New York City

I don't think I have seen this mentioned around, but you don't need an old ass computer with an OPL3 to use AdLib Tracker 2 anymore.

Some dutch guy has updated AdLib Tracker 2 to version 2.4.0 including support for MIDI input , which is pretty rad(lib), but he also has ported it to SDL so now it runs in Windows-based computers using an OPL3 emulator.

You can find the downloads here:
http://code.google.com/p/at2/

It's running great on my Win7 64-bit setup. This is pretty fantastic, as I am having issues with my Libretto that prevent me from using it properly. I can compose on my current PC and then transfer to the Libretto for proper sound output. Also now I can use version 2.4.0 as an FM module I can play with my MIDI keyboard.

official blurb:

Adlib Tracker II is, dare we say, the most userfriendly tracker aimed for the OPL3 FM-chip, and is full of advanced features to simplify your task of making the most of your Adlib-tunes.

Supporting 4 operator instruments, percussion mode, a wide selection of importable song- and instrument types and - maybe foremost - an advanced macro editor that can really push the FM-chip to the limit.

Last but not least, Adlib Tracker II's built-in MIDI support can turn this tracker into a full-fledged standalone FM synthesizer that can be controlled from your favourite DAW.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 16, 2012 2:57 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

Why just not use it running via dosbox? That's what I did for my adlib EP (AT2 freezes on my libretto - that's a common issue).

Savannah, Georgia
akira^8GB wrote:

support for MIDI input

OH GOD

New York City
PULSELOOPER wrote:

Why just not use it running via dosbox?

A native, SDL application is a lot more convenient than having to use DOSBox, since it works, for one, in my native file hierarchy. So no mounting of folders in DOSBox or configurations or ANYTHING. Just double-click. Also faster.

Once I get a MIDI box for my Libretto, I'll just use AdLib Tracker 2 as a OPL3 module and forget about the tracker issues. I can't type in notes either because the fucking thing freezes up. It doesn't happen just in LIbrettos, it happens on lots of machines and version 2.4.0 does NOT fix this problem.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 16, 2012 3:37 pm)

Chicago IL

works great!

São Paulo, Brazil
Saskrotch wrote:

works great!

LOL

New York City
Saskrotch wrote:

works great!

You're running it in a command window of whatever dimensions,dude. It's not going to display correctly that way if what you are using is version 2.4.0. It's not MEANT to be used like that

The SDL version runs perfectly by using it how you are SUPPOSED to use it: Doubleclicking the icon and letting it open its own window.

2.4.0 non SDL is for our old computers/DOSbox/virtualization.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 16, 2012 6:31 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

I wonder if it is possible to hook this up to a sammich fm?

Chicago IL
akira^8GB wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

works great!

You're running it in a command window of whatever dimensions,dude. It's not going to display correctly that way if what you are using is version 2.4.0. It's not MEANT to be used like that

The SDL version runs perfectly by using it how you are SUPPOSED to use it: Doubleclicking the icon and letting it open its own window.

2.4.0 non SDL is for our old computers/DOSbox/virtualization.

when i double click the icon, it opens the icon in Paint. i dunno what SDL is or if it's installed or not. I'm just a funny guy on the internet.

New York City
Saskrotch wrote:

i dunno what SDL is or if it's installed or not. I'm just a funny guy on the internet.

No, you just downloaded the WRONG file from the link provided, as your screenshot shows ;P

You need:
at2-2.4.00-SDL-win32-dos32_beta_06172012.zip

Not:
at2-2.4.00.zip
(which you downloaded twice)

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 17, 2012 12:37 am)

Austin, Texas

Ohhh snap.

I just was given a beat to shit PentiumIII laptop the other day, and I repaired it and got AdLib 2.0 and 2.3 running on it in Win98SE.

It's weird, 2.4 won't run on it, and Scream Tracker 3 won't find the sound chip.

I think it has one of those unusual hardware OLP3 emulators in it. The device manager shows one of the components of the sound card as an "FM Device;" apparently the laptop's chipset is an "ESS Maestro-2E," which I've had difficulty finding the specs on.

Anyway, I can get it to play this demo song:

However, the playback on my machine doesn't sound that good. It sounds comparable to the difference between the two SID chip variants.

São Paulo, Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:

Once I get a MIDI box for my Libretto, I'll just use AdLib Tracker 2 as a OPL3 module and forget about the tracker issues.

right on man! that is a great idea.

Chicago IL
Telerophon wrote:

Ohhh snap.

I just was given a beat to shit PentiumIII laptop the other day, and I repaired it and got AdLib 2.0 and 2.3 running on it in Win98SE.

It's weird, 2.4 won't run on it, and Scream Tracker 3 won't find the sound chip.

I think it has one of those unusual hardware OLP3 emulators in it. The device manager shows one of the components of the sound card as an "FM Device;" apparently the laptop's chipset is an "ESS Maestro-2E," which I've had difficulty finding the specs on.

Anyway, I can get it to play this demo song:

However, the playback on my machine doesn't sound that good. It sounds comparable to the difference between the two SID chip variants.

you usually have to find the address of the opl3 chip. i haven't done it in a long time, so i can't completely help you, but probably akira or o2star will know what i'm talking about. basically, you have to edit the config.sys in DOS so it knows where the address of the chip is. hopefully someone else can give you actual instructions on how to do this. my opl3 laptop is kind of fucked so i can't go into my config.sys and give you the actual code. but now that i re-read your post, it should give you some kind of address where you found out the FM Device/Chipset information.

Chicago IL

also if your laptop has an actual FM chip, don't use dosbox, or the prompt within windows, restart in DOS mode (once you get everything figured out)

Austin, Texas

Oh, sweet.

Dang. I got the bug from this pretty bad, I was going to try to find a soundcard and retrofit one of my actual towers with a Win9X partition as well.

The spec sheet for the laptop says that the card is "Soundblaster Compatible," but as I understand it, that this doesn't actually mean real OLP3 most of the time.

Last edited by Telerophon (Sep 17, 2012 2:07 am)

New York City

I suppose Screamtracker works like Impulse Tracker a bit.
So even if you don't have the Blaster environment setup (classic example is 'SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1', you can type it at the commandline if you don't have it in autoexec.bat), you can force it to look for a card with commandline patterns. You might also need a sound driver to be loaded. Check out my thread titled "adlib file repository" and see if it can help you. I couldnt get anything to work until I installed Soundblaster drivers. If your card really is SB compatible, original SB drivers from Creative should work.