London

Hey guys,

I'm looking at an STE on gumtree. It's a 1040 STE but on the ad he also mentioned FM.
I asked him about it and he said "It is a STE with FM out additionally... the FM is for TV"
Can anyone explain that?

Cheers smile

The Rubber Man

Well, You didn't give any link.
However,for my taste, the guy is deceiving somehow.

STE is STE.

And STFM is another machine (simpler). Hence - should be cheaper, for example.

F=floppy (on-board)
M=TV-modulator (on-board).

STE has both features and muuuch more. So the guy seems to be deceptive.

London

Ah sorry, this is the gumtree post, the rest of the info was on emails
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/atari … 1008092579

Thanks. Thats what I thought :s I can't quite see from the images what model it is sad

Nomad's Land

If I remember correctly, the absence of a stereo RCA output indicates that this is indeed a STFM, not an STE.

The Rubber Man
threesecondsecret wrote:

Ah sorry, this is the gumtree post, the rest of the info was on emails
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/atari … 1008092579
Thanks. Thats what I thought :s I can't quite see from the images what model it is sad

Yes dude, now we can see the machine. smile
And IP is right - there are no connectors for stereo 8bit DMA sound, hehe.
The only audio output goes from the monitor connector (just like in my ATARI machines I make music on).
This is NOT STE, heh.

This is 1040STFM. Which You can use for 3-channels chiptunes on MusicMon / maxYMizer.
Or to some digital multichannel stuff but with audibly lower quality of sound than real STE has.
If ym2149 chip is enough for You, then go for it.
If You're looking specially for STE model - this is not the one.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink
(I go back to my STFM now ;-) ).

London

Okay sad Thanks very much.
If its going to have a noticeably worse sound quality and capabilities then I'll probably wait, unless you think is still worth is, seems like a reasonable price to me?
There was a boxed 1040STE on ebay the other week, with cubase, mouse, vga adapter and some other software.
Maybe I'll save up for something like that next time one comes around.

Cheers guys! smile

The Rubber Man

Threesecondsecret:

> Okay sad Thanks very much.
If its going to have a noticeably worse sound quality and capabilities
--------------
Oh, I wouldn't put it in THIS way. wink  wink  wink
I'd rather say that STE has audibly better sound quality than ST has. wink If You don't mind. wink wink

Of course even this small doze of humour isn't such an easy matter.
ST can play MOD with 50kHz quality and STE can. But for ST it's kinda 90% of CPU, and for STE it's 10%-20% (like I said, with the maximum quality of 50kHz).
More differences start later. 6ch of digi-music for instance. Full CPU power of ST, with quality about 22kHz. On STE the same song is again with 50kHz quality - and it takes only a half of the CPU's power.
Going up, STE still can play 8ch MOD with the same 50kHz quality (eating this time 90% of CPU) while ST can play 8ch, taking all CPU, with far lower quality, which would be about 17kHz.

Another thing is with synthetic music (chiptunes). MusicMon sound the same on both, so You'd rather use maxYMizer.
And here we have one main difference. On ST maxYMizer uses 3 channels. On STE it has additional 2 channels of digi sound.

> then I'll probably wait, unless you think is still worth is, seems like a reasonable price to me?
There was a boxed 1040STE on ebay the other week, with cubase, mouse, vga adapter and some other software.
Maybe I'll save up for something like that next time one comes around.
------------------
Sadly I couldn't say anything about prices, as they're so different in all countries.

Greetzzzzzzzz,
Y

Last edited by YERZMYEY (Feb 17, 2013 2:44 pm)

London

haha I see wink
Okay thank you very much smile I'll make a plan, I don't really see myself pushing it hard, I'm probably more likely to sample it, so I guess I can get away with running 1or2ch at higher quality. hmm
I'll have a think and keep an eye on ebay smile

Cheeers smile

The Rubber Man

Of course, that's obvious - take Your time.
And don't listen to me - a reinforced-concrete-fan of ST series. wink
I always try to prove that Atari ST sounds better than anything else wink
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10237 … usic-fans/

London

Agreed, I was converted when I heard the No Second Prize soundtrack haha
I can't listen to the whole album, I'm in a lecture wink but it sounds awesome smile is it totally Atari?

The Rubber Man

Hello,
yes yes, nothing more. And recorded from real machine. Some of traxx require 2Mb of RAM 'though.
Best regards,
Y

London

I always look at the ports, often machines were mislabelled or sometimes recased. Particularly you'll find STFM often have STF cases, my first Atari was like that.

London

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind