Sweden

I really the idea that a streaming video show has to be anything like a live concert needs to go away before I'll spend my time on it.

washington
boaconstructor wrote:

sitting at your desk by yourself playing jams that should be making bitches get dirty and shit

What are bitches?

my mom's basement
basspuddle wrote:
boaconstructor wrote:

sitting at your desk by yourself playing jams that should be making bitches get dirty and shit

What are bitches?

And what is this "getting dirty" you speak of. I hope nothing too vulgar, my virgin eyes could not take it.

Tokyo, Japan

oh man,

"doing webshows is dumb" = dumb. Who wouldn't want the exposure? I mean, every show counts right?!

I perform just as I would at a normal show, just that I'm in my room at home instead. Being at home, I get to do cool stuff that I couldn't do at a live venue -- like dance with my daughter hahaha!

Hudson, MA
boaconstructor wrote:

live concert dvds don't consist of some dude sitting at his desk. going hard during a webshow just looks silly.. I speak from experience... cuz I done that

And of course, if you didn't get the message before-hand, thank you for being a part of it.

It's funny, though, because I keep having people tell me about how they want to see you going crazy for your and EC's set again. I thought you looked like you were enjoying yourself a ton.  Hell, I thought it was awesome, myself.

However, I highly disagree at some points of your opinion.  Let's go down the topics:

1)  Lack of Potential Revenue.

If you're worried about not making money, you should consider promoting yourself through the stream.  If you didn't know we would be cool with you doing that, you totally should have asked.  I would've told you to absolutely do it.

Yes, nobody would buy a DVD of people sitting in chairs or doing something in their bedroom (that doesn't involve naughty bits in one shape or form, of course.)  We're not looking to sell the videos (as I've mentioned multiple times in the message I sent every artist right before the show date;) first it would involve taking money away from what could be going to artists;  second it would be a legal clusterfuck the moment it got to the legalities.  That'd be a scumbag way to go about it.

Hell, let's even say with at least an average of 40 consecutive viewers for every set, that's more people I've seen at half of the venue shows I've been to in the last two years.  If you sold even 10 digital copies of an album at $5 each, you'd be making more than what I've seen people make off their albums at live shows.  You wouldn't have had to worry about travel, paying for booze or the issue of crashing at someone's place or a motel.  I'd say your revenue would be primarily profitable.

2)  It cheapens/invalidates the image of the performer/performance.

I don't see web shows as making image as either an artist or performer cheapened.  I believe people go to concerts for the music first and the performance and social interaction second.  I see it as a way to show a more friendly and personable or welcoming face to the audience.

(Edit:) Also, I assume this means your opinion on busking is similar, considering it's the same level as street performing, which doesn't guarantee any revenue? (/edit)

3)  It's unprofessional.

I think you're putting too much into the idea of where they're playing from versus the fact that new and up-and-coming artists are both getting the chance to promote their work and play with people whom have clearly had their chances to play for live shows.  This is also a great way to hear the music and check out these performers' stage presences, because it's an environment that's naturally less stressful for them.  If you're worried that someone's going to take an established chip artist less seriously, I'm going to ask of you who in our community has the audacity to say people play online are any less professional than those whom do it on a stage?  It sounds hypocritical to me more than anything, since the main difference (in concept) is your location.

4)  It's dumb.

Your opinion is yours to have, but I like free promotion, the potential for networking, the potential to be found by those who go to and/or run live shows and the sales potential to any country that has an internet connection without having to pay for any costs.  All of that without having to leave your house is pretty awesome to me.

5)  Bitches won't be getting dirty to it.

I'd like to direct you to TREYFREY's set during the night you were on Clipstream (Nov. 3rd.) You would've seen how his living room turned from a room into a dance party consisting mostly of a 4-women-to-one-dude ratio.  I'm pretty sure you could get bitches to get dirty (in your words)  wherever if you have the right spin on it.  If they're already in your room, after that stream stops you could keep that party going...  Captain Planet said it best-- the power is yours.

Either way, I'm sorry you see it that way and it's a shame you probably won't consider doing another set sometime.  I still loved your set and support you and your music.  Let me know if you ever change your mind and want to try it again.

Edited for small clarifications, grammar, and one thing I forgot to mention....

Last edited by Glenntai (Dec 20, 2012 3:21 am)

New York

What's with the whole money aspect of this argument?

Are any of you guys actually in this for the money?

