Oh, about that wire. It's indeed a sort of coating. If you want to solder it, simple hold the tip in molten solder for a few seconds. The coating wil melt off and the solder wil stick to the wire.

No need to scrape it off or burn it off. Takes some practise tho.

Los Angeles

Yeah, though normally I just use a lighter and burn off the paint, takes 1 second, trick is to burn it for a quick second so it doesn't blacken up and need cleaning.

Freiburg, Germany

Thanks for the tip with the arduinoboy but I want USB MIDI so I can use everything over one cable

Last edited by lastfuture (Dec 4, 2012 12:25 pm)

lastfuture wrote:

Thanks for the tip with the arduinoboy but I want USB MIDI so I can use everything over one cable

TeensyBoy is using USB Midi, that why i'm currently porting Arduinoboy on a Teensy (becoming a TeensyBoy). When you plug Teensyboy usb port it is viewed by your computer as a midi device automatically.

Freiburg, Germany
xray303 wrote:

TeensyBoy is using USB Midi, that why i'm currently porting Arduinoboy on a Teensy (becoming a TeensyBoy).

Ah interesting. The nanoloop USB MIDI adapter is still my weapon of choice though because it is cheaper, preprogrammed and smaller, too.

lastfuture wrote:
xray303 wrote:

TeensyBoy is using USB Midi, that why i'm currently porting Arduinoboy on a Teensy (becoming a TeensyBoy).

Ah interesting. The nanoloop USB MIDI adapter is still my weapon of choice though because it is cheaper, preprogrammed and smaller, too.

You're right ... and i'm still working on ArduinoBoy code port for the teensy so it is not available right now ..

Freiburg, Germany

Phew, I have come pretty far today. I've basically wired everything up except for the capacitor trash80 talked about and I'm experiencing the same things he has, so what I've done so far is all good. That means so far if I don't connect the Game Boy's power to the USB hub the iMic and USB MIDI adapter talk to my computer. Only when I try powering the Game Boy via the hub does it draw too much power and the iMic and USB MIDI adapter seem to be left in the dark.

This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: Huge success! I could verify that my logic and soldering was sound (I counted 36 solder points) and I know how to fix the next problem because of trash80's helpful comment. Oh man I have to tell you the soldering was nerve wrecking. I'm definitely not very experienced with soldering, this was maybe my fourth or fifth session in which I soldered something. Those contacts are tiny!

I might also just take the easy route out if for some reason the cap doesn't work: A second USB cable just for power wink so in any event I'll get this thing up and running. Let's hope it's the elegant one cable way. Photos following soon, I'm exhausted now.

Edit: Oh yeah I ended up using a different brand's USB hub, from the looks of it it might have even been the same or very similar to the one trash80 used. it had proper cables and none of that coated stuff.

Last edited by lastfuture (Dec 10, 2012 12:55 am)

Freiburg, Germany
trash80 wrote:

Maybe adding a nice 5v regulator for the soundcard may help without causing much issue- I didn't spend too much time on it.

I've reread the thread and this just got me thinking... the Game Boy does have a nice 5V power regulator .... would anything speak against soldering the +5V and GND of the iMic and the USB MIDI adapter to that instead of the usb hub?