Minneapolis

OK, yet another random discussion topic! Yeah!

How many of you do chip stuff for just hobby enjoyment, and how many of you would say it's the main thing you do, AKA, it's your job?

I can already guess how this'll look, but I'm still curious. For myself- very much a hobby, though depending on how I do it, a self-paying hobby. (selling stuff I build, etc.)

astral cat

hobby, my job is being a bum

Tacoma WA

definitely a hobby. 

i have a full time job, doing chip and music stuff is my expensive hobby.

also if it was my job i would have starved and my wife would have left me by now. lol

VA

Yeah, I don't think too many people have really made a profitable venture out of chip music.  Definitely a hobby.  It's not a normal hobby though, it's one that I obsess over for many hours a day.

IL, US

im pretty sure 90%+  of us have other means of earniing our living, though calling it a hobby reduces the seriousness of it...
ill call my art and music my ridiculously underpaying job, and my work, thats my dayjob to get by
the music and art are more important to me than my shitty day job

A gray world of dread

hobby.

I kept music in general my hobby, because it's my favorite creative activity.

I took my second favorite (coding) as a job. Best decision in my life, because I'd hate to loose music as something recreational.

Swansea, UK

Yeah, I used to do music professionally, moved home, and now work in an office. While I preferred having more time to make music, the music I make now I enjoy 100% more, because I don't have to do it one way or another. I make the music I want, when I want, how I want.

Marysville, WA

Since when can chipmusic pay the bills? tongue

Music is definitely a hobby for me, probably always will be.

I can't see anyone being a chip-musician as a career.

California

neither. holy mission.

(READ: hobby)

Last edited by Rei Yano (Mar 2, 2010 11:13 pm)

☺☺☺

its my life, whether or not i make money from it has no bearing on this

but, money is good smile

edit; i mean music in general

Last edited by Emar (Mar 2, 2010 11:53 pm)

))<>((
Emar wrote:

its my life, whether or not i make money from it has no bearing on this

but, money is good smile

basically, this, but more audio in general than just chip music.

uhajdafdfdfa

Hobby.

Melbourne, Australia

Both.

For me chipmusic is a hobby in that I doodle around a bit with composition, listen to loads of chipmusic and mod/hack hardware for fun.

I also promote, organise and run regular chipmusic parties which seems more like hard work and is less fun but on the whole is also very rewarding. Sometimes it feels like a job. Not a BAD job (and certainly not a paying job) but a job none the less.

Aside from that I do work a full time day job to support the ability to do all of the above. I HIGHLY doubt right now anyone makes a living 100% from chipmusic production or performance.

Prove me wrong.

Brazil

I wish it was a job. sad I got some good money out of it (which paid my bills) but not that regular to say it pays enough to pay everything I have to pay.

BK

I think that currently, one of the main ways to turn chipmusic into a means of support is to do game soundtracks and things like that. I think Virt is one person who's been able to do that consistently.  I know Neil Voss also did the Tetrisphere soundtrack and a few others, and Mark Denardo's done some work for some indie developers, but i don't know whether that's their bread and butter, so-to-speak. 8 Bit Weapon appears to be doing all right as well.

Oh, how I wish I could live off chipmusic.