Camden, London

I learned to play a trumpet in junior school. I wanted to play trombone but the store was out of stock that day.
In high school i learned guitar and hated it but kept figuring i'd get used to it... of course i didn't so in 2005 i found out about this stuff.

Edmonton, Canada

Self taught in guitar, bass, and drums. Unfortunately, guitar is the only instrument I can play on a competent level, the rest I have a good understanding of.

BOSTON

I have a WEIRD history:

Session guitarist for a metal/rock recording studio
Certificate in Theory and Composition from Berklee
Bachelors (and most of Masters)  in Music from The Boston Conservatory in Classical Composition,
with minors in Piano Performance and Orchestral Conducting (HAHAHAHA)
5 years touring, recording (and charting) with indie rock band Fugitive Kind: http://www.myspace.com/fugitivekind

and now im on here all day long, go figure

San Antonio, Texas

Trombone for three years of middle school. Then choir for one year. I sang for one band then I did keyboards and programming for another band. Didn't much like bands. Took some music classes in college and here I am.

Guitar, Bass & Drums.
Briefly went to a conservatory to receive some Guitar instruction,
Toured with the NYC punk scene for a while
I was also part of the Rave scene for a while

I've done tons of other stuff but I don't want this to sound like a resume,
I like all genres, all kinds of music, all kinds of experimental projects...   as long as they sound good and make you feel good

philly

when i was a young kid my dad had a yamaha DX21... that was the first synth i ever used... i was always mostly interested in synthesizers - never learned guitar or anything - got into tracking in 1996

Last edited by alex_mauer (Mar 14, 2010 8:28 pm)

Olympia, WA

I played trumpet in 6th and 7th grade. I started learning how to play drums and bass around 15, i gave up on drums... started playing guitar when i was 16. I played my first punk show when i was 15. I started writing on the computer using Noteworthy Composer when i was 16, when i started really getting into video game music. this was back in 2002 or so. around that same time i discovered ModPlug tracker, but i couldn't use it very well... and then i started using Fruity Loops in 2003 or so, but i didn't get real good at it until a year or so later, I have since mastered it. 

I consider guitar my primary instrument, but i can play keys pretty well, and bass okay.

Adelaide, Australia

Initially, piano for five years, but I hated practising and was more keen to experiment. I've been playing acoustic guitar off and on for 15 years. I started tracking my own electronic music near the end of 1998, aged 14 and haven't looked back since. I've only been doing chipmusic for about two years and am still learning more and more about tracking and music creation in general, all the time.

Jakarta, Indonesia

i was a independent comicstripper on my country..and an artworker..

Connecticut USA

Geetar. Pjano. R E G U L A electronic music.

Austin, TX

French horn for 8 yrs,
Bugle for 6yrs,
Trumpet 2yrs,
Guitar & Piano off and on forever...
Actually writing/studying music for the last 4yrs.

Eugene, OR

I can play drums.  Thretris and I had a band for a while:)

Melbourne

I have a degree in jazz! I can get a job now right guys!? Right? Guys?

Philadelphia, United States

piano, guitar, a bit of drumming, trumpet, and primarily bass guitar and the double bass. I play a lot of jazz music on double bass and I'm a part of an orchestra.

San Luis Obispo, CA

I really love the distinct mixture of classically trained musicians vs. those who have a punk/metal/hardcore/"I taught myself" background. I wonder if this blend is what makes chip music so special. My personal experiences lean towards the latter, having played drums and bass in grindcore/hardcore bands (self taught).

uhajdafdfdfa

Trumpet, guitar, piano, flute, since forever. But this "chiptunes" thing probably comes more from my experiments with basic "beep()" function, MS sound recorder, propellerheads rebirth, various MIDI editors and a yamaha QY-20 since about 2000 or 2001 (so why do I still suck? sad ).

Last edited by ant1 (May 24, 2010 8:23 am)