matt's mind

^ i sort of agree with this more inclusive medium approach as well, in how this would increase the potential for involvement in any given thread.

Murcia, Spain
ant1 wrote:

the annoying thing is that this thread could have been called simply "when do you usually compose" and every post in it so far besides mine and 4mat's would have made sense,  AND me and 4mat could have contributed something a little more constructive

and there are a Lot of threads like this which seem to exclude the, ahem,  "minorities", for no real reason. non lsdj users might start to feel like, ahem, "second class citizens", and just do stuff like write "never" in this thread or start a new thread called "when do you usually use xm/it trackers?", both of which you would find annoying

and it is a symptom of the general attitude of the, ahem, "scene", that people are putting LSDJ in thread titles where it doesn't belong just because they FORGOT that there are non-lsdj users here too.

By no means I wanted to exclude anyone from replying and participating in this thread. The main thing here was that LSDJ is something portable, and so I was interested to hear if people make music hanging from a tree or while in the bus.
Of course I'd love to hear about people who use different trackers for different platforms. I just didn't think about it when I made the thread. I'm still a noob in the scene, and don't even know of the existance of many trackers yet.
I'll change the thread title right now, and if I can't I'd like a mod to change it for me.
And sorry, if I've made someone a "second class citizen" unwillingly.

TSSBAY01

when i am pregnant with ideas.

Chicago IL, USA

When I have a 2 liter of mountain dew and a fresh pack of smokes.

DogTag wrote:

[...]
The main thing here was that LSDJ is something portable, and so I was interested to hear if people make music hanging from a tree or while in the bus.
[...]

Who does that?
The last time i tried to make something good on a Train it turn'd out really bad.
Usually i just do it at Home, so i can listen to it loud and clear through some Speakers multiple times.
Also when i'm traveling and need to take care of when to leave the train, it dosn't help that i just hear bleeps and bloops all the time.

Brunswick, GA USA

Necro with Vim classic

Orange County,CA /Las Vegas NV

I usually compose when I'm in the restroom doing my nightly poop. Not kidding. I spend like an hour each day on composing, probaly 9 hours a week x4x12 Lots of composing

New Albany Indiana

People say its an excuse i say so i can compensate my own thinking of my music, but in all seriousness, i compose 90% of my music while take dumps.

UK, Leicester
datacats wrote:

between 2-4 in the morning.

This, or as I usually put it "The time when I should be sleeping"

Other than that, I sometimes write stuff between 4pm and 11pm, but mostly at stupid o'clock in the morning.

Montreal, Canada

I compose when I'm...

a) inspired, in which case coherent music splurts out of me in big gooey lumps
b) uninspired and bored, in which case I end up with a 4 pattern generic piece of crap I'll never touch again
c) drunk, in which case I make the best fucking song in the world, and the next day when I'm sober I realize it's awful
d) jacked up on caffeine, in which case I just end up loading old projects and adding insane amounts of barely audible details everywhere

And these moments happen, respectively....

a) when I should be doing something more important with my life but can't...cause... inspired.... must compose!@#$%^&
b) when I have boring life stuff to do and I'm trying to escape it, justifying my apathy with the fact I could be productive and make music.
c) any given time, it's kind of sad that way
d) any given time alcohol is not within arm's reach

Gosford, Australia

long train trips are definitely where i get the ball rolling with most tracks, usually wrap things up at home though
mixing/producing/recording is totally different though

Chicago IL

when everyone else is asleep

At exactly 8 p.m every day I compose for exactly one hour.

Last edited by _-_- (Mar 23, 2013 10:37 am)