Any specific questions, feel free to e-mail us at [email protected].  We're feverishly trying to get the game together in time for an Oct. 14th Kickstart (which seems insane at the moment), but we're committed to this side project so we'll get back to you asap.

Chris

Savannah, Georgia

october probably is an insane startup time, but i'll give you this: if you can market this correctly and get all of the liscensing needed if your Kickstarter takes off, you've got a solid product. however, chunter does have a point - you're running into this one blind, and you can get in some deep legal shit with how you're doing this.

Aeros wrote:

october probably is an insane startup time, but i'll give you this: if you can market this correctly and get all of the liscensing needed if your Kickstarter takes off, you've got a solid product. however, chunter does have a point - you're running into this one blind, and you can get in some deep legal shit with how you're doing this.

This whole thing is insane, but we're hopeful.

Would it be wise to consult a lawyer on all this?  Yep.  Would one hour with a lawyer destroy our entire launch budget?  Yep. This is the best we can do.  We'll be negotiating in good faith and hoping our composer does too. 

And we really do get Chunter's concerns.  I'm not trying to deny that.

Last edited by coneal (Sep 9, 2012 4:07 pm)

Savannah, Georgia

alright, no sense in hijacking your thread to discuss a legal direction for this. sending a PM.