Fargo

I bought kind of a "starter pack" from Low-Gain's store.  I got a couple flash cartridges, a prosounded gameboy, and a Transferer II.  I never wanted to mod my gameboy from when I was a kid.

Germany, Trier

Had my Play it loud! clear DMG back from my childhood, I spend my first pocket money in.
I etched it, now it plays acid music wink
Here is a pic http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6857 … 5719_k.jpg

Freiburg, Germany

I bought a green play it loud DMG at a flea market on Sunday 8 days ago for 10 Euros. It's in pretty good shape except the contrast on the screen is a bit low and the screen protector is a little beat up. I even got it with batteries. Nanoloop arrived last week and I've taken my first Game Boy chip music steps during the weekend. I've always wanted to do this, this is exciting for me. (A flash cart with lsdj has already been ordered from kitsch-bent)

Today the postman also brought me a used black play it loud DMG from an online reseller (15 Euros) which is in really good shape (came with a brand new screen protector and has a better screen than the other one). Only thing I don't like is that it came with a clear battery lid that doesn't match the black body. I'm planning to mod this second one with a teal backlight just for the heck of it, and probably with prosound. I know I don't need that as a beginner, but I like to fiddle around with stuff and since I've got two, why the heck not? I'm tempted to combine the black front with the green back, just for fun and giggles.

ohio gozaimasu

Bought one from some guy on modretro forums, decided to mod it myself. I didn't have a soldering iron so I did it at both my friend's (dsv101) house and my highschool.  I traded my boring, grey case with dsv's awesome painted case, and viola, fucking sexy-ass DMG at my fingertips.

Unsubscribe

My family recorded a home movie of the xmas I got mine:

Matthew Joseph Payne

You can't fool me, that's not a gameboy it's a black iPod nano.

Unsubscribe

ITS MODDED ALRIGHT?

The Wild Wintery North

EBay. It's the simplest place to get gems like this:
EBay Gameboy

Czech Republic

I got mine from a friend, 6 years ago maybee.
some guy lend it to him, so still it's not mine actually :-).
Grey DMG1.
It's not light grey, it's more yellow coloured, because it layed somewhere on a sun for a longer time (maybee in a window in a junk shop).
I didn't have a Gameboy, when I was a child.
Not many people here had one between 1989 and 1994or5 ...
but I wanted it a lot...
I tracked my first song on an emulator (remix of my own band's song),
then I bought Transferer II & Card from Rob Webb and started a proper work.

I think my parents got me one a long while back, a Gameboy Pocket.
Then got myself a Gameboy color with Pokémon Yellow (way too awesome.).

A while back a friend of mine gave me his DMG so that was pretty nice and now I bought another one.

Love these things

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

no shitting you, my first gameboy was found in the forest behind my parent's house. my brother found it and gave it to me. i got my friend in electrical engineering to prosound it for me cuz i'm too shaky to use a soldering iron.

i never had one as a kid.

Last edited by Starpilot (Oct 23, 2012 11:05 am)

Starpilot wrote:

no shitting you, my first gameboy was found in the forest behind my parent's house. my brother found it and gave it to me. i got my friend in electrical engineering to prosound it for me cuz i'm too shaky to use a soldering iron.

Now THAT'S a story!

I got mine in 1992 I think. I didn't get one untill prices of the old gameboy dropped haha. I was stuffed in the house somewhere. Untill I read online that people were making music on gameboys. Took me a while to find it back wink

Last edited by Crackbits (Oct 23, 2012 11:17 am)

La paz - Bolivia

Got mine on a store that sells vintage toys...
I was aiming to buy a traslucent GBC and a Pokemon Yellow cart, but the GBC wouldn't work. The store guy spent five minutes, trying different carts on the GBC, without a result. Then he put the pkmn cart on a pink GBC, the cart wouldn't work either.

So he offered me a pink GBC with a PKMN blue cart (wasn't labeled, though)

Just when I was about to accept his offer, I noticed a translucent fuschia GBA on a corner, and asked too see it. I think the he got fed up with my presence, since he offered to give me the defective pkmn yellow cart as a gift if I bought the GBA.

Turns out, the cart contacts were dirty.

Canada
Starpilot wrote:

Haha classic.
I still had my turquoise GBC, so I just used that. Later bought a green brick from this russian guy at my flea market for 5 bucks. Since then I've acquired a bit more, but I still use the green dmg a bunch:)

Holland

I didn't have an one gameboy (my first gameboy I used for music was a mix of 5 killed gameboys, I dubbed it Frankenboy). But got them all from internet for about 5 euros each (then they where working, I killed most of them trying to mod them but RCA mod can be aweful when you dont know placement). And before that I had a Translucent purple GBA.

Last edited by relo (Oct 23, 2012 3:13 pm)

washington

I started writing music on an emulator, but now I use the atomic purple GBA that I've had since childhood.