Massachusetts, USA

I think it's worth noting that "lame" is also discriminatory language, as well as the R-word, which I see thrown around a lot and it always makes me cringe.

http://www.r-word.org/

Gorinchem, The Netherlands

At some point in history, the French academy would refer to certain painters as 'impressionists' and meant to offend and slander them when doing so. These painters eventually adopted it as their official name in a 'fuck you' to the establishment and wore it as a badge of honor.

It's not unconventional or impossible for groups to take a word back like that. Sometimes the negative context is forgotten or ignored by many over time. Regardless, the mods are entitled to their language intervention, so I think at the very least we should stop pretending that anyone's free speech is being subverted here.

uhajdafdfdfa

yeah i don't think "gay"/"retarded" as synonyms for "bad" and "faggot"/"bitch" as synonyms for "weakling" are acts of positive reappropriation or a "fuck you" to the establishment by the gay/female/ID communities somehow

i doubt there is going to be a really heavy handed application of this, it is probably just to stop everyone calling each other faggots all the time.

babylon
sammulligan wrote:

I think it's worth noting that "lame" is also discriminatory language, as well as the R-word, which I see thrown around a lot and it always makes me cringe.

http://www.r-word.org/

i think its cool someone mentioned this. i work with people that have developmental disabilities and have done so for years. its always weird to hear people use the r word and mostly a losing battle to try to convince them why they shouldnt. though i have heard some people i take care of call each other the r word as an endearment/joke type thing and i think its rad as fuck.

Last edited by walter b. gentle (Dec 15, 2012 7:30 pm)

Andromeda's Black Hole
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

Yes it is considered insensitive by the moderation team.

Political correction sucks. Ill acept it, but it sucks.

Lo que yo hago es gritar las porquerias en otra lengua.

NC in the US of America

Do professionals still refer to mentally handicapped/developmentally challenge as being "R-worded" anymore?

I use that word when referring to a section of a song in which the musical device "Rit.(Ritardando)" is employed. Is that offensive/insensitive? e.g. "The ending of that song shouldn't be r-worded guys. It loses energy that way."

Edit: whoops... sorry. Didn't mean to bump a 2 hour old thread...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Dec 16, 2012 12:06 am)

Seattle, WA US

zomg guys I was quoting a meme and this wasn't even a rule yet and I got banned come on

Seattle, WA US

we are not professionals

babylon
SketchMan3 wrote:

Do professionals still refer to mentally handicapped/developmentally challenge as being "R-worded" anymore?

unfortunately yes. theres been huge strides in care for the disabled but not all states and companies have caught up. the word does still get used ( a lot here in texas) by some companies that assist disabled. but other companies ive worked for would fire you if they heard it.

as far as using the word its a little more complex than racist  slurs because it does have an original non offensive usage, and only became offensive through context.

in your example your using the word as a verb which takes away most of the sting and i can say i wouldnt find it offensive, but for the most part theres no instances where it couldnt be replaced with something else.

washington
boaconstructor wrote:

we are not professionals

NC in the US of America
basspuddle wrote:
boaconstructor wrote:

we are not professionals

I meant professionals who work in the field of caring for the developmentally disabled. Just for clarification.

Gorinchem, The Netherlands
ant1 wrote:

yeah i don't think "gay"/"retarded" as synonyms for "bad" and "faggot"/"bitch" as synonyms for "weakling" are acts of positive reappropriation or a "fuck you" to the establishment by the gay/female/ID communities somehow

i doubt there is going to be a really heavy handed application of this, it is probably just to stop everyone calling each other faggots all the time.

Ah, I hope I didn't accidentally suggest that I was going for a side-by-side comparison there. I was merely responding to those who'd argue "I have gay friends who think it's okay so what the fuck?" I meant to agree that it sometimes happens that discriminated groups try to accept and negate the negative words directed at them in such a manner. That doesn't justify keeping them (the words) around, so I think we agree. smile

Man, I think we all could keep going in circles about this stuff forever, but I for one like having this type of convo (explains sudden break from lurking).

Last edited by Nun4t4k (Dec 16, 2012 2:43 am)

washington
SketchMan3 wrote:

I meant professionals who work in the field of caring for the developmentally disabled. Just for clarification.

Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't sure.

It isn't that serious.

shanghai

AMEN zomvor. there is a big difference between saying a gameboy unce track is 'gay'.....than calling someone outright 'you're totally gay / a fag'. Just my opinion. I think people are seriously being pedantic if they get offended if you call a super cheesey track 'a bit gay'.  Ive made that comment of course millions of time,  i wont in future on here, but what i mean is that i would never say to someone 'this song sucks you fucking faggot'.

man i just dont care