Chicago

https://vimeo.com/54486268
smile
So, would I be right in presuming that I'd be the third person to successfully build/own one of these mods?
As far as I know it goes:
1. Nex
2. 12ianma

Gosford, Australia

what, nah a bunch of other dudes have done this afaik
it's a properly tough mod though, good job!

Boston, MA

scan and share your notes and your effort will live on forever! those other dudes dont want to share... I have no problem hosting the info on my site and giving you full credit

saintpaul, mn

I hate to rain on your parade but... what's the point of this?

Chicago
ultramega wrote:

scan and share your notes and your effort will live on forever! those other dudes dont want to share... I have no problem hosting the info on my site and giving you full credit

Well, utlramega the whole reason I got REALLY into this project is so that I could share it.
PM me I can send you scans of my original notes 3 pages long if your interested.

I like the idea of hosting my information on other sites, its always good to have mirrored copies of this kinda stuff.
For now though, I recreated the gist of the notes into two separate photos.
Only thing that's not included here is the diagram I made of the wiring inside the cable that gets connected to the pocket display connector.

(Also worth noting: While collecting voltage information, both the DMG and MGB were connected to an outlet so there was a steady source of power unlike batteries sometimes.)

Obligatory: This is just my own personal information I'm deciding to share with you, I'm not responsible if you end up breaking something while attempting to wire up this pin out.

Good luck everyone, have fun!
heart - Goingham

Chicago
meotojite wrote:

I hate to rain on your parade but... what's the point of this?

The pocket screen is a better candidate for a screen since its pixel color is truer to shades of black instead of being blueish like that of a normal DMG. Also it revives any front pcb with horizontal lines by replacing screen entirely big_smile. Plus its just another thing to add to the list of documented gameboy modifications.

FYI those of us keen on new Gameboy products may want to look seriously at the potential candidates for these screen transplants wink

Can you close the whole shebang into the DMG shell?

Chicago

The whole shebang, it will be able to close

ultramega wrote:

I chose to not post my results for two reasons, neither being for personal gain. The first being I respected the wish of the procedures originator (who gets like 99% credit for proving this was even possible) and second I didn't want it to be commercialized (spirit of DIY).

Many credits to GoingHam. He did something others can not and did not, continue trying.

Sydney, NSW
12ianma wrote:

I didn't want it to be commercialized (spirit of DIY).

It's kinda hard to do-it-yourself without notes or instructions, though!

The Wild Wintery North
Chainsaw Police wrote:
12ianma wrote:

I didn't want it to be commercialized (spirit of DIY).

It's kinda hard to do-it-yourself without notes or instructions, though!

The point of DIY is to be innovative AND do things yourself. Therefore, you can use notes to get things started or use them to , but if you have understanding, then it's nice to be innovative and try things yourself tongue

Boston, MA

PM'd. sharing is always better than not sharing. unless its STDs.

but seriously there is nothing cool about flaunting that you know how to do something and not sharing how. I can understand 12ianma respecting NEX's wishes, but whatever NEX's reasons are, its lame. If his intention was to ultimately commercialize the idea, he should have kept it to himself until he was ready to sell. I'm all about sharing whatever I make, and I believe members of this forum will grow faster as musicians and modders if we continue to share

KC
ultramega wrote:

PM'd. sharing is always better than not sharing. unless its STDs.

No Doubt

I came here to this forum when I found a new hobby and genre of music I was excited about but was dissappointed to find that when you ask questions there a ton of people who hang out on the internet, on forums intended to discuss and share such info on said topic(s), then jump your ass when you ask something they already know, already have been asked, etc.

a mod like this I find hard to see it as commercially profitable. I imagine it took a long time to do that and wouldn't be that profitable for the effort.

it's cool to be nice

NC in the US of America

Okay. This is a bit off topic, but I remember when the Pocket first came out the commercials were like "The screen is the same size, the gameboy is just smaller so the screen looks bigger", but I see all these websites that say the pocket's screen IS bigger than the DMG's. What's what?

Also, I've always been partial to the green tint, myself. I'm glad BGB does it right smile

hi guys,

i haven't been on here in ages, had loads of other things going on.

i just wanted to explain why i didn't post the info on this mod,

firstly all my info was in scraps on the desk, i didn't get round to doing a proper write up.
secondly anyone who has done this or attempted this will know it is a fiddly job, i have been emailed by lots of enthusiastic modders who have attempted things way beyond their limits and destroyed gameboys in the process. my aim was to prevent damage to DMG and pocket gameboys.

its not possible to even begin to do this mod without first removing the DMG screen, this is a one way move. then the pocket screen must be soldered to the board or the connector from the gameboy pocket. this will most likely make the pocket useless as well. if after that it does not work, or the screen is damaged, for example during backlighting, then the modder will end up with two broken gameboys.

my aim was to produce a replacement front PCB that would allow a pocket screen to be attached without destroying any gameboys. the front panel was also going to include extra parts such as an arduino based RGB controller, on board arduinoboy, mounting points for extra crystals, a pitch bend, battery level monitor and a few other ideas. this idea would be finalized with a replacement back board as well, possibly including a lithium battery pack controller to bring the gameboy up to modern portable standards.

this hasn't happened yet because i am still learning Eagle, the program used for making PCBs. i have sent my first PCB to the printer to see if i have a grasp of the program.

if people REALLY must have this information then i can make it public, not that that matters now, but i hope that people will understand that this mod is not like a pro sound or an underclock, it can very easily leave you without a working gameboy.