I am a guitarist, and I've always been very interested in VGM/chiptune artist. So I decided to give it a shot. Being new, I'd just like some criticism.

http://soundcloud.com/thebigspoon/vgm_greg_v03

I used Reason 5.0 without a keyboard (not sure if that is essential or not). Thanks for listening!

England

keyboards are pretty much essential if you want to make genuine 100% 8bitchiptunes!

haha sorry smile

looking at your youtube vids you seem to be a good guitarist, so just keep going really, the only thing that i felt needed a lot of work was your percussion in the track.

matt's mind

you should check out the music of Danimal Cannon for some good guitar-laden chipmusic.  incorporating what you already know is never a bad thing,

since you're into guitar and stuff.  just jumps to mind...

Brunswick, GA USA

You may want to work on making the drums stand out more (not necessarily more drums, just more snap to what is already there,) otherwise I say you're doing it right.

Canada
kitsch wrote:

you should check out the music of Danimal Cannon.

This would help you:)
Mixing this stuff can be a pain in the arse, from experience. But if you're after Danimal's sound, I think he'd be more than happy to give you some advice.

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm)

Also - an0va has done some good guitar-based work in the past, and rumor has it that we may ever see more in the future.

Yeah... Tune sounds cool but the drums could use work... They're too low pitched and muddy and whatnot...

Also, if you have the time, I need some criticism too... Posted a thread in the forums! Thanks!