Massachusetts, USA

That looks like it would require one of these "security bits" to open.

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/security-bits

*edited - I think it would need one of the 3.8 mm, which don't seem to be in stock with Kitsch right now...
It looks like nintendorepairshop.com has them! http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/produ … rity-Tool/

I've heard some people can get these to open by making your own bit, by heating up a pen case or something made of plastic, pushing the hot plastic onto the screw, taking it off and then letting it harden. I tried that and did not have much success, but it might be worth a shot if you need it open today.

Last edited by sammulligan (Sep 10, 2012 6:21 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne
sammulligan wrote:

heating up a pen case...made of plastic, pushing the hot plastic onto the screw, taking it off and then letting it harden

Tried this in a pinch once. Sucks, barely works. This plan was devised by somone who intended to replace the screw with a phillips screw afterwards. Either way, it's still worth the tiny investment to get the right driver.

Austin, Texas

Yeah, that's the 3.8mm bit.

I ended up getting a Video Game Screwdriver Set at my local Fry's maybe two months ago, and it was totally worth it in my opinion. For a bit more than the cost of tri-wing screw drivers and security bits, you get an entire set with the ratcheting handle.

danimal cannon wrote:
kitsch wrote:

these may help: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/bl … idge-cases

(also, double-sided tape will hold the PCB in place inside the case if you're having shifting problems.  EMS puts this in every single case now, works wonders.  scotch brand makes a real nice thin double-sided tape roll (yellow box last i got some)

so what kind of screwdriver do I use for this?

You can either use a super small one and turn the screw on the back anticlockwise until it comes out or use needle-nose pliers.

Boston, MA

before i got the correct bit, i used to take the ink out of a disposable pen and soften the end with a lighter, then shove it in there with the screw before it cooled, sometimes i got a few uses out of it

SYDNERDIA

I used the pen trick to open a Gamecube once, but it was a huge pain. It's harder on Gameboy carts, since they have such tiny clearances around the screw head.

I've opened them with side cutters ("diagonal cutters" to you Yanks, I believe) - but you'll definitely damage the cutters if they're nice fine electronic ones designed for cutting copper.

Just buy a bit off eBay if you can't get it locally. It's a bit of a wait, but it's well worth it.

buffalo, NY

Yeah I'll try needle nose, gotta borrow from my parents.  Kinda suck I'm only planning on opening these once for 5 min

Okay guys i'm back and ive saved up 800$ so where's the carts?

SYDNERDIA
Shadow-Bit wrote:

Hello Shady-Beans! The carts are currently 90% "here in my workroom", and 10% "on a motherf***ing boat somewhere between North America and Australia".

Fargo
danimal cannon wrote:

so what kind of screwdriver do I use for this?

Kitsch also sells bits for this.  Here's the link.  I can attest to them doing the trick as I bought mine from him.  http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/security-bits
*edit*
whoops looks like sammulligan beat me to it.

Last edited by Krubbz (Sep 11, 2012 8:37 am)

abrasive wrote:
Shadow-Bit wrote:

Hello Shady-Beans! The carts are currently 90% "here in my workroom", and 10% "on a motherf***ing boat somewhere between North America and Australia".

Hmm not here yet well I'm willing to wait.

When will I be Abel to buy from your site?

Gosford, Australia

if you're not Abel, you Cain always wait
abrasive's gonna make a killing on these

Last edited by Victory Road (Sep 11, 2012 10:51 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Victory Road wrote:

I'd laugh, but that'd only encourage you. tongue

Victory Road wrote:

Ha ha, well i've learned that you guys are sarcastic as F*ck, so all i'm gonna do is laugh!

SYDNERDIA
Victory Road wrote:

somebody get this man a medal.