Enid, OK

Thought I'd start a thread to see what kind of musical background chip musicians have. With only one submission I don't know if I'd qualify myself as a chip musician yet ;P, however in my former musical life I was a violinist.

What about you?

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

Guitar
Pot and pan kitchen drums

Anaheim, California

piano for a few years

Central-ish VA

Drum set, noise, being absolutely terrible at the piano.

I hardly have any idea where I came from musically and where I am going musically.  How about that?

AANABAY01

fifteen years of singing and practising keyboard without tuition and as many playing bad jrpgs for the sake of listening to their soundtracks big_smile

also listening very closely to 70s progressive rock over and over again until their ideas replaced the ones i accidentally learned from there being too much britpop and trance on the radio

The Mountains

blastbeats and thrashbeats, bgvox and squeegie cocks

IL, US

noise, noise-punk, punk rock, lofi experimental guitar loops, improv bands, experimental electronic music

))<>((

I played the violin through out elementary school, but I stopped, and forgot pretty much everything I knew about music. After high school, I started taking electronic music, and other assorted music classes in college, and that's pretty much where I'm at now, three years later.

NJ/MA

Clarinet in elementary school.  Trumpet through part of high school in the concert band and jazz group.  I'm trying to start playing both again!

Last edited by vickysbooties (Mar 9, 2010 6:14 am)

Wheeling, WV

Piano - Twelve years
Guitar - Six years
Ukulele - Four years

Nashville, Tennessee

trumpet, in middle school.
french horn, in middle school
guitar, 7 or 8 years
music theory classes, 3 years
ukulele, bass, etcccccccetera
a few bands over the year
and then started making electronic music at 14 or 15, im 20 now, in college for music related things.

Last edited by smiletron (Mar 9, 2010 6:33 am)

Planet Zaxxon

I grew up with a piano and guitar in the house. I played clarinet in elementary school. Then I got a drumset in 8th grade and I saved up for my own guitar the following year. So Ive been playing drums, guitar, and piano for 14 years now. And I also have a degree in Music and Sound Recording. Can I get a job anywhere? gosh no.

Seattle, WA

guitar and bass

astral cat

played in a few punk and metal bands
guitar for 13 years - still suck.
piano and keyboard for about 8 or 9 years
drums now and again, just the basics really
i played cello for 5 years which i hated
and i did 4 years of music theory at high school which i was pretty good at
music has always been a big part of my life

Marysville, WA

Mainly metalcore and grindcore type stuff.

From like 1st grade till 7th grade I thought singing was awesome, so I did choir and whatnot... then I realized I couldn't sing for shit (aside from guttural/screaming) and gave up and started playing guitar around the same time.
About 2 years ago after my younger brother became fucking amazing at guitar I stopped playing it to pursue piano... which I'm decent at, just like I am with guitar.
I've been in more bands than I can count since then, none of which worked out because having a band means having band members you have to rely on (which are never reliable).
I've also played trombone and I recently started getting serious/good with drumming...

Last edited by FTF (Mar 9, 2010 9:28 am)

Westcoast Norway

around 14 years of drumming with background in black metal and (jazzed and funked) rock. I also enjoy playing everything else, especially the funk!