TSSBAY01
Jansaw wrote:

Holy crap! This happens to me all the time! Ill think of a tune, lyric, or even a chord progression that seems like genius, then go to bed/wake up fully and it'll be gone. It's getting them out at the right time that's hard. It's gotta be that your mind is more relaxed and not running at a high frequency cycle or something.

The musician as a clairvoyant... Romantic era thought. Really cool stuff temp:)

melatonin and kava together seemed to have a pretty profound effect on how much i was able to harness that. high kavalactone concentration in the kava, very low melatonin, like 1mg. i dont take either anymore and didnt take either for very long, but boy did it have an effect in being able to channel that lucidity. ive even noticed more recently that the way my brain works, i can hear a song even just once and somehow recall it in my sleep with the same or even more detail that i noticed when i was awake. usually its right as im waking up at the end of a sleep cycle these days. the brain is such a strange computer that it seems almost unfair or wrong to not take the cues from it when its resting as part of the experience of facing your essence and to try and take in as much as you can even if you're sleeping. then again, i guess i dont ever really feel 'asleep' as a result of that, ahaha.

The solar system .o.
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I prefer to listen to a lot of different music and then put all of it inconsciently on the music I write.

I've been doing this for the past 20 years and it has been working so far.

This is what I do as well!  Whenever I hear an awesome piece of music that I haven't heard before and really get into it, it gives me a ton of new ideas that seem to stem off of the ideas in the music that I listened to.

The Wild Wintery North

This sir, is awesome. If I was a mod; instant sticky smile

Canada

All great techniques.

And gee, thanks Goughy:)

A gray world of dread
eme7h wrote:
Wizwars wrote:

drugs.

My EP is called ketamine for a reason.

Honestly, most stuff I wrote on drugs is shit. I loose the control over composition and instrument, as well as objectivity about what sounds good and what doesn't. There hasn't been a drug yet that was able to pull me out of a creative slump either.

Well, I guess caffeine and nicotine work to keep me going, but that's more physical.

London, Ontario

meh, i could make some prog track with lots of time signature changes and make everything "pseudo classical" but thats not  something i enjoy. if people criticize me for making melody based music i could care less, im not going to force something out of me that i dont enjoy.

Canada

That's the whole point of this thread. To recognize and find styles and techniques that you–yourself–enjoy.

Los Angeles, CA

Yeah I used to write some killer fucking melodies that were happy, tried to have a good amount of variation within my songs. I usually failed because I'm kind of a hack, but my track Handheld Hero, which can be found under my ..uploaded music on this site, that was kinda the shit. But I got really bored making music that is technically interesting, even if I only wrote one or two songs that fall into that catagory. I just wanna write the most hardcore music I can and inspire playful violence at shows.

Its kind of interesting that Squarepusher talks about guitar after Hendrix, because for me it was that way with sequencing after listening to Squarepusher and Bogdan, sequencing could never be the same for me.

shanghai

i think if you need to read how to make your music interesting, you should probably stop reading and just make more and more songs. For me i just made a shit ton of songs, as the years rolled by i took things i liked from this and that software, ways to sequence drums and shit like that, until i settled in familiar techniques that make my music atleast interesting to my own ears if no one elses. I kind of find threads like this a bit pointless. but thats just me. hopefully they aid some people.

Godzilladelph

it's time FOOOOOORRRR

The Wild Wintery North
Downstate wrote:

i think if you need to read how to make your music interesting, you should probably stop reading and just make more and more songs. For me i just made a shit ton of songs, as the years rolled by i took things i liked from this and that software, ways to sequence drums and shit like that, until i settled in familiar techniques that make my music atleast interesting to my own ears if no one elses. I kind of find threads like this a bit pointless. but thats just me. hopefully they aid some people.

Really, the whole point of this thread seems to be ways of changing your songs to make them better, or just different techniques you can try. It may be pointless to you, but for me, for example, I can use this to find ways of improving my songs in a way I like. It's a useful tool. If you've got your songs sorted, then that's good for you, but this is valuable for people who are still learning. Maybe you even want to check out some of these ideas. Try them. You might like them after all.

Florianópolis-SC, Brasil
µB wrote:
eme7h wrote:

My EP is called ketamine for a reason.

Honestly, most stuff I wrote on drugs is shit. I loose the control over composition and instrument, as well as objectivity about what sounds good and what doesn't. There hasn't been a drug yet that was able to pull me out of a creative slump either.

Well, I guess caffeine and nicotine work to keep me going, but that's more physical.

Once I took a hit at this big joint and said to myself: "I'll make a track now, it'll be awesome". I ended up with the most retarded drum phrases known to men.

Chicago, IL

great write up. only thing that would make this better is visual examples and maybe even a couple audio ones.

Holland

tl;dr

I've maybe posted this before, but it's still a great concept, encouraging fresh thinking that is also personal :

http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/bria … lique.html

a few examples that have got me inspired this morning

"You can only make one dot at a time"
"Dont be afraid of things because they're easy to do"
"Give way to your worst impulse"