vancouver, canada
Decktonic wrote:

In another thread we are having a lively discussion about how to move chipmusic forward and then I come to this thread and it's the usual bashing of "don't do stuff your way, do it my way instead."

What really gets me is reading this from people that would probably have a fit if I told them how to do things, but they see nothing wrong doing the same thing to others. And worse, in a forum where this really isn't outside the realm of possibilities (see any release thread by ant1).

well, i think that depends on what entails "moving chipmusic forward", doesn't it?  to some, it means withholding critical comments.  as for me, i believe it's a disservice to withhold those opinions - if something rubs us the wrong way, why not speak up?  it's healthy to have that kind of a regulatory mechanism (even in the form of criticism by the community) in my opinion, in order to sift through product that is legitimately crap and to promote the music that is legitimately good.

it's interesting that you mention ant1 because on the surface he has a kind of trolly style, but others might argue that he also manages to do it with good enough taste - mixing an appropriate amount of irony and subtlety and nuance that people "get it".  it's a tricky art and you can't just write off something categorically merely by the presence of all-caps or leet speak.  ultimately it's we, the audience + fellow chip musicians that determine whether someone deserves to be praised or blasted (or both).  we get to be the tastemakers.

it's pretty clear that most people here support the product of brandon's efforts, but i don't think anyone here is bashing his style in order to shut down his project, but rather in the spirit of not wanting him to alienate his potential audience.  nothing wrong with that.

and to his credit, he's received the criticism well enough and has also explained his rationale.  it's up to him to decide what to do.

Last edited by bryface (Oct 2, 2012 5:27 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Anywayz,
the artists really stepped up to make this release special and everyone brought their 'A' game. Another stellar hit out the park for this group.

› 

Madison, Alabama
Auxcide wrote:

Anywayz,
the artists really stepped up to make this release special and everyone brought their 'A' game. Another stellar hit out the park for this group.

› 

Yeah, I feel the same.  Everyone did a top-notch job.

I do think this scene does need to get a bit of a "thicker skin" as it were, it's ok to dislike something and people really need to stop taking that personally.  If we don't have an opinion it will stagnate, just like every music scene does.

Detroit, Michigan
4mat wrote:

I do think this scene does need to get a bit of a "thicker skin" as it were, it's ok to dislike something and people really need to stop taking that personally.  If we don't have an opinion it will stagnate, just like every music scene does.

Totally agree with this 100%

Unsubscribe

That fatty is totally right.

I could sit here and argue for days about how strange it is that the "maturity" of a presentation or how someone uses caps lock or lots exclamation points could really shy away a potential listener. However I won't because to me that sounds like someone who is just looking for things to nit pick and maybe you just shouldn't listen to it if your interests could be that shallow. Also the whole "thicker skin" thing really bugs me. Why should a artist and fan friendly genre alike be "thicker skinned" just for the sake of someone who wants to be a dick just to be one? I have been in many music scenes and entertainment scenes in general and I love chipmusic because there is no agenda and most people do not have a ego. Also I don't consider myself a major name or a top draw if you will and I hope I never do but if someone asks me to listen to a song and I think it is shit I tell them and no one yet has cried or got bent out of shape they just simply worked on it more. I remember when i first started and I was all proud over my first handful of songs and submitted them to people I barely knew and got shot down. It sucked but it made me better and work harder. I learned more from the person who explained why my music wasn't so hot than from a person who was just being a dick.

To make a long story short we use gameboys and various other video game hardware to make music so consider the source when looking for maturity in a scene. Also Brandon has worked really hard and given many people the exposure they might not have gotten. I THINK BRANDON IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!! AND I THINK IT WAS AN HONOR TO BE ON IT WITH SO MANY TALENTED ARTISTS!!!!!!! and yeah I fucking love this scene.

4mat wrote:

there's a difference between being constructive and just being a dick to be a dick which is how I take it when someone says you need a "thicker skin". It is ok to not like something but just to shit on it doesn't help anyone. I like my chipmusic heavy and aggressive so for me to sit there and tear someone down who is making more dance style music when I wouldn't like it to begin with.

BOSTON

I say we should call the next comp "Chipmusic Equals Serious Business" and it'll just have a black cover with off-white white helvetica lettering; proper kerning of course. We would advertise it using tastefully printed off-white placards that we hand out in person only to fellow aesthetes that have passed our rigorous taste-litmus.

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

I say we should call the next comp "Chipmusic Equals Serious Business" and it'll just have a black cover with off-white white helvetica lettering; proper kerning of course. We would advertise it using tastefully printed off-white placards that we hand out in person only to fellow aesthetes that have passed our rigorous taste-litmus.

All  patrons must own at least one monocle.

Chiptune Equals Serious Business

Last edited by optimuschad (Oct 2, 2012 11:28 pm)

um, I wasn't talking about this compilation. (i was actually on the first one he put out)

Unsubscribe

at least he didn't say "grow a pair".

4mat wrote:

um, I wasn't talking about this compilation. (i was actually on the first one he put out)

yup I know that I have the first one on my ipod which made me want to get in touch with Brandon to be on this edition. I just don't agree with you about the thicker skin and I won't. We make music on video game systems...We aren't up for grammys. If someone thinks I suck I could really careless and if someone likes me I love it. If someone out there gets upset that someone doesn't like their music they will never get better and are immature. I am not looking for a pissing contest here I just don't see why we all have to put our serious pants on to make art and express ourselves.

Westfield, NJ
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

There have been plenty of comps like that, none ever had as many downloads as Chiptunes = WIN.

I think that's what bugged me the most about this thread. Everyone is talking about how we can better promote ourselves and here is a comp that is topping the charts on Bandcamp, getting thousands of downloads and featured in major websites like Destructoid, and people just bash it without even knowing. Brandon's methods work really well, better than pretty much anything else I've seen in the past few years. You can write it off immediately and miss the boat or you can take notes.

P.S. I shouldn't have to say this, but I will: if you want to make a new style of music succeed, you should try to reach young people. They don't have preconceived notions about what music should or should not be, and they tend to have large social circles of influence. If Brandon's methods are reaching young people at the expense of old people, that's a good thing.

$0.02

rochester, ny

bryface brought up a fair point. brandon took the criticism well and responded maturely. that should have been the end of the discussion.

Last edited by nickmaynard (Oct 3, 2012 5:38 am)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

So I'm glad you guys like the compilation then