Tokyo, Japan

I know piggy has soundfont support but im a bit confused about how they differ from just a collection of samples. Can anyone break down the advantages of using soundfonts in piggy for me. Assume im a complete idiot on this topic....

Never used soundfounts in piggy, but I use the piggy on my PSP.
With .Wav samples you can change the filter, downsample, crush, etc.
I'm guessing with soundfonts maybe you could do the same?

ohio gozaimasu

Soundfonts have built-in loop points, and thus sound somewhat more "natural"

Chicago IL

also you can have more than one sample per preset, like a drum kit, or having a different recording each octave to keep it from getting too pitch-shifty sounding

uhajdafdfdfa

yeah saskrotch hit the nail on the head

the main advantage is that a different sample can be mapped to each note, or to arbitrary ranges of notes-- similar to what most rompling keyboards do. basic volume/pitch envelope stuff can also be done with it -- some of the 808 sounds in the microsoft set (the kick and the tom at least) are just made from sine waves with pitch envelopes, and i think it can also play back more than one sample per note.

i don't know how many of these features will be supported in piggy

the best editor is, i think, viena: http://www.synthfont.com/Viena_news.html

the main application in piggy (which generally produces artificial-sounding music anyway) will probably be drum kits - but putting them together might be more hassle than it is worth. the microsoft GS set (GM.DLS) has 808 and 909 kits in it plus a few others that you can use if you convert it to sf2

Chicago IL
ant1 wrote:

i think it can also play back more than one sample per note.

Yep!

I'm actually working on a little basic soundfont tutorial that I'll post once I get some other stuff done to release with it .

Bratislava, Slovakia

Vienna was native creative labs editor in the days of sb awe64 era but Awave Studio was best in my opinion, very quick

uhajdafdfdfa

viena and vienna are not the same wink

awave is very nice though! i didn't know it had sound-font specific features such as volume envelopes and stuff, but it is definitely worth having anyway!

Abandoned on Fire

Interesting, I never took the time to learn about soundfonts, now they sound really useful.

Unsubscribe

Loop points and mapping should be supported.