Jelly Stone park, MD USA

"wouldn't want to disappoint them by allowing the code to escape into the wild"
Know exactly what you mean.
I too would be interested in this option, would you consider a pre-programmed AVR for the midi interface? I'm all about getting my DIY on, so bread boarding the circuit is like an afternoons' work.
Don't get me wrong, I think the current USB setup is beautiful. Can't wait to use Aly James' GUI, just stunning! On the other hand, setting up a MidiBox control surface/sequencer is exciting also.

little-scale wrote:

lol you guys.

i won that race years ago with genmdm v1.0

That's cheating Seb smile

I understand that you don't want to release the code
I thought I'd wait until the firmware update, and adjust the code for "real midi" then if possible.
Yogi's idea  with a pre-programmed AVR is good I think.
I'm in

ad-hell-aide

I'm into the pre-programmed AVR. I think this is a great compromise and everybody gets what they want.

What would people want / need apart from the pre-programmed AVR?

So is this FMDrive a vst emulation or a vst frontend for the interface?

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

If there are no differences, as in timing, for the SMS/Gen Cart code, I.E no need to re chip the cart; I can source any needed parts for an AVR interface board local (if I don't already have them around here). I've built 'Adruinos' on proto board, so there no mysteries about the generic UNO circuit.
So really, speaking for myself, in addition to an AVR, the pinout/Sch and/or a Brd file. But I'm not too concerned about a Brd file, for a one off for myself. After all's said and done, to me, it's just as easy to point to point wire it as etch and drill my own.

ad-hell-aide

Exact same cart smile

Matthew Joseph Payne

I'd take one of those PCBs for sure. heart

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Sweet!

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

>Downerczx I think FMDrive is a VST front end for the MD/Gen interface, but I could be wrong. What ever it is, SynthMaker standalone or VST, it sure look fantanstic! Aly James has a very good eye.

ad-hell-aide
yogi wrote:

If there are no differences, as in timing, for the SMS/Gen Cart code, I.E no need to re chip the cart; I can source any needed parts for an AVR interface board local (if I don't already have them around here). I've built 'Adruinos' on proto board, so there no mysteries about the generic UNO circuit.
So really, speaking for myself, in addition to an AVR, the pinout/Sch and/or a Brd file. But I'm not too concerned about a Brd file, for a one off for myself. After all's said and done, to me, it's just as easy to point to point wire it as etch and drill my own.

Actually I had a dream overnight that would solve this problem.

I am going to try and fit a software serial port onto an unused GenMDM pin to handle MIDI input.

Then, for those wishing to have MIDI in from a traditional plug, you can breadboard or solder the pre-programed Teensy onto a MIDI in circuit, and simply by holding a certain other pin to ground, you can then use the software serial version and then use the MIDI input.

OR perhaps a UART. or something.

i guess my point is I had some good thoughts on it in dream mode. big_smile

The programming is very modular and segmented, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Give me a few days to think about this, but it could be a VERY flexible solution and I'd happiy make a tutorial on how to perform this mod.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Yea, that is perfect!! Keep up the dreaming!!
Midi data rate should be doable with a soft UART Rx. Not sure of your internals' overhead, but as long as its: SoftSerial DIN midi OR USB native midi, shouldn't be a problem. A simple Rx routine without error checking, about 10-20 extra ISR instructions, as opposed to a hw UART.
Just had a quick look at the Arduino's SoftSerial Lib, and it appears that the stock lib does 115.2 Kbps max, as I'm sure you know. More then fast enough. Couple weeks ago I  finished a GM5 USB x 5MIDI interface, USB is native and the 5 serial IOs are soft ports. Don't know Polytec's internal code (got to be using all ASM code with a  higher opt level then the Arduino's lib), but it tells me the AVR has the guts to do it with a 16Mhz clock.
This is too cool.Very excited \o/

Nottingham, UK

Seb. King of kings.

if its going the pre-programmed avr route I think most people would be fine with just the chip, schematic and perhaps a breadboard layout.  With the arduino at least, all other required components you can pick up at any electronics shop.  The only issue ive had with some microcontrollers is sourcing correct inductors when needed, or occasional  crystals or resonators.

I think alot of people would appreciate this mod, and it would allow you to retain complete control over the code.  Thanks for mulling it over - I also love having moments of electronic inspiration come to me in dreams.

matt's mind

i'm up for whatever expansion/alternative/DIY/hack PCBs/parts that come out for this project...

Milwaukee, WI
kitsch wrote:

i'm up for whatever expansion/alternative/DIY/hack PCBs/parts that come out for this project...

I know I suggested the current word bubble, but can we please put this in the CM word bubble?

FRANCE
yogi wrote:

>Downerczx I think FMDrive is a VST front end for the MD/Gen interface, but I could be wrong. What ever it is, SynthMaker standalone or VST, it sure look fantanstic! Aly James has a very good eye.

Thanks ;-) Actually FMDrive 2612 is a VST SYNTH I have done prior to know the existence of GenMDM.
I am a MD lover and I needed something to play with with full live control in a DAW. I needed Anything but a tracker. I first used VOPM , YM2151 based, so it was close enough but  lacks of easy automation and GUI.

So I decided to make mine for personal use. Started from scratch with the help of some devs FMDrive2612 is YM2612 based with full MIDI automation and custom made controls (some parameters from the 2151 where included, (DT2 coarse detune,Multiple LFO waveforms...) and some nice tweaking (controls over the DAC, Noise floor, Megadrive 1 Headphone output...HD mode..) and nice controls on the EG (global envelope generator rate ratio, original parametric or custom graphic envelopes up to 8 stages...control over the SSG shapes...).

It is not a straight binary emulation so it is not based on any existing core. It has been Almost fine tuned by ear with a real MD1 hardware.
C code based and later assembled inside the synthedit framework so it is win VST 32Bit Only ^^

It is close enough to let you use dumped instruments parameters or create and experiment your own.
It can output classic MD sound or pure clean to very dirty sounds if you mess with the DAC & BITS control...
There is also the DAC part that let you import 4 wav samples and the CH3 Special mode.

Later I decided that the Synth migh be released around JAN or FEB 2013 and will probably cost 12$ :-)

With a GenMDM freshly ordered I decided to turn the FMDrive2612 GUI into a VST MIDI controller, besides it will need some customization to feat the GenMDM latest firmware. When I will receive the GenMDM, probably in 3 or 4 months from now, I will do the final tests and offer the controller version for free.