mainz, grmny.

Obviously so going mainstream.

Brunswick, GA USA

Slightly related

Tulsa, OK
Heosphoros wrote:

I thought only Bright Primate had sold out?

Did you mean to say that he is the only one doing well?

im a best selling author i make chiptune for fun

A gray world of dread

from what I read, the consensus seems to be that chipmusic should stay underwater

I agree with Jellica

Planet Zaxxon

I still believe some chip artists could slide their way into those huge electronic music festivals, where the draw is like 5 to 10 thousand people. The creative dancey ones only of course, since electronic fans who never heard "chiptune" before would probably still be able to grasp it when heard on a huge loud system surrounded by tons of wild people.

But even that is not mainstream. Once you get into that scene, there is money to be made to support yourself successfully. And no one had to "sell out" to get there! Go figure!

Basically what I'm saying is that its possible for chiptune to grow as big as it can with huge followings/crowds/shows, and never get "mainstream." as you guys are saying. We just need to piggyback off EDM. ha.

Abandoned on Fire

Scotch Egg.

Unsubscribe

3 pages in less than 6 hours? <RUNS THE FUCK AWAY>

Nottingham, UK
egr wrote:

Scotch Egg.

Got so drunk at a gig my mate went to that the venue cancelled the whole thing and refused to put on nights like that any more. True story.

Content: Any time this question comes up, people use EDM as the place we should be aiming. What about rock oriented chipmusic? Did Colonopenbracket forever taint that with the ghost of Malcolm MacLaren? Or are we afraid of forever being told we're Anamanaguchi ripoffs?

Madriz, Supain

Ive seen a lot of people in the dubstep scene incorporate silly chip vsts and hold gameboys in their pictures.

If thats going mainstream, I say, hell no.
If thats underground, I say, hell no.

i had hoped the "taking old NES soundtracks and adding wubs" portion would stay underground but that's the thing which sells most on bandcamp. maybe you need to compete with that dreck so as to portray chiptune with a little more dignity.

ohgodno, Indiana

If chips 'underground' it was pretty damn easy to find....lol

Hungary

Too bad that much of aa dubstep and electro shit. While the majority of the chiptune good. And we only look at the more famous artists. Never will the mainstream performers call themselves chiptune musicians. And that's the way it is. The fact that he plays on the gameboy music will never be mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCjkYMU6Ha0

They used to live gameboy and never mentioned what the chip music concept ...

Planet Zaxxon
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Content: Any time this question comes up, people use EDM as the place we should be aiming. What about rock oriented chipmusic? Did Colonopenbracket forever taint that with the ghost of Malcolm MacLaren? Or are we afraid of forever being told we're Anamanaguchi ripoffs?

Because we are electronic music, and EDM is big so it makes sense!

Any chip guys with full band instrumentation (those lucky jerks who can get others together) should be be playing with rock bands or whatever bands. That's easy. And those guys got it made, being able to play shows with chiptune guys and regular bands. DOUBLE WHAMMY SCENE CRASHER.

Madriz, Supain
Acid wrote:

Too bad that much of aa dubstep and electro shit. While the majority of the chiptune good. And we only look at the more famous artists. Never will the mainstream performers call themselves chiptune musicians. And that's the way it is. The fact that he plays on the gameboy music will never be mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCjkYMU6Ha0

They used to live gameboy and never mentioned what the chip music concept ...

I was talking about this guys, for example

Sweden
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

listen: almost all of chip music is gimmicky. we are using videogame systems to write music with. its a gimmick.

How's this in itself a gimmick?

even calling it "chip music" rather than "lo fi house" or "electro rock" or whatever the actual genre of the music might be is gimmicky.

How will calling chip music "lo fi house" or "electro rock" (totally not gimmicky btw) instead of chip music improve the situation? What makes "lo fi house" or "electro rock" more "actual genres" than "chip music"?  That sort of vain wordplay won't magically give chip music more credence. u all know why u here

all our shirts emblazoned with gameboys and Ataris? gimmicky.

As opposed to what printed t-shirt?