MA

Playing all kinds of percussion...conventional and unconventional percussive instruments.... Drum(set), conga/bongo/Djembe, washboard, pots, pans, tin cans, table tops, basically anything that can produce sound(s) and create a beat I'm down with.... Also been to 100's of concerts and shows...and festivals.....not ever paying attention to "pop" music.... Listen to a lot of Jazz, Funk, Jam Stuff... Jazz being the most influential.....Listen to a lot of Frank Zappa (Musical Genius waaaaaaaayyy ahead of his time).... and chip music has just been a result of playing waaaaaayyy tooo much NES....and other older video gaming systems..... I have always been a big fan of most of the classic BGM for video games, from the time I was introduced to my first NES game (back in the late 80's)
Favorite instrument is the Washboard of course! When I get better with circuit bending and modding I like to electrify my washboard and incorporate it with electronic music, and other music.... LSDJ and Washboard....hmmm

Basically I have a love for every genre of music... I like the "best" IMO of every genre.... jazz, funk, soul, r&b, hip-hop, blues, metal/progressive/classic rock, classical, reggae, drum n bass,  avant-garde, etc.....list could go on forever....my favorite artist's probably wouldn't fit in one post....you get the idea...

Last edited by Turtle413 (Mar 9, 2010 10:25 am)

SF

(post) punk
grunge
some alternative rock
house
indie, maybe
noise rock
dance punk
obscurity

A gray world of dread

Banging pots & pans as a kid. Then making funny noises by shooting out the cleaner from my recorder in elementary school. Then started to teach myself guitar, then bass. From there some bands that went like thrash metal -> punk -> grunge. Then my first chippy period with Adlib -> ST3 -> FT2. Then ambient, trip-hop, industrial, illbient for a very long time. Then now.

Tokyo, Japan

hmmm...
french horn when I was at school
drums when I left school
dabbled with guitar
nothing serious, but lots of fun

Athens, Greece

crack

lolusa

Wanted to be just another guitarist in a metal band.
Ended up doing some post-punkish stuff playing guitar and keys
Did some psychedelic bluesy jam stuff.
Took some Music theory courses
Now I'm occasionaly playing dubstep shows in portland.
u___U

Milan, Italy

I study clarinet since i was 11.
I played bass and drums in many HC Punk and death / thrash metal bands..

Then 2 years ago i discovered lsdj and started my chipmusic project.

Now I play Bass in a Crust band with Black Metal influences. :3
..and panflute in a folk band.

Last edited by arottenbit (Mar 9, 2010 12:42 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

guitar, bass guitar and drums, for almost 20 years.

Milan, Italy

lol. big_smile

East Kilbride, Scotland

I started playing guitar and singing backup in a punk band, after that I started writing music myself. I went back and formed an acoustic duo which turned into a five piece band, then went back to being an acoustic duo. I only write solo at the moment due to a lack of time to do anything else, which is a shame.

I've never been big on musical theory (mostly because most of it goes over my head), I prefer to just make sense of things for myself.

Austin, TX

multiple years of studying classical and jazz guitar & bass, trained in basic piano skills, a bit of choir, was in rock bands all throughout high school.  Also made a lot, a lot of noise music during high school.  experimented with composing electronic music in other forms before chip, liked em but not as much (was using / studying Reason /Cubase in school. was doing solo effected keyboard / sampler stuff)

edit: also lots of shoegaze / sonic youth, punk listening

Last edited by Princess (Mar 9, 2010 12:56 pm)

Ogrim wrote:

around 14 years of drumming with background in black metal and (jazzed and funked) rock. I also enjoy playing everything else, especially the funk!

I want to hear your funky black metal.

(badly self-taught) piano, bass in a band for 5 years, guitar, 20 years working in games industry though first half of that was chip. (amiga/gb/snes/megadrive)

Trained in Piano, Clarinet, Saxophone and general composing since youth.

Self thought guitar and drums for 15 years.

astral cat
Heosphoros wrote:

Trained in Piano, Clarinet, Saxophone and general composing since youth.

Self thought guitar and drums for 15 years.

you jazzy bastard

Rice Lake, WI

Self taught musician for the past 13 years, mostly guitar and drums with a little piano dabbled here and there.  Been in many horrible punk/metal bands and thank god I got out. I like being a control freak smile