London

Hi guys,

I’ve got some uni essays to write, can I pick your brains as some of my research? smile

One of them is on the speed of composing changing with the introduction and advancements in technology.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this? I’m kind of thinking in terms of composing on early computers/DAWs compared to like a MacPro running ProTools, or things like using hardware synths compared to VSTs.
Also does anyone compose without any tech, like scoring for orchestra and then do the same genre in software, and how does that differ in speed?

Finally, does anyone run something like Cubase 1-3 on an Atari as well as a modern DAW (ideally Cubase 6) that could possibly do a few tests on speed to enter MIDI data etc.

Cheers! smile
Jack

nashville,tn

from my experience using that kind of technology has greatly increased my usage of aleatory or accidental elements in composition via a destructive/random cut and paste techniques. i can use the tech to quickly come up with musical sequences i would never think of otherwise.

Brunswick, GA USA

Adding to this, prior to learning sequencers if I composed I wrote to paper just as quickly as I punch in a tracker now, meaning that the handwritten music is more deliberate, less "jammed."

When I wrote to manuscript I could write faster than I could punch notes into notation software.

London

Awesome smile Thank you very much. I hadn't really thought about what you write on a computer and how you'd write it on an instrument differing.