Austin, Texas

Hey just looking to buy a modded dmg and had a few questions
Is there much of a difference between sound quality between Rca connections or a prosound 1/8th inch or any other differences I should know.
And one more side question is it a good idea to invest in a faster cpu for the gameboy or is the difference between a cpu 6 and a cpu 8 not that big of a deal either?

Not much of a difference other than form factor. get whatever is more convenient

And CPU revision is not that big of a deal with the later ones. they were all pretty stable

United States

Read the ten page thread on this same subject from a month ago

.FILTHadelphia

RCA looks like junk that's about the extent of the difference.

Most cpu's sound practically the same. There is definitely no speed difference.
Only CPU-1 has some troubles with the wave channel sometimes (i heard). But they are hard to find anyway.

There is no difference what soever in prosound plugs.. Jack, mini jack, RCA. Whatever you use on other machines basically. Makes it easier to combine.

uhajdafdfdfa

part 1:

no, there's no difference in sound between RCA and 1/8" *

1/8" is usually stereo... RCA is usually (always?) mono

so if you wanna process each side of your gameboy tracks individually, RCA is cool because you have a separate output for each side built into your gameboy.

most mixers and stuff use some combination of 1/4", XLR and RCA... hard to find gear that will have 1/4" inputs... but you will probably be buying adapters whatever. 1/4" and XLR are both usually/always mono so RCA might better from that point of view... direct 1->1->1 relationship from gameboy->adapter->input

i would go with RCA but if you have stuff with 1/8" input (pc motherboards and laptops usually do, can't think of much else) and you aren't planning to get more gear then i guess go for that

one advantage of 1/8" is that you can plug headphones in but if you leave the original jack intact when you prosound you can do that anyway

› Show Spoiler

part 2:

i'm not sure it's possible to switch the CPU in a gameboy very easily at all... it would be easier to just buy a different gameboy. but i think all the DMGs are the same speed really. if you want it faster you should get a GBC or one of the advance models (not the micro!).

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Something that nobody has mentioned; RCA fits far more snuggly that 1/8" jacks.  If you're planning on using it in a performance setting this can be important as it'll be far less likely for the RCA jacks to become disconnected.

Aside from that, there's no real difference at all.  Some people prefer the aesthetics one way or the other, personally I couldn't care less about the aesthetics of my 23 year old plastic brick.

Why choose?
Have them all!
http://www.ninstrument.com/?page_id=285

washington

IMO, 1/8" jacks are much easier to install than RCA jacks.

But you can't deny that lovely red/white scheme of the RCA jacks,especially when they match one's gameboy perfectly big_smile

You can convert pretty much anything into any format now with adapter cables, so it's basically convenience/personal preference. I've been going with 1/8th" personally just because my stereo system at home uses it, but I'm thinking either RCA or 1/4" are more Robust for live stuff. Take your pick.

Melbourne, Australia
basspuddle wrote:

But you can't deny that lovely red/white scheme of the RCA jacks,especially when they match one's gameboy perfectly big_smile

...why stop at red and white? smile

washington
uXe wrote:

Ha, I got them because I already had a red/white gameboy big_smile

Louisiana
uXe wrote:
basspuddle wrote:

Oh my! I want some green ones! Where find these?

*jumps on googles*

Edit: found them and for a decent price too!

http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/pr … ts_id=6821

Last edited by Vex (Dec 29, 2012 6:08 am)

Milwaukee, WI
Vex wrote:
uXe wrote:

Oh my! I want some green ones! Where find these?

*jumps on googles*

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/REA … lN9X2is%3d

smile

Houston

The blue and the white would look epic together. wink

washington

^Those wouldn't fit in a DMG