Murcia, Spain

Hi guys.

I tried to backlight an MGB today, but once everything's done I turn on the console and the screen shows nothing. Is it that I've broken the ribbon cable? I was extremely careful while removing the two layers from the screen, and haven't noticed any cosmetic flaw after doing it either...
I was thinking if maybe I had the ribbon cable badly connected to the motherboard... but doesn't look so.

Please tell me I haven't ruined another handheld xD

EDIT: Pictures:

Now looking for MGB LCDs here:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10226 … d-working/

Last edited by DogTag (Feb 17, 2013 3:41 pm)

Santa Cruz, California

I think you're boned.
The pocket has a very delicate screen and zebra strip... you could have damaged it just by bending it back.

Murcia, Spain
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I think you're boned.
The pocket has a very delicate screen and zebra strip... you could have damaged it just by bending it back.

Then I shall declare it dead... : (

Santa Cruz, California

Don't toss it out. It could be good for parts.
Also, someone might know exactly what's wrong with it, tell you how to fix it, and make me look like a colossal ass-hat.

Murcia, Spain
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Don't toss it out. It could be good for parts.
Also, someone might know exactly what's wrong with it, tell you how to fix it, and make me look like a colossal ass-hat.

Hope so, but not meaning the last part : P

Santa Cruz, California

Hey man, if I never get proven wrong, how the hell am I supposed to learn anything?
But, yeah, I hope I get proven wrong on this one. It sucks when you brick something you're trying to modify.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 16, 2013 7:12 pm)

Pictures always help people solve problems on here.  Loads of pictures.  Different angles.

Jyväskylä, Finland

Have you tried to apply some pressure to the ribbon cable right under the screen while system is on? I had similar problem when I first tried to backlight my MGB.

Murcia, Spain

@Pale I have, and nothing.

I've added a few pictures to the first post.

Jyväskylä, Finland
DogTag wrote:

@Pale I have, and nothing.

I've added a few pictures to the first post.

Uh oh, then there's really nothing you can do.

Santa Cruz, California

Boned...
That pink case is SICK!
Do want! Trade?

Murcia, Spain
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Boned...
That pink case is SICK!
Do want! Trade?

No way man, I LOVE it hahahahaha.

I'll make a new thread in the Trading Post and see if I can find some spare LCDs with the film removed.
Thank you guys.

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Boned...
That pink case is SICK!
Do want! Trade?

Yo, you should get a clear pocket and paint it pink from the inside.  That would look so nice!  I got a clear pocket and painted it yellow from the inside and then stuck white buttons on it.  I call it my bananaboy.  It's what I use for all my portable writing.

Murcia, Spain

Now looking for MGB LCDs here:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10226 … d-working/

Madriz, Supain

Oh man, my heart hurts. Ill find more MGB's for you.

Murcia, Spain
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Oh man, my heart hurts. Ill find more MGB's for you.

Don't suffer, it's fixable xD