Hello everybody, I'm looking for useful tutorials about FastTracker II. I don't know where to ask, and this forum appears to be appropriate. Just so you know what to link me to; I've worked with trackers before (MadTracker and GoatTracker), but never made anything good, and now I've found another one I'd like to try. :3

(Inspiration.)

Last edited by votescramble (Sep 7, 2012 7:57 pm)

Savannah, Georgia

generally i'd just punch it into google OR give the manual a read. not all that many tutorials I know of when it comes to FTII. however, if you're looking to work with the XM format, i'd just go ahead and use the modern equivalent, OpenMPT, especially if you're running a Windows computer.

OpenMPT is horrible to use and not really anything like the smooth workflow of FastTracker 2.  If you're looking for a "modern version" then Milkytracker is your best bet.  But tbh even that has some odd design choices that make it a second-best choice.

Yeah, manual is probably a good bet but the best way you'll learn is just loading in a bunch of XMs and looking at what they're doing.  It also has a built-in help system with all commands and shortcuts (just click the Help button on the main screen) and you don't need much more than that.

São Paulo, Brazil

jefftheworld came up with this tutorial once: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bBLXfOZ9Kg

Joliette, QC, Canada

yeah jefftheworld tuto is a good start...and keep looking youtube I know there is some strobe tutorials on it somewhere if I remember well !!! wink

uhajdafdfdfa

as 4mat says there is an inbuitt  help system and a manual. if you have tracked with madtracker and goat tracker you already know how to track and fasttracker 2 is just a tracker after all, you don't need a tutorial you just need a manual

also i agree with 4mat milkytracker and openmpt are not similar to ft2 (milkytracker is really crazy, dunno why they did those "improvements" that they did). ft2 or IT are actually still the best trackers for making modules in my eyes, sadly, althought openmpt is undoubtedly very powerful and quite easy learning curve

Last edited by ant1 (Sep 7, 2012 10:32 pm)

Holland
4mat wrote:

OpenMPT is horrible to use and not really anything like the smooth workflow of FastTracker 2.  If you're looking for a "modern version" then Milkytracker is your best bet.  But tbh even that has some odd design choices that make it a second-best choice.

Yeah, manual is probably a good bet but the best way you'll learn is just loading in a bunch of XMs and looking at what they're doing.  It also has a built-in help system with all commands and shortcuts (just click the Help button on the main screen) and you don't need much more than that.

I love OpenMPT's use.

As for the thread-opener, just try out both and find out what you like best.

Brunswick, GA USA

Get Impulse Tracker or Schism Tracker as well, try them all!

shanghai

i love MPT myself

São Paulo, Brazil

MPT interface is weird, and I don't know much about milkytracker.

but FT2 has the best tracker interface ever IMO.

Holland
PULSELOOPER wrote:

Why is it weird? No offense, just been wondering what people feel weird about the interface of MPT.

Sydney, AU
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I don't mean to be "that dude," but have you ever used Renoise? It has an FT2-style interface (with many improvements) and all the benefits of a modern DAW.

nf wrote:
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I don't mean to be "that dude," but have you ever used Renoise? It has an FT2-style interface (with many improvements) and all the benefits of a modern DAW.

he used the R word

São Paulo, Brazil
xylo wrote:
PULSELOOPER wrote:

Why is it weird? No offense, just been wondering what people feel weird about the interface of MPT.

Maybe there is too many buttons, it pollutes the screen. And also, I'll never get used to a horizontal pattern list, instead of vertical.

But it's probably because I've been using FT2 for 3 years and I'm used to that.

Sydney AUS
4mat wrote:
nf wrote:

he used the R word

VSTs and not limited to 4 channels. Just saying.

Bratislava, Slovakia

I switched from Amiga (ProTracker, DigiBooster, OctaMED...) to PC in 1998 and started to use FT2, but i never finished nothing big because i focused more to synths and worked in Cakewalk. I hated very little position-pattern window, and that Milky Tracker is really close alternative to FTII, and player routine plays FTII tricks very well. Modplug i tried several times and if you pass his environment you can be pretty quick with this. I know some famous tracker composers, like Skaven/Future Crew who produced really great tracks with this, for example 30+ minute long multitune for Bejeweled 2.