Unsubscribe

I think the value of "free" promotion is way over valued. Especially if the streams aren't archived. Put them on youtube or something already.

Hudson, MA
herr_prof wrote:

I think the value of "free" promotion is way over valued. Especially if the streams aren't archived. Put them on youtube or something already.

Technically they are archived over at our channel, but I agree, youtube would be much more effective.  We'll get on that.

Unsubscribe

Wheres your channel? It doesnt have to be youtube, just something achievable and embeddable I think. I dont really know about any of the specific video things mentioned in this thread, im just talking about doing crap on ustream or wherever that is gone the minute you turn the webcam off.

Since G+ has integrated live streams all broadcasts are automatically added to Youtube which is a great feature. They've also got the option for high quality audio in the settings for the stream which makes G+ pretty great for this sort of thing.

Hudson, MA
herr_prof wrote:

Wheres your channel? It doesnt have to be youtube, just something achievable and embeddable I think. I dont really know about any of the specific video things mentioned in this thread, im just talking about doing crap on ustream or wherever that is gone the minute you turn the webcam off.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/clipstream , and videos of the previous shows should be the first thing that pops up whenever we're not live.

Zef wrote:

Since G+ has integrated live streams all broadcasts are automatically added to Youtube which is a great feature. They've also got the option for high quality audio in the settings for the stream which makes G+ pretty great for this sort of thing.

That feature and the capability to broadcast in stereo were two things that made us consider moving over to G+ in the past.  We're more concerned about the video quality, considering the few of us from Clipstream that were on WWCW kept looking terrible whenever we tried to preview what was being sent on stream. 

On a more personal nitpick, apparently Xsplit (my preferred software for making my show more than me "sitting around hitting buttons") doesn't seem to like working with G+.  It caused me to start later than I wanted to and almost crashed my computer as I was loading the WWCW hangout.  That or my computer is outdated as hell and had trouble running things (which, let's face it, is more likely.)

Both have their setbacks, it's just a question of which setback would be worse for us.  We're out to lunch on that.

Edited for grammar, because apparently I sure as hell can't proofread.

Last edited by Glenntai (Dec 20, 2012 5:31 am)

Babylon, NY

i was going to say something about this but then i decided to just type a bunch of unrelated words

Seattle, WA US
Glenntai wrote:

lots of stuff

aha thanks for the kind words man. I very much enjoyed myself, and was glad to receive whatever exposure I gained from it.

I'm sure I came off as pretty cut & dry.. I do that on the internet

I understand all of the appeal of hosting and playing webshows. Allow for me to play devil's advocate and say I don't think we will ever see Homesweet or Sabrepulse joining in on any of these organized webshows (would love to be wrong)

I don't think webshows are dumb.. I see it as a very personal way to share tracks you've been working on with the internet and the people who use it. I think its a good tool for start-up artists who want to be heard (ESPECIALLY with 8bc being gone)

With that said, I think treating them like an actual live show is silly. Yeah I know I dance a bunch when I've done mine (I like to dance #sorrynotsorry) but I do feel weird about it the entire time.. When I dance hard at an actual live show I get the crowd to interact. When I do it on the internet the people watching me probly think "oh he sure is dancing" and not much more.

Its just frustrating because our music is viewed as a novelty from square one because we're using video game shit to make our music. I just feel that taking a webshow seriously is only adding to the novelty from an outsider's prospective.. I don't imagine anybody will live to see the day that deadmau5 and skrill are jamming the fuck out by themselves in their room being broadcasted on the internet. That would be uncool

Seattle, WA US

To summarize:
-they are a cool thing for our community and the people involved in it
-they are bad in regards to showing the rest of the world that we should be taken seriously

Oh and I may even be willing to do more in the future. No sense in not utilizing the tools before me when they are already in effect, whether or not I see it as a benefit or detriment to our music as a whole. Me not playing isn't gonna stop everybody else from doing it

Seattle, WA US

I am well aware that this is going to be an unpopular opinion amongst the chip community based on the personalities and lifestyles of the average chip artist/fan.

I come from what I imagine is a fairly different background than most chipbros and should probably learn to accept that

Edit: &&&&& you guys are putting words in my mouth cut that out

Last edited by boaconstructor (Dec 20, 2012 11:48 am)

Tokyo, Japan

I like how we are all put into a lil pigeon hole by you. wahaha.

Mate, its just a bit of fun. Come on, lighten up smile