Adelaide, Australia

I consider TFM Module Maker and the VGM version the best FM trackers for music for the Sega Megadrive / Genesis. I don't mind at all about the cessation of development. In terms of simplicity, user interface and usable features there is nothing as good. It is very quick and easy to learn to use and allows a lot of experimentation with parameters to create new sounds. It even allows export of the data so you can play your music on the real hardware, without a computer; this is something that GenMDM can't do as it relies on computer control via MIDI. GenMDM is for realtime whereas with TFMMM you can make tunes that you can share with others who can then play them on their hardware.

So thank you for your work Shiru, very much appreciated! You have my respect.

shanghai

i think if you are making anything to be distributed to people to use, you do have to accept a certain amount of complaints, i mean its not going to please evryone. and if you have more exciting things you are making that you are more interested in, its not much point worrying about what people think of VGM MM if you kind of dont give a shit about it yourself.

Last edited by Downstate (Sep 8, 2012 11:21 am)

Unsubscribe

Freezedreams music is the best genesis music I have heard, to be sure.

São Paulo, Brazil

Lucky you. Here in Brazil we are used to not get any feedback from enterprises and even government "customer services" that we pay taxes for. So, I'm ok with Shiru.

Also, not everyone has the patience of a Johan Kotlinski.

New York, New York
herr_prof wrote:

Freezedreams music is the best genesis music I have heard, to be sure.

The most truth said on this thread. I once had two videos on YouTube, that were just Unboxing / Runthrough of Freezedream - Today, as I am some what shy to review music on line. I could listen to Today on loop infinity. It's so simply infectious.

Slovakia / European Union

Shiru interface was perfect and clean and easy to use, very effective. I dont understand why people want to change interface or how GUI looks... Version VGMMM 1.1 was best what you can have for Sega tracking. No tracker was using whole SEGA YM+PCM and PSG potential. I am just very very sad about to hear that VGMMM will be abandoned project... That there will be no VGMMM 1.5, VGMMM 2.0 in the future...
Maybe you can make it as shareware or make PAYPAL donate ware. Some people will send you small money for development (as little motivation for writing or improving code). Simply crowdfund this project. Or people can buy licence and have updates up to next version (1.2 to 2.2 for example). I think 20 euros / 25 usd (max) will be nice price fo it... What you think about it?
This little money will brings you motivation and satisfaction from project...

BTW there was 70-90 people liking my FB VGM MM fanpage (I have deleted my FB account - I use twitter now). So there was min. 50-60 Sega Megadrive/Genesis musicians using VGMMM.
So when I compare to ATARI 800 scene. There are max. 6-10 active musicians on that platform.
I must say that there was nice VGMMM platform users base. I mean min. 50-60 active musicians!!! They was not sharing their modules. They was not uploading their stuff. They was not acting as strong community. Maybe because VGMMM hadn´t beautiful WWW and forum (I mean like DefleMask). But there was VGM MM scene!!!

Last edited by Tinctu (Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am)

Philadelphia, PA
Shiru wrote:

June 28, 2012 6:13 am

Sorry, such ornaments would require a huge change in the editor, almost making a new one, so no. I'm not even sure when I'll do a minor bug fix release which is certainly needed.

Changes in FM/PSG balance are one of considered things, it is often asked and should be done in the next version.

Such a fucking tease to think that just a couple months prior new features were considered on this great tracker programmed by someone who has years of experience knowing what they are doing.  If only robots programmed trackers then we wouldn't have to deal with people yanking content from their website and possibly disappearing.  VGM Music Maker, Nintendulator, etc...  Guess I better start training R.O.B. now because by the time he programs a tracker it will be 2060.

Lost In The Silver Box

Well myself and Jredd have produced around 80-90 tracks together using VGM Music Maker over the last year and if i'm honest, It's an incredible program. i've had so much fun producing all kinds of music with it.

Anyway i'd like to personally thank Shiru for all these years of service supporting TFM and VGM-MM. TFM was great but VGM-MM was on another level. Thank you for creating something that allowed me to produce music similar to the sort that inspired me when growing up.

All the best for the future pal. Take the positives, ignore the critics, move on and don't look back.

France

Hi,

VGM MM and the other usefull tools are not hosted anymore. I found VGM MM on modland, but is there somewhere a backup of the other tools (VOPMxTFI, VGM2OPM, VOPMxTFI etc...) ?

Thanks.

Edit : I've just find the tools with the VOPM distribution on woolyss but it seems that's it not the last version (with YM2151 support...)

Last edited by Mind Body Alpha (Sep 22, 2012 11:24 am)

1.)
ADMIN CLOSE THIS TOPIC!

2.)
SHIRU - please take my apologies that I started this topic.

Groovemaster303 wrote:

Well myself and Jredd have produced around 80-90 tracks together using VGM Music Maker over the last year and if i'm honest, It's an incredible program. i've had so much fun producing all kinds of music with it.

Anyway i'd like to personally thank Shiru for all these years of service supporting TFM and VGM-MM. TFM was great but VGM-MM was on another level. Thank you for creating something that allowed me to produce music similar to the sort that inspired me when growing up.

All the best for the future pal. Take the positives, ignore the critics, move on and don't look back.

Exactly smile. We love this tracker. We have no intention to stop using it. We have 3 albums out and are in the process of making even more. I keep digging more and more into this tracker and finding out more things to push out of it. In fact Groove and I are in the process of putting together a VGMM Collab album to get more people into the tracker. We love it that much. I am sorry that overall people have given you a negative response, but at least rest assured there are people out there who love this tracker and are using it all the time smile.

Here is some proof for you, and this is not counting the individual song releases:

http://www.noisechannel.org/3085 Collab album #1

http://www.noisechannel.org/7693 A solo album by me smile.

And...

A remix of that album by Groove smile. http://www.noisechannel.org/8025

Oh and while I am at it, for anyone and I mean ANYONE who wants to learn how to use VGMM or contribute to a future "VGMM & Friends" album we are producing go here and join in on the fun big_smile.

http://www.noisechannel.org/topic/vgmm-collab

We may only be a handful of people, but we are serious. For all of you who have unfinished songs, or tunes you'd like to put in an album with us we'd love it.  There you have it Shiru smile. You are always free to continue or discontinue any project you like and I have nothing but the highest respect for what you have accomplished with VGMM and other projects. If you want further proof that we are still making things, check us out on soundcloud Ha ha ha ha! Now if you'll excuse me, I think I have yet another song to tweak before release smile.

killadelphia

http://www.8bitpeoples.com/discography/8BP106?show=all

TFM.

i love this tracker.  and i love VGM music maker.

let the haters hate Shiru.  You've already changed the scene and brought about new stuff whether or not people are currently downloading the tool.  The idea of the tool sparked a lot of interest and that is EXTREMELY important.  no one can mess with that.  i think you should be proud of it and i for one, thank you for your hard work.  A lot of people wouldn't lift a finger to provide a tool for people - let alone for free.

and to the people who are bashing his program and demanding feature requests like little babies - you guys are fucking with an open source developer.  this is akin to demanding Gandhi give you food but with the proper spices and all the trimmings.   if you know the guy is sensitive - why are you pushing his buttons.  maybe you should re-evaluate your own shit and learn how to code.

bitch all you want Shiru!  Take it away if you want.  I think there was a lot of ungratefulness that got spun towards you.

if you update it everrrrr please send me a copy!

Last edited by animalstyle (Sep 23, 2012 10:10 pm)

Canada

I've been fooling around with trackers for years, and it has only been recently that I reacquired a genesis to relive my glory days as streets of rage and gunstar heroes champ.

Half way through a game of gunstar heroes I realized that cm.org MUST have info on a tracker that will help me venture into 16-bit tracking.

Upon arriving here through research, it makes me sad to see this product discontinued... but seemingly for a cause worthy of justification.

I definitely respect the man behind what I've only read to be the pinnacle of vgm tracking; I'm just lamenting that i've arrived too late for something great.

Last edited by Jansaw (Sep 24, 2012 2:55 am)

Philadelphia, PA

No need to close this topic at all.

What I'd really like to see is a mirror of TFM Maker, the really nice set of conversion tools for it, and its brother VGM Maker somewhere.  If Shiru's FTP won't host them, we have to get them back and host them somewhere.

The truly sad thing is I can't find mirrors anywhere of the software anywhere!

It's one thing to say the software is unsupported and just ignore people, but to pull it from all the innocent people who used it in peace or any of the other potential nice people who could have used them is just ridiculous.

I'm on a mission.  Let's get this the software mirrored, folks.

Looking for:

tfmmaker152.zip
in_tfm.zip (v1.2)
vopmxtfi.zip (v1.1)
vgm2tfi.zip (V1.1)
vgm2opm.zip
vgmmaker11.zip

Post whatever links or archives you can find.  I'll edit this post with whichever ones we can muster up.

Last edited by B00daW (Sep 27, 2012 8:10 am)

Russia, Novosibirsk

Here's what I have:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105562648/tfmmaker14.rar - TFM Maker (1.4)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105562648/vgm2opm.rar     - vgm2opm(1.0)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105562648/vgm2tfi.rar         - vgm2tfi(1.0)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105562648/vopmxtfi.rar        - vopmxtfi(1.1)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105562648/vgmmaker11.zip  -VGM Music Maker(1.1)

Last edited by Radaron (Sep 27, 2012 7:49 pm)