I have an atomic purple CGB that I intend to front light, etc. and I'm curious if anyone has any experience spray painting one from the inside. What colors work well? If it were the smoke variant I might not be as concerned, but with the slight purple tint I'm afraid of getting crappy results from a paint job. I'm thinking blue, red, green, some bright color that will hopefully show through well.

Also, sorry in advance for what will likely be an incredibly mundane/benign thread.

washington

Justin Thursday did an atomic purple CGB that was painted white from the inside, it looked sexy as hell. I think a bright blue or red would look nice, but that's just me.

Happy modding smile

I think a yellow would work well with a slight purple tinge!

Godzilladelph

if you spray on the outside, be sure to seal that shit with some clear coat. Also, you may want to prime your gameboy with either a white or black base before you begin.

Louisiana

Heres a blue:

Heres a red:

I personally like them both.

Louisiana

And dont use a primer for painting inside unless you find a clear primer but even then id suggest not doing it. May add a weird tint or prevent the color from being as vibrant as it could be.

Louisiana

Also Yellow was very cool too. Ive sold it though before i took pics. It was a local buyer request so no pics. It was years ago before I started documenting with photos. If i see him soon Ill snap a pic. Bright pink also looks very very cool.

Last edited by Vex (Nov 27, 2012 1:29 pm)

Beautiful work. The red one, was that atomic purple to begin with, or clear? Vinyl dyed, or color clear coated internally? It looks excellent.

Louisiana

Atomic purple man. Both of them were. I used Krylon Xmetals Red. Put about 2 coats on the inside. Then on the outside around the buttons i sprayed a thick coat of blue and let it drip to look like blood a little. Theres a little blue splatter inside also that gives it a weird scabbed look. It looks a lot better in person than in a photo. I call it the Dead Boy in tribute to Dead Pool.

Heres the front:

Around the AB buttons it looks almost black and i made it look like it was dripping from the dpad. No clear coat need because this particular paint kinda soaks in like a dye. The dpad is black now btw, not grey.

Louisiana

Ps: its for sale btw if you know anyone that may want it.

its pretty hot, the blood effect is tops.

Louisiana

Forgot this:

So in your experience, a couple coats of spray paint well still allow for a view into the innards? The red one seems slight enough that you'd fool me into thinking it's a special edition shell, or some sort of dye job/clear coating.

Louisiana

Id say no more than 3 for red and maybe 2 coats using blue. Its got to be a paint meant for metal if you want it to be see through. Also keep in mind the darker the color the fewer coats you want to use.

Side note: A lot of people think krylon xmetals is the only brand that lets you spray and keep a clear look or if youre doing a grey dmg itll let the lettering sahow through. This is not the case however, there are other brands that still allow for a clear look you just have to find them. Krylon Xmetals is just more available I think. But any spray paint meant for Metal will work.

If you arent worried about see through, id suggest any paint meant for plastics, especially the ones that bond to plastic. In all honesty though if you tape the case off right and paint on the inside it wont really matter what type of paint you use. Because your hands will never touch it. Ive been thinking about doing a black one myself sometime soon.

As for colors that dont really show the purple tint..any bright neon color or deep dark color will probably do the job.

Also a few tips when you paint:

-Dont leave the battery door attached to the back. Alot of people make that mistake.
-Use silly putty to plug up the speaker holes from the out side of the case. Helps prevent any un wanted paint getting on the front of te gameboy. Try as you might Tape will not suffice for this job. If you dont have silly putty use rounded tooth picks broken off and jam them in there. But honestly go buy some silly putty it 1$ at most stores and works alot better with less work and its reusable.
-Get yourself some thin painters tape..the blue stuff. Its awesome and peels off nice and smooth. Apply it firmly around all corners and holes that may allow paint to seep through. If you arent sure all the tape will do its job 100% just stuff some silly putty in the cracks.

Aaaand thats all I can think of. Good luck man.

If it work out and you get to the point of putting custom button in and you dont like the AB being on your buttons just message me and ill send you some pics on how you can cut the case so uou can put gameboy pocket buttons in it like i did with my Blood Boy. Makes it look nice in my personal opinion and more custom. Very simple to do.

KC

all the rules of good painting anything apply to spraying game consoles just the same. even more so when you use spray cans because the spray pattern is erratic.

tape well those areas you don't want painted. paint only in a warmer(ish) environment.

especially when using spray cans spray several VERY thin coats and allow AMPLE time to dry between coats. build it up gradually.
whether you're spraying the inside or out just the same.

spray a coat, dry, spray a coat, dry, repeat until you get the shade/intensity/coverage you are looking for.

it's a slow process and you have to monitor your progress slowly.

Vex wrote:

Id say no more than 3 for red and maybe 2 coats using blue. Its got to be a paint meant for metal if you want it to be see through. Also keep in mind the darker the color the fewer coats you want to use.

Side note: A lot of people think krylon xmetals is the only brand that lets you spray and keep a clear look or if youre doing a grey dmg itll let the lettering sahow through. This is not the case however, there are other brands that still allow for a clear look you just have to find them. Krylon Xmetals is just more available I think. But any spray paint meant for Metal will work.

More than three is fine. I sometimes do up to 10. The coats should be extremely thin.

And that's certainly not true about any metal spray paint not covering up the text or being translucent. Stick to X Metals just to be safe.