this was exactly what I was trying to say over in the "musings on a train" topic. this art form should extend beyond novelty.

Chicago, IL

I heard a new Linkin Park song on the radio with a square lead with some mild arps on it. It definitely sounded chippy and it was disappointing when the vocals came in and ruined it.

I think we'll see more mainstream music 'borrowing' some lo-fi instruments or techniques (in the next 5 years) but legitimate chip music is faaaar away from radio play. People are either into it or they think it's too novel an idea and don't consider it real music even if they like the catchyness. This is just based on reactions I've seen personally. With that being said, I still think the 'scene' has room to grow and there's more nerds and gamers out there who havent been exposed to enough chip music, but overall the masses arent ready for this shit.

Sweden
lastfuture wrote:

I think everyone calling "chip music" a genre should stop it... it's like saying "guitar music" or "drum music" is a proper genre. It's really not. It's a good way to find together as a group who like to play the same kinds of instruments and talk about how to improve and tweak them, how to play or how to record them etc. In that respect we're no different than any other group of instrument players.

calling it "chip music" to the public audience is in my eyes trying to profile ourselves by highlighting the kind of instrument we are using instead of emphasizing WHAT we do with it. If I'm going to a "guitar music" concert, I better like rock, or metal, or acoustic guitar quartets, or nickelback, or flamenco ... I don't think I have to continue.

Just because so many chip artists seem to gravitate towards a certain genre, it's possible to understand "chip music" as a genre. Nothing prevents anybody from writing jazz, flamenco, ballads or polka on a NES, in fact I suspect it's all been done already (and I know for a fact some of these have been done). And when we call THAT chip music it becomes deceiving, because people don't get what they expect.

I'm not sure why you think that chipmusic isn't a genre, especially since you use rock and jazz -- two really broad and vaguely defined genres -- as examples. A genre in this case is a name for a set of identifying properties that can be used to distinguish a work from another. I can't see what makes you think it needs to be more specific than that when people have been defining genres using properties like time era, instrumentation, geographical origins, cultural and social background and political tone to define them for ages. Style and form or whatever you think is the ultimate defining point of a musical genre is really just one of many possible aspects of it, as far as I see it.

Calling chipmusic "rock" (or whatever) while avoiding the fact that it's also chipmusic is just being intentionally vague, for better or for worse. It's simply not very helpful to anyone looking to hear either chipmusic or rock music.

Brunswick, GA USA

Austin, Texas

lol this thread

Playboy Man-Baby

I'm kind of curious to see how Vice would handle presenting chipmusic (They wouldn't be covering drugs or politics, so they'd less likely to fuck up their portrayal).

Hungary

I will be safe from it to be mainstream. Hungary is small and there are very few even know why ..

hardcore, Australia
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

I'm kind of curious to see how Vice would handle presenting chipmusic (They wouldn't be covering drugs or politics, so they'd less likely to fuck up their portrayal).

I think you'll find The Creators Project already did, with a 3-part feature on Datathrash Recordings and its artists.

http://thecreatorsproject.com/blog/tag/ … recordings

If you post on chipmusic.org, you won't be going mainstream, so don't worry.

Abandoned on Fire
godinpants wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

I think you'll find The Creators Project already did, with a 3-part feature on Datathrash Recordings and its artists.

http://thecreatorsproject.com/blog/tag/ … recordings

I'm quite happy with how that turned out.  It's gear-centric but has music embeds right along side and some nice intros.  Was a good experience.

Unsubscribe
Stevens wrote:

If you post on chipmusic.org, you won't be going mainstream, so don't worry.

NC in the US of America

Chip Rock, Cool Chip Jazz, Electro Chip, Technchipno, Chiphouse, Breakchip, SID Pop, Game Punk, Heavy NEStal, Ataristep, FMolk, Amigolka, Atariachi, Rumboy, Atariango, BBC MicRock, SID Surf, Neo Geometal, Grooveboy, FunkNES, Hip Chip, Singer/Chiptuner...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Nov 16, 2012 8:25 pm)

Gosford, Australia

i like neo geometal the most