its a perfect medium for distributing news on new releases to people who would otherwise not see our work!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DigitalFo … 8227636747

now get on it and make your pages sexy

East Kilbride, Scotland

I really hate Facebook.

I say no to that idea, and yes to mailing lists. I love a good mailing list.

Huddersfield, UK

Hmm. If the music on the label is more 'dancier' and has a lot more younger fans than the norm then I guess why not?

I don't see how it would make a lot of difference to labels like pause and 8bp though, there's definitely an older audience involved and I can't see why they would see the attraction of being able to keep up to date with label news if they hardly use Facebook anyway.

The TCTD RSS feed should cover most peoples tastes smile

Liverpool, UK

inb4 twitter

Minneapolis
Sycamore Drive wrote:

I really hate Facebook.

I say no to that idea, and yes to mailing lists. I love a good mailing list.

This. Also, RSS is good. I refuse to use facebook, because it's a social liability and a crutch for those with no social skills. It embraces the kind of frivolity that social interaction should grow out of after high-school.

uhajdafdfdfa

If a netlabel is promoting themselves on facebook, that doesn't negatively impact on non-facebook users (Sycamore Drive tongue). I don't use it myself, but it seems like a great way of promoting something to a potential audience of millions of people without spending any money. What's to lose?

Camden, London

Both are good. Facebook would be good for letting friends know what you're up to, and friends make a good root for a fanbase to develop right?

Unsubscribe

Attn Labels; Streaming samples of the record, REAL HOSTING, Active pushing of your artists outside a link on this forum.

Roanoke, VA
arfink wrote:

.. I refuse to use facebook...

I keep wondering how much I'm shooting myself in the foot for still not joining up.  Functional - vs. - annoying.  So many people post links to FB, forgetting that there's an occasional curmudgeon out there.  Oh, well...

I think there's nothing wrong with FB'g something as long as you attempt to make sure that it's elsewhere, too.  MySpace does still exist, and doesn't require membership for surfing, either.  Providing options to sign up for e-mail lists or RSS feeds is great, too.   ..Shoot, someone might eventually care to do postcard-mailers, just for the heck of it.

[p.s. Streaming is sweet -- allows you to listen from any computer.  Plus, you can just simply listen, instead of having to extract/tag all the files every time.]

England
herr_prof wrote:

Attn Labels; Streaming samples of the record

this is summink i'm struggleing through at the moment, cant get damn players to display neatly/properly, not even the nice little bandcamp ones. bah.

Unsubscribe

How about archive.org? Or free music archive?

Last edited by herr_prof (Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm)

this is something I've always been curious about with chip 'net labels', seems like hosting isn't much of a problem these days compared to promotion.

Liverpool, UK
herr_prof wrote:

How about archive.org? Or free music archive?

herr_prof wrote:

Attn Labels; Streaming samples of the record, REAL HOSTING, Active pushing of your artists outside a link on this forum.

8-|

Unsubscribe

Those are real hosting. Im referring to shit like mediafire. Archive.org will be around a long time, same hopefully for FMA.

Liverpool, UK

Fair enough - but I am of the position that if you can't be arsed to pay a few bucks for a hosting package, then why even bother? I have no issues with artists self-releasing through these sources, but it seems pointless in my eyes to do that via a netlabel!

Unsubscribe

I think its up to you to provide the most exposure for your artists. How many chip websites have bitten the dust so far, yet the releases remain on archive?

anyways STREAMING!