Hello everyone pardon my complete ignorance and incompetence in advance. I would really appreciate all the help I could possibly get from you fine fellows here.

I make beats and produce music (in Logic Pro and play electric bass) and have been playing video games since as far back as I can remember. I discovered chiptune recently and have been wanting to get into it. So I went out and got a flash card and LSDJ.

However I have ZERO coding experience and am quite computer illiterate.

So when I bought the required "gear" (a Gameboy,the LSDJ full ROM, and a Kitsch Bent USB smart card 64M), I have been totally unable to get the ROM into the card and use it on my Gameboy. I own a Mac, and I downloaded the EMS flasher, but I have no idea how to run anything in Terminal (where I am supposed to install, compile, or what have you).

This is horribly embarrassing and troublesome for me to ask, but could anyone help with a step by step guide for a complete ignoramus of how I can get this done?

Would be very grateful and many thanks in advance.

Last edited by jnasr (Dec 4, 2012 7:09 am)

Puerto Rico

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7777/ … ge-on-mac/

Hope this helps! I've heard EMS carts and Macs don't get along, wouldn't really know.

Thank you very much will try my hand at it. Hope to return triumphant and not mincing and complaining.

OK I attempted it but I am still too much of a complete noob. Couldn't even "extract" it. I type into Terminal what the tutorial told me to and I got "no such file or directory"

Tokyo, Japan

Clarified title.

Also I failed to mention I am running OS X 10.8. The latest version of "flasher" is 10.6 compatible, that may be to my detriment as well.

Last edited by jnasr (Dec 4, 2012 8:07 am)

México, DF.

Install Parallels Desktop and Windows XP.

Puerto Rico
jnasr wrote:

OK I attempted it but I am still too much of a complete noob. Couldn't even "extract" it. I type into Terminal what the tutorial told me to and I got "no such file or directory"

Download the binaries and skip to step 2.

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 10:52 pm)

Totally failed and with my lack of knowledge I don't want to clutter up my computer with a parallel OS.

I guess I need to borrow or Windows computer from someone, install the software and just drop the ROM in there somehow.

Thank you all so much for bearing with me.

Puerto Rico

Good luck, try again some other time so that you can make regular backups.

Fargo

www.derpcart.com

Freiburg, Germany

The mac command line tool works flawlessly on 10.8, I'm using it with no problems at all.

Here's a short step by step noob compatible set of instructions
Download the binaries and extract them.
Open Terminal from Applications/Utilities.
In Terminal type "cd" followed by a space, then drag and drop the directory containing the tool you just extracted onto the Terminal window, that will insert the path automatically. Press return. (The command should look something like "cd /Users/yourusername/Downloads/ems-flasher-0.03_macos_10.6/"). That will tell your command line to change the working directory to the one that contains the tool and what it needs to work.
To backup your sav, type "./ems-flasher --read filename.sav" replacing filename with what ever you want (but keep the .sav extension, it tells the tool you want to back up the save data and not the rom)
To flash a new rom onto the cartridge type "./ems-flasher --write --bank 1 somerom.gb" ... change the number behind the --bank to 2 if you want to write to bank 2 (the one you get after powercycling the game boy). You can use drag and drop here too, to automatically insert the path to the rom you want to flash, or just copy the rom to the tool's directory and type its name.
You can autocomplete file names in the terminal by pressing tab. You can recall previous commands by pressing up so you can re-use them or edit them.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by lastfuture (Dec 4, 2012 2:34 pm)

Freiburg, Germany
Krubbz wrote:

www.derpcart.com

Is there anywhere where it isn't sold out and I can get one right now? I'd really like one thank you very much.

matt's mind

out of stock everywhere atm

lastfuture wrote:

The mac command line tool works flawlessly on 10.8, I'm using it with no problems at all.

Here's a short step by step noob compatible set of instructions
Download the binaries and extract them.
Open Terminal from Applications/Utilities.
In Terminal type "cd" followed by a space, then drag and drop the directory containing the tool you just extracted onto the Terminal window, that will insert the path automatically. Press return. (The command should look something like "cd /Users/yourusername/Downloads/ems-flasher-0.03_macos_10.6/"). That will tell your command line to change the working directory to the one that contains the tool and what it needs to work.
To backup your sav, type "./ems-flasher --read filename.sav" replacing filename with what ever you want (but keep the .sav extension, it tells the tool you want to back up the save data and not the rom)
To flash a new rom onto the cartridge type "./ems-flasher --write --bank 1 somerom.gb" ... change the number behind the --bank to 2 if you want to write to bank 2 (the one you get after powercycling the game boy). You can use drag and drop here too, to automatically insert the path to the rom you want to flash, or just copy the rom to the tool's directory and type its name.
You can autocomplete file names in the terminal by pressing tab. You can recall previous commands by pressing up so you can re-use them or edit them.

Hope that helped.

So helpful for real. Thank you. Will try this out posthaste!