Tokyo, Japan

Just a quick bump on this to see how the project is progressing!

Yea, what's the next step?

Boston, MA

news?

Well as far as help with graphics is concerned, I've spoken to several people that seem willing to help through email and PM's.
There seems to be a couple of people with console coding experience that are interested in taking part as well. I'm happy to see both the enthusiasm and the round of support from everyone. Things like that makes this project more exciting to take on.

I've purchased a domain name + hosting services and am preparing to start a website. Primarily, this website is for another music project of mine which has been in the works for several years now and is nearing completion ( a blend of Electronic, Classical, Jazz, and Metal/Rock with a hint of "chip" here and there). But I've decided to also use this website for the Tracker project. So, the first thing I want to do is get this website ready to go, as it will be the central hub for all news and updates relating to this tracker. This is for everyone's convenience and will assist me in more efficiently managing my time as far as communicating the progress of tracker development, instead of bouncing around forums and what have you. As soon as the website is presentable I will post a link to it here.

Secondly, there's confusion as to how I'm going to approach driving the YM chip. There are drivers already coded out there that could theoretically be implemented in the tracker to MAJORLY streamline development (meaning I wouldn't have to deal with coding the sound engine from scratch). Unfortunately, the one I was hoping to use apparently wasn't designed for real time music sequencing. It's open source, and either I'd have to make some modifications to it myself, or I could contact the devs and have them make the necessary changes. Either way, this one thing right here is the pivotal point for the entire development of the tracker and will dictate how long it takes to get it fully functional. The difference between months and years. If it turns out that this sound engine can be used, then the interface along with other critical coding tasks for the tracker will IMMEDIATELY be started. If worst case scenario? Then I'm going to have to start my own basic sound engine. But I have a good and suspicious feeling that the Echo sound engine is malleable for tracker purposes smile We shall see.

I want you all to know that I have a full time job, a Fiancee' to take care of, a trip to Phoenix, Arizona coming up, a huge music project in the works, various other handheld device DIY projects as well as this Genesis tracker project. I live a very busy life, multitasking all of this isn't exactly the simplest way to do things and initial progress on the tracker itself isn't going to be as nice and quick as we all want it to be. Yeah, it's probably going to take a while until we see a downloadable demo. However, I'm certain that once we get to this point updates will be a lot more frequent and progress will go a lot more smoothly.

So website, then sound engine.

Forum bug caused double post... please delete this for forum cleanliness.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Nov 30, 2012 7:23 am)

Slovakia / European Union

MDTRQ will be fine smile.

Tokyo, Japan
CountSymphoniC wrote:

Yeah, it's probably going to take a while until we see a downloadable demo. However, I'm certain that once we get to this point updates will be a lot more frequent and progress will go a lot more smoothly.

I dont think taking time is any problem, people will remember the quality of the product for a lot longer than they will remember the development time. Also this is a pretty awesome community so if you run into any walls, totally let us know and someone can probably help!

Thanks for the update by the way.

Canada

one of us.

but ya, I agree. Your personal progress probably means more to this community than your output smile

But I still will miss Shiru´s VGM music maker...

Canada

Was that Sega Genesis native? I'm not too sure it was...
Plus, it's still out there. THIS project HERE as many many possibilities.

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 30, 2012 7:36 pm)

Chicago IL

VGM MM was not native and can never be taken away from you

OK OK I know...  You will produce own homebrew cartridge+usb link or you will use Krikkz´s everdrive for tracker or littlescale´s midi cart???
BTW I can donate team or coder of native with 2x old Krikzz 64m USB cartridge (model before everdrive) when they will send me back 2x NATIVE TRACKER cartridges in future.
PM me for old dev flash carts...

Last edited by Tinctu (Dec 1, 2012 9:30 am)

Just posted asking if there was one, but DEFINITELY make one!
A port to the gamegear would be lovely too!

Pensacola, Fl

I am pumped that this topic exists. You should make a kickstarter page for this. I am no very programming savvy but I love composing on my LSDJ, I would love to support the creation of this somehow

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

What kind of hardware specifications does the Genesis have, and what's the programming like? There's a C compiler, just like for Gameboy... I'm assuming there are flash cartridges people can use? Sorry for asking n00bish questions.

Germany
CountSymphoniC wrote:

I want you all to know that I have a full time job, a Fiancee' to take care of, a trip to Phoenix, Arizona coming up, a huge music project in the works, various other handheld device DIY projects as well as this Genesis tracker project. I live a very busy life, multitasking all of this isn't exactly the simplest way to do things and initial progress on the tracker itself isn't going to be as nice and quick as we all want it to be. Yeah, it's probably going to take a while until we see a downloadable demo. However, I'm certain that once we get to this point updates will be a lot more frequent and progress will go a lot more smoothly.

Maybe I'm a bit pessimistic here, but I'm pretty sure this whole project won't happen. sad