Hello everybody,

I made a quick definition of chiptune, chipmusic, 8-bit sound. For me, all of these terms mean different things. I put audio examples.

http://woolyss.com/chipmusic.php

Is it correct ? What do you think ?
Thank you for your help.

MA

Good Job!! wink

Athens, Greece

http://chipflip.wordpress.com/chipmusic/

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

When someone asks me about chiptune I always just send them to your site

Thank you very much everybody !

@Mano, yes I know this page. You wiil see me on comments ! wink It's a great definition of chipmusic. A link on this website is at the bottom of my webpage. Me, I done a different approch, with audio examples.

@Reteris. Waoooow ! I am honoured ! The website is not finish at all. I improve it on my spare time. Big thank for your support !

FERNDALE, MI, USA

very well done. big_smile

Thx a lot octavialsilver ! wink

The concept of "chiptunes [that] are fake" is a fallacy.  The demo and chipmusic scene was started by using SID samples on an Amiga, so to claim they are any more or less "real" really belittles the hard work they put into it.  Mayhaps "sample based" or something to that degree.

I'd also remove mentions of "8 bit soundchips" since Sega Genesis is very 16-bit and GBA is also used (more so in the future with the advent of M4G) which is 32 bit.  It's really extraneous to even bother with the "8 bit" moniker anyways.

A section on the different types of synthesis involved may be nice.  Just a short blurb describing different chips have different capabilities and what they have.  Subtractive synthesis, FM, AM, additive, what have you.

I also feel it may be nice if you had sound samples from all soundchips you have listed.  Just the same song recorded on all of them and/or a very simple samples to show what they each sound like.  There's no mention of PCEngine which, while not as popular, is still rather sexy and could see more popularity if MML catches on.  It may be prudent to mention some popular interfaces on there such as trackers, MML, and VSTs.

There's VERY little mention of the SMS or Genesis/SMD.  You have a comparison of the different parts of it, but no explanation of the comparisons existence.  Finally, the Ricoh 2A03 is NOT a soundchip, it is, in fact, a CPU based on the MOS Technologies 6502 with some added capabilities.

Generally, not bad, but there are some glaring issues and omissions here that really need some fixing.

PS: You forgot MOS 6582. tongue

uhajdafdfdfa

I think it's pretty good, and I wouldn't worry too much about going into depth on synthesis, all the different consoles and MML, like Beware wants you to, because it's a "quick definition", not an encyclopedia.

Seems like you've neglected Chip Metal

Thank you guys!

@Heosphoros, I added this genre and put a MP3 of Machinae Supremacy. thx 4 help !

@Ant1, thank you too. Sure, it's a quick definition... and I want it stay like that ! But, I think it's good to talk about MML and specifities of each sound chip. (I have got them already on my computer). I will open new sections on the website.

@Beware,
It's a very good help that you gave me. I noticed all. I fixed some issues and I continue. Big thx ! wink

Anaheim, California

good definition, you have a great website overall jikoo

@Ant1: I don't think he needs a deep section on anything, just a slight passing mention of it.

Very glad to see some of those changes!  Hoping for more!  Still have the term "real chiptune."  tongue

Thank you Russolo and Beware. I continue to improve. wink

I updated the webpage.
http://woolyss.com/chipmusic.php

wink

Montreal
Beware wrote:

I'd also remove mentions of "8 bit soundchips" since Sega Genesis is very
16-bit

Well there nothing inherently '16bit' about the YM2612, its a discreet chip driven by an 8bit address/data bus. It could easily be driven by a 6502 for example. So its not that black and white. smile

Last edited by plgDavid (Mar 22, 2010 1:12 pm)

A gray world of dread

I always thought that the term referred to the output resolution. Not that that would make a xBit categorization easier, since DACs and stuff mess with the discrete-ness as well. And every system uses it's own trickery to further complicate things. If I remember correctly, the OPL uses an 8Bit table to form the rising quarter of a sine and just flips that, making the output 9bit (not counting the DAC that seems to operate with floats and likely adds some kind of interpolation).

Last edited by µB (Mar 22, 2010 2:49 pm)