São Paulo, Brazil

Not a job, but I got money for about 50% of the gigs I have performed. And once I got a "real" job, all that money was invested on gear. So, at least I don't spend money making music and don't use its money for boring stuff like paying bills.

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Mar 4, 2010 12:31 pm)

Unsubscribe

Its basically a HOB.

A gray world of dread
Disasterpeace wrote:

Also, it's important to recognize your own energy. Some people can iterate like 12 times a day *COUGH*little-scale*COUGH* but some people simply can't. If you have endless reserves of creative energy to dedicate, writing music for a living might be for you. It's also a rewarding challenge to try to write great music inside of other peoples' limitations (sound familiar?)

I've been writing music for video games and it's really fantastic. The only downside is always having to be around the computer so much. I wish I had a piano and could write music on paper easily!

I think the more important part is, at least for me, preserving the feeling of freedom you have with hobbies. Certainly, doing comissioned work can be fun (mostly for the challenges involved, as you mentioned) and the reward of seeing it comming together is very satisfying.
However, I'm easily being stressed by pressure of commitment, which can build up pretty fast when your creativity decides to ignore the outlines of a project completely and wanders off to something different instead (which mine is prone to do). The fun always, always ends once money is involved sad

Kiel, Germany
herr_prof wrote:

Its basically a HOB.

This, though I prefer the term "jobby" because it reminds me of jolly hobbits.

Unsubscribe

Hob = Something that takes as much effort as a job, but has no source of financial support.

Rice Lake, WI
herr_prof wrote:

Hob = Something that takes as much effort as a job, but has no source of financial support.

that pretty much sums it up for me

Godzilladelph
herr_prof wrote:

Its basically a HOB.

/thread

Philly
Disasterpeace wrote:

I wish I had a piano and could write music on paper easily!

If you've got the space, and the means to move one, people are almost always giving away free pianos on Craigslist.  Off topic I know, sorry.

UK

Hobby, my job is robots.

Camden, London
bigchip wrote:

Hobby, my job is robots.

*elaborate* big_smile !

Los Angeles

Jobby - Something that takes as much effort as a hobby, but has a source of financial support.

J/k, If it were only that easy right?! wink

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Mar 4, 2010 8:50 pm)

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Neither.

THIS SHIT IS A LYFSTYLZ.

Riverside, CA
10k wrote:

THIS SHIT IS A LYFSTYLZ.

brooklyn!
The Silph Scope wrote:
10k wrote:

THIS SHIT IS A LYFSTYLZ.

ba-boom

Berkeley, CA
µB wrote:

I think the more important part is, at least for me, preserving the feeling of freedom you have with hobbies. Certainly, doing comissioned work can be fun (mostly for the challenges involved, as you mentioned) and the reward of seeing it comming together is very satisfying. However, I'm easily being stressed by pressure of commitment, which can build up pretty fast when your creativity decides to ignore the outlines of a project completely and wanders off to something different instead (which mine is prone to do). The fun always, always ends once money is involved sad

Haha, yea that's true. It's definitely not always easy to write music for other people and can be stressful at times. But if you're lucky you can pick and choose your projects in such a way that you're always pushing your boundaries but not giving yourself a stroke. And hopefully you don't tackle too much work that you can't afford to have an off day. I think the money's just proof that you're providing something of value to someone, anyone. People gotta eat!

Berkeley, CA
Ro-Bear wrote:
Disasterpeace wrote:

I wish I had a piano and could write music on paper easily!

If you've got the space, and the means to move one, people are almost always giving away free pianos on Craigslist.  Off topic I know, sorry.

Ah yes you're right! I forgot about that. I'll have to look into it once I move out to the west coast. Cheers smile