I had forgot Freq 801! it's nice. I should manage to install Yamaha XG on my Windows XP... I don't know why I can't make Legacy Drivers work, I read that it's possible.

Last edited by autorun (Dec 10, 2012 1:25 am)

Abandoned on Fire

I'm playing around with Reality Adlib but the documentation is pretty short and sweet.  If you (O2star) or anyone else could give me some more info on these points I'd appreciate it:

1.  What is "algorithm" in the instrument editor?
2.  Does this tracker have access to the "percussion channels" like AD2?
3.  Any way I can change either the color palette or font?  shits hard to read, yo

Thanks!

Planet Zaxxon

1. Good question! I have no idea what that means.. haha
2. Only Adlib Tracker 2 has percussion channels option, and is OPL3 allowing 18 channels. RAD Tracker is OPL2 and only allows 9 channels.
3. I think the layout is fixed unfortunately. sad

Chicago IL

I mean, in FM synthesis, algorithm is the order in which the operators modulate each other. I dunno how different it would be in reality adlib tracker, unless it's only 2-op. In that case it might be a choice between 1->2->output, 2->1 output, 1+2-> output?

Planet Zaxxon

Yea i saw stuff like that.. but why just have an ON or OFF function for algorithm ? Does it mean "ON" for FM, and "OFF" for AM ? who knows!!

Praha, Czech republic

RAD is OPL2-only (IIRC a patch exists enabling OPL3 waveforms, but not the four-op modes and 18 channels). Thus algorithm means the same thing as CNT in the following diagram (taken directly from the OPL3 datasheet):

Basically, turning algorithm ON means "use AM" (op1 summed with op2), turning algorithm OFF means "use FM" (modulate op2 with op1). It's misleading really, one would assume ON means FM ON.

Praha, Czech republic
egr wrote:

3.  Any way I can change either the color palette or font?  shits hard to read, yo

It actually resets the palette on start, so even if you reprogram the palette system-wide before running RAD, you're short of luck.

So to answer the question, no easy way that I know of. Perhaps programming a palette changer as a TSR might work. How important is this palette business to you? :]

Abandoned on Fire
kvee wrote:

How important is this palette business to you? :]

Its not critical, i was just hoping for an easier to read font.  smile

Thanks for the algorithm info, thats exactly what i needed to know!

Praha, Czech republic

Well I went ahead and tried some things and I was able to manipulate the palette with a quick and dirty hack

Unfortunately, it doesn't work on real hardware. I had this problem resolved earlier, can't really remember what the fix was though neutral

edit: I was able to also force-reset the font to the system default like this:

If this is useful to you, I can post the hack, though it's strictly dosbox only as of now.
(the palette is user-editable of course)

Last edited by kvee (Feb 1, 2013 7:25 pm)

Brazil

Just a plain question:

Is there significant difference from hardware over DosBox? I want to start doing some FM myself but I won't be able to look over old hardware.

Praha, Czech republic
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Just a plain question:

Is there significant difference from hardware over DosBox? I want to start doing some FM myself but I won't be able to look over old hardware.

Well, the emulation is pretty close (as the chip itself is digital) and there is no noise. I'd say go DOSBox, unless you specifically like the "real deal" approach.

Brazil
kvee wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Just a plain question:

Well, the emulation is pretty close (as the chip itself is digital) and there is no noise. I'd say go DOSBox, unless you specifically like the "real deal" approach.

That's nice. So I will try some FM with my DosBox then big_smile

Abandoned on Fire
kvee wrote:

Well I went ahead and tried some things and I was able to manipulate the palette with a quick and dirty hack

Unfortunately, it doesn't work on real hardware. I had this problem resolved earlier, can't really remember what the fix was though neutral

edit: I was able to also force-reset the font to the system default like this:

If this is useful to you, I can post the hack, though it's strictly dosbox only as of now.
(the palette is user-editable of course)

The font change looks like it would really help me but I'm on hardware at the moment (p1 labtop thus tiny resolution which is part of the problem lol).  If you remember how to make it work I'm very interested!  Color change is nice too.

Praha, Czech republic
egr wrote:

The font change looks like it would really help me but I'm on hardware at the moment

Well, you're lucky then. I just tested it, and the font changing works on my 386SX system just fine! :]

http://software.kvee.cz/radf.zip

- place radf.exe and font.cfg directly inside the RAD folder
- use radf.exe instead of rad.exe
- font.cfg is IT font compatible

radf.exe makes the system timer routine reload the font every tick (but only for the first 32 ticks,
or approx. 1.75 s, to not disturb the RAD playback routine)

It's still very ugly, but hey, it gets the job done :]
Enjoy!

(sorry about the confusing edits, I found a bug immediately after I wrote this and had to fix it...)

Last edited by kvee (Feb 1, 2013 9:23 pm)

Austin, Texas
autorun wrote:

I had forgot Freq 801! it's nice. I should manage to install Yamaha XG on my Windows XP... I don't know why I can't make Legacy Drivers work, I read that it's possible.

Legacy drivers only work on an MSDOS based version of windows, to my knowledge. If you have a computer with the proper hardware (that is, an XG chipset connected to an SB-Link header on the motherboard), they should work fine.

I've managed to correctly install the legacy drivers and run AT2 in Win98SE on a computer with an XG chipset, but no sound — I don't have a motherboard with the right SB-Link header to use the OPL3 functionality.

Abandoned on Fire
kvee wrote:
egr wrote:

The font change looks like it would really help me but I'm on hardware at the moment

Well, you're lucky then. I just tested it, and the font changing works on my 386SX system just fine! :]

http://software.kvee.cz/radf.zip

- place radf.exe and font.cfg directly inside the RAD folder
- use radf.exe instead of rad.exe
- font.cfg is IT font compatible

radf.exe makes the system timer routine reload the font every tick (but only for the first 32 ticks,
or approx. 1.75 s, to not disturb the RAD playback routine)

It's still very ugly, but hey, it gets the job done :]
Enjoy!

(sorry about the confusing edits, I found a bug immediately after I wrote this and had to fix it...)

Success!  My tired eyeballs thank you!