Holland
Jellica wrote:

the one problem with bandcamp is that the streaming is so slow, you can't listen to a track unless you let it buffer for a few minutes first. not just on my home internet either.

I never had any of those problems. Not at home, work, my university, hotels, et cetera.

Swansea, UK

Jelliface, are you using internet explorer? Is that your dirty secret?

England

Firefox.

Its a free service, so its just a minor annoyance in cases where something isnt available for pay what you like or whatever. Other streaming services are fine (Soundcloud/youtube/etc..) so I guess I am the only one sad

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 15, 2013 10:23 am)

East Kilbride, Scotland
Saskrotch wrote:

so what is bandcamp supposed to do with this information

This was my thought too. You're encouraging Bandcamp to tell people to sell things in a way (free/cheap at live shows) that cuts out their 15% share, so I can't see them endorsing it in a blog.

Chicago IL, USA
donotrunwithpixels wrote:

thousands of people could discover the joy of giving away something that's cost them moolah.

you don't seriously believe this do you? Even the ones who sit there ranting for days about how they don't care about the money  and just want to make music out of love will throw a shit fit if someone posts their album for free somewhere. If people were gonna give out free cd's they probably are already. Even if every music website ever posted your email, most people would probably be like, "bah. Give my music out for free? Good one old sport" as they polish their monocles and wait for someone to download their 15 dollar albums.

NC in the US of America
SadPanda wrote:

thousands of people could discover the joy of giving away something that's cost them moolah.

you don't seriously believe this do you? Even the ones who sit there ranting for days about how they don't care about the money  and just want to make music out of love will throw a shit fit if someone posts their album for free somewhere. If people were gonna give out free cd's they probably are already. Even if every music website ever posted your email, most people would probably be like, "bah. Give my music out for free? Good one old sport" as they polish their monocles and wait for someone to download their 15 dollar albums.

I think giving product out for free is different than having said product Robin Hooded out from under you. Especially when it's face to face and there is yet a possibility of still making money off of it.

@slow-streaming: I've had that problem with cm.o's music straeming, but never with bandcamp. Hm.

Brunswick, GA USA

In the OP, point three is strongest. If you're not going to meet people there is literally no reason to play out.

I've noticed slowness relating to the quality of the stream, though what really keeps me from surfing Bandcamp for music is lack of a volume control.

Last edited by chunter (Jan 15, 2013 2:32 pm)

Swansea, UK

Chunter - you're totally right - The artists that I'm a biggest fanboy of are those that share their process, that write about their music, that connect with people on a personal level, that bother tweeting back to fans, and that put the effort in to talking to you! Lightspeed Champion, Get Cape, Incubus, Jack Conte, Fink, Edison, etc... all do a great job of making YOU part of their thing.

If I'm going to reach a larger audience it's going to be because I look after the people already coming to my shows. If I talk to them, have a beer with them, hug them (appropriately!) and generally show an interest, then they'll come back to another show, and may even bring their friends. It kind of makes me question my motives, but I genuinely love these guys - they take time out to see my shows and building a genuine relationship is important. Playing to an empty room isn't so much fun.

Manchester, England

I agree with chunter, I hate having no control of my volume

@defPREMIUM - Same answer as I gave Saskrotch - I can post on a couple of forums and on my twitter feed, and maybe a few people will read this - Bandcamp could blog about it and thousands of people could discover the joy of giving away something that's cost them moolah.

oh- ha.. guess i missed that one.

I'm just listening at http://kineticmonkey.bandcamp.com/ sounds realy nice, makes me want to get a free CD!.

Nice music! And nice adventure to tell!

Swansea, UK

Cheers, mate! Come to one of the shows! Swansea's not that far away.

And in the mean time, download the Eee Pees. They're free like the sunshine!