IL, US
chunter wrote:
Monotron wrote:

For people who have played some stuff live in a public setting how did it go for you?

There are threads about this already, the real answer is that you don't know until you try.

I once played in a used video games store in a college town two hours away, it went well, but it's too far for me to go there with any frequency.

was that the thing in 2009? i think its one of the 2 gigs i missed due to illness (that and beep south 2)

Brunswick, GA USA
e.s.c. wrote:

was that the thing in 2009? i think its one of the 2 gigs i missed due to illness (that and beep south 2)

I think so... It was a nice idea but they tried to book people who had way too far to travel for it. It was still s fun time and the store managed to get a lot of sales.

IL, US

yeah must be the same one then.. i got sick, minusbaby had another gig, not sure if lissajou ended up going or not?

Brunswick, GA USA

The other performers were Brett Moots, Yatagarasu, and Bubblegum Octopus.

Czech Republic

Ondřej just called me and posted me his sites, want to give me one of his new toys big_smile
he designes Standuino synths in these days
here are the links, if anyone interested:

http://www.standuino.eu/devices/instrum … -angelico/
http://www.standuino.eu/devices/instrum … uangelico/

ryba wrote:

The first person I heard about using Gameboy to make music was Ondřej from Duo (sometimes Trio) Hugo & Zoe from my hometown Brno.
Hugo & Zoe (Vocal & DMG1+Nanoloop) are playing gigs since 2007 and they are not labeled here on Chipmusic or wasn't labeled on 8bc.
Ondřej also make some stuf with Arduinos and make Custom gameboys (Prosounding, Backlighting etc...), circuitbent and they cooperate with fashion shop called Minimon.

Last edited by ryba (Jan 26, 2013 10:18 am)

Kiel, Germany

I tried to get the german scene together for the better part of 2010, culiminating in the Lowbit compilation and the pixelated party in Frankfurt, which was organized by g0dlike (who now makes future garage post-dubstep) and had a great turnout. But after some shows with zero turnout, a very dissapointing second comp and due to me sucking at advertising myself and finding good gigs, it went nowhere.
I know some guys are still active, but there's no real scene to speak of. Well, except for Stern Fucking Zeit, who pretty much are the scene at this point imo. At least they still get gigs n stuff.

Kiel, Germany

Honestly, both 8bc and Myspace were the greatest help at getting people together, 8bc for not only including creators of chiptune and some angry nerds, but also regular listeners, and Myspace for generating a bigger audience for the music. Now, there's no place where regular people can get a quick look at a artist, style or genre really.

San Francisco

Im in San Francisco and i honestly am such a hermit that i have no idea who is even around. anyone from sf on here?

IL, US

yeah, sf has a solid scene... starpause, crashfaster, matthew payne, wedanceduntilwesawthesun/e.n. cowell, etc... tthey were doing monthly gigs at one point, not sure the current status of pulsewaveSF

Matthew Joseph Payne
lVoVl wrote:

Im in San Francisco and i honestly am such a hermit that i have no idea who is even around. anyone from sf on here?

Most of the San Francisco scene isn't on cm.org.

I play shows as Matthew Joseph Payne and I used to be in The Glowing Stars - the scene around here is pretty robust, we've got Crashfaster, Starpause, A-Rival, Together We Are Robots, all kinds of cool people! Morgan from Crashfaster puts on shows at DNA Lounge. Sometimes Slime Girls and some other south bay folks come up to party.

Austin, TX

Is there anyone here doing it up in Austin or Dallas? There are definitely a few people on cm.o I've seen from those places, but I'm not sure how many are still active/in the area.

San Francisco

Oh snap. Thanks for the info. Ill have to look into those. if anyone in SF wants to get in touch just email me [email protected] or message me on here id love to get out more.

Serbia,Belgrade

I am the only one in my whole city as i am aware of now.

Andromeda's Black Hole

Silver Spring MD. Chiptuner population: me.

or at least as far as I know. Theres this really awesome thrift store here and the workers there have a pretty respectable collection of old gameboy cartridges and hardware. Maybe one of them plays come chip.

What would be a good idea is to sell the EMS cartridges in thrift stores, and advertise LSDJ on a local level. What people could do is go into the store with a credit card or have a paypal account, go through the donation process for LSDJ under supervision of an employee, and then charge like 2 dollars to flash it into the EMS cartridge that would be sold in the same store. those 2 dollars could go directly to the LSDJ fund, and most of all, you can get more people on the local scene to make chiptunes which is great.

Chicago
Saskrotch wrote:

bad

yeah, chicago is pretty dead.
but the weird thing is, theres actually quite a few of us.

IL, US
pivot. wrote:

Silver Spring MD. Chiptuner population: me.

or at least as far as I know. Theres this really awesome thrift store here and the workers there have a pretty respectable collection of old gameboy cartridges and hardware. Maybe one of them plays come chip.

What would be a good idea is to sell the EMS cartridges in thrift stores, and advertise LSDJ on a local level. What people could do is go into the store with a credit card or have a paypal account, go through the donation process for LSDJ under supervision of an employee, and then charge like 2 dollars to flash it into the EMS cartridge that would be sold in the same store. those 2 dollars could go directly to the LSDJ fund, and most of all, you can get more people on the local scene to make chiptunes which is great.

maybe, but doesnt that put you right by dc? dauragon is there