Austin, Texas

I have this weird tingly feeling like Lazerbeat made a subtle yet very appreciable joke, and it is way over my head!

Lexington, KY

My powerpak is ready to play whatever software will be compatible with this.
...assuming there are going to be ROM's made that are compatible with this.

BOSTON8BIT, MA
Chykn wrote:
B00daW wrote:

Just check the thread.  Please try to leave posts with content on NESdev.  Many people have lurked on NESdev for years before posting anything.  I did not make ENIO.  It is a project of chykn's.

I have to admit, if it hadn't been for Wookie's original post and discussion I might not have started down the path.  Must give credit where credit is due!  He gave some pretty good insight from the perspective of a professional game developer.

I have one CPU board left to sell to a beta tester.  Only one catch - I need to sell it to someone who can provide feedback on the design and has some C & 6502 experience.  Someone who can recompile and debug the code for both the PIC32 and NES.

Oh boy. Very interested in this little guy, I've recently started a self-study into data as art and the prospect of having parallel access to the NES CPU over IP is... full of potential to say the least.

I'm all about buying one of those as a beta tester if/when you need a larger feedback pool, I can perform these tasks you speak of. :-) I'm thinking about what it would take to wire Max for Live out to this thing to run the audio, and subsequently drooling.

Lexington, KY

Nooby question. So... You say that it would be very possible to 'midi' input to the NES. Would midi sync then be possible? Cuz... If I could time sync my NES and my gameboys.... *sploogekill*

Rhode Island

so we could have a game loaded on a powerpack or cart that is written to recognize incoming midi cc data and tell the 2A03 what to play?

Cleveland, OH

Very interesting!

Unsubscribe
2PLAYER wrote:

so we could have a game loaded on a powerpack or cart that is written to recognize incoming midi cc data and tell the 2A03 what to play?

or a program... named say Pulsar? big_smile

Philadelphia, PA
Solarbear wrote:

Nooby question. So... You say that it would be very possible to 'midi' input to the NES. Would midi sync then be possible? Cuz... If I could time sync my NES and my gameboys.... *sploogekill*

A few ideas...

~ If you connected your ENIO and NES to a WiFi hub/repeater and your laptop/computer/tablet/phone was on the same WiFi network, you could control your NES and/or supply it MIDI packets from any device on that network; namely your laptop.

~ With the MIDI right software on a PowerPak and this idea, one person could play a keyboard to control pulse 1, 2, and triangle, where another person with a MIDI keyboard could control VRC6 pulse 1, 2, and saw.

~ ENIO has flashable firmware able to support other hardware; being upgradable for other ideas an ethernet port and USB port could supply.

~ NES/Famicom has the ability to use a slave PPU through expansion.  A different PPU could be used for visualization.  TIA?

Last edited by B00daW (Sep 13, 2012 6:22 pm)

rochester, ny
B00daW wrote:

~ If you connected your ENIO and NES to a WiFi hub/repeater and your laptop/computer/tablet/phone was on the same WiFi network, you could control your NES and/or supply it MIDI packets from any device on that network; namely your laptop.

or you could play an MMO on your NES.

clovis CA

Enio is my dads American name wink his Puerto Rican name is Moadeeb deeb

Savannah, Georgia
Alley Beach wrote:

Enio is my dads American name wink his Puerto Rican name is Moadeeb deeb

video games

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

yikes
this sounds amazing!

Milwaukee, WI
B00daW wrote:

~ NES/Famicom has the ability to use a slave PPU through expansion.  A different PPU could be used for visualization.  TIA?

Hmm, could the Playchoice PPU be used here?  A no solder RGB mod? smile

Toronto, Canada

What do you mean use a slave PPU? There aren't really any pins that would let the expansion port read from CHR, or even know what address the CPU is writing to...

Philadelphia, PA

Well, according to one source:

/SYNC: this signal when zero, will force the status of colorburst control,
scanline and pixel counters/flip-flops used inside the PPU to definite
states. Generally, this is the means of which two 2C02s connected together
in a master-slave config (via the EXT bus) can syncronize together; the
master PPU's /VBL line feeds the vblank information to the slave's /SYNC
input. On Famicom consoles, this pin is always tied to logical one. On the
NES however, this pin is tied in with the 2A03's reset input, and as a
result, the picture is always disabled while the reset switch is held in on
an NES.

Of course it's not going to work with everything.

Toronto, Canada

Well, yeah you can synchronize timing easly, you have NMI and other stuff, but there's really very little way to get information over to the other PPU-- it would have to be rendering mostly independently of what was going on in your NES. Any relevant information would have to be sent over the CPU bus serially I guess.