Freiburg, Germany

Hi,

I'm looking for a decent C64 emulator for Mac OS X 10.8 to try out different music making interfaces. I had VICE in the back of my head but the download links for the native cocoa versions on their Mac download page are dead. Is it even supported in 10.8 anymore?

I'll start composing on real hardware eventually so the emulation doesn't have to be top notch but I need to ask somebody I know to write a floppy for me with the software I want to use. I want to try a few options before I'm telling him what I'm comfortable with and what he should copy for me.

Cheers

England

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/ has the most recent versions of vice. Their website which always comes up in searches hasnt been updated in a long time, if thats where you got it from smile

also have you tried goattracker?

Last edited by Jellica (Dec 10, 2012 8:55 pm)

Freiburg, Germany

Oh thanks!

And yes I've had a lot of fun with goattracker so far. Haven't produced anything other than a few tests but I've familiarized myself with the registers and tables and had a blast figuring out the modulation of pulsewidths, how to make arpeggios, having registers wrap around etc. Very much to my taste. My worry is that I'd want to hear it on real hardware eventually and I have no way to get a .prg goattracker created into the C128 right now.
Goattracker produces very nasty rhythmical glitches on my machine which are very apparent in instruments with slow decay, resulting in rhythmical jumps in the waveform about every half second. I'm not sure if that is something that's wrong in the Mac version of goattracker, if it's a very faithful emulation of a behavior of the C64 that is expected or if my settings are off.

Last edited by lastfuture (Dec 10, 2012 9:51 pm)

Freiburg, Germany

OK I'm failing hard here. VICE is installed and awesome, but in order to start using SDI I have to press the insert key. My MacBook has no insert key and I have not found any key that performs that way. I've also tried fn+Enter and several other suggestions with no success. ... Help?

England

some discussion here:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/9323/ … sert-keys/
dont know if that helps.

otherwise get a computer with proper buttons n shit :P

Last edited by Jellica (Dec 11, 2012 10:04 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

insert on a c64 is shift-delete and vice should act that way too (if not on the default keymap then on one of the others, i can't remember if it starts on a logical or a positional keymap)

doesn't help too much on a mac where you don't have delete either... but maybe you can do shift-fn-backspace or something

Freiburg, Germany

I am... it's called C128 tongue
But holy cow I've finally figured it out. INS on the C64 keyboard in VICE is Shift+DEL, and DEL is fn+Backspace on a MacBook keyboard, so it's actually fn+Shift+Backspace

uhajdafdfdfa

haha ;